Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the Future of Democracy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I don't recall any of this 'uproar' you're talking about, and genuinely haven't seen any evidence of it. If there was such a "bad taste in a lot of people's mouths" at having to vote again, surely they would have voted No in protest? But wasn't the No tally in the mid-30%, or something like that?

Ok maybe you don't read the same papers, watch the same tv or listen to the same radio stations that I do but I think that the disquiet at having two referendums on Nice is well documented not least of which on this forum. I think Nice 2 was voted through out of apathy more then anything else as people thought well if we vote no then there'll be another referendum. I also think that if we never had Nice 2 then it would be more likely and straight forward for the government and EU to plough ahead with Lisbon2 but they've had a shot across their bows and long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Ok maybe you don't read the same papers, watch the same tv or listen to the same radio stations that I do but I think that the disquiet at having two referendums on Nice is well-documented not least of which on this forum.
    If it was so well documented, then you should have no trouble finding, say, a newspaper article or two to back up your claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Ok maybe you don't read the same papers, watch the same tv or listen to the same radio stations that I do but I think that the disquiet at having two referendums on Nice is well documented not least of which on this forum. I think Nice 2 was voted through out of apathy more then anything else as people thought well if we vote no then there'll be another referendum. I also think that if we never had Nice 2 then it would be more likely and straight forward for the government and EU to plough ahead with Lisbon2 but they've had a shot across their bows and long may it last.

There's a lot of "I think" there, but no real substance outside of your opinion (which is fine obviously, but it's not going to make me believe that there was an 'uproar' that I missed). Like djpbarry said, if it's so well documented, then you should be able to provide some links at least? It was only 2002, after all, and the net was alive and well.

Advertisement