Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico Opinions

Options
  • 01-07-2008 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

I'm seriously considering switching from Utv to Perlico's Phone & Broadband deal. Its amazing value.

I've heard Perlico had a bad reputation but since Vodafone bought them they're improved massively.

Is anyone else on here signed up with them? Any major issues? Would you recommend them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i would be weary
    ntl seems the first top choice in this country atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭peejay1986

nuxxx wrote: »
    ntl seems the first top choice in this country atm

May be top choice but not the best value in my opinion. Perlico are offering some great value deal.

Why would you be weary?

cousin had perlico not so long ago and they restricted him from downloading any files bigger than 6 mb :eek:
    i suppose if all you needed the internet for was email and sufting they would be ok

cousin had perlico not so long ago and they restricted him from downloading any files bigger than 6 mb :eek:
    i suppose if all you needed the internet for was email and sufting they would be ok

Did he got over his download limit and then get restricted? Do you know if this was before Vodafone bought them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Crappy mail server I think, 6mb is small nowadays but its OK if your customers are on dialup.

• Advertisement

budget broadband

HUH? :|

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Parents run Perlico Broadband on the 1MB package with a 10GB cap, to be honest it works fine and the usage checker works fine with it too,

They certainly don't limit the size of a file a person can download as I was downloading files at 1.4GB while I was visiting the parents house.

In fairness as with any ISP I wouldn't be too worried about their mail server offering (I've not used it myself) just use your own domain/hosting or gmail :)

Yeah I use Gmail anyways.

Thanks for the opinions so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

peejay1986 wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering switching from Utv to Perlico's Phone & Broadband deal. Its amazing value.

I've heard Perlico had a bad reputation but since Vodafone bought them they're improved massively.

Is anyone else on here signed up with them? Any major issues? Would you recommend them?

Don't go near them. We have them at home. Terrible service. Awful technical support and it's next to useless if you plan to use xbox live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

May be top choice but not the best value in my opinion. Perlico are offering some great value deal.

3Mb for €20 (€26 if not TV subscription). I'd be amazed (including line rental) if perlico can come close to matching this.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    3Mb for €20 (€26 if not TV subscription). I'd be amazed (including line rental) if perlico can come close to matching this.

I need a package that includes free international calls as I study in the UK and my mother needs to stay in contact. I couldn't find this service with NTL. Its primarily a good phone service I am after but I want one with ideally 2mb broadband (at least) included.

I need a package that includes free international calls as I study in the UK and my mother needs to stay in contact. I couldn't find this service with NTL. Its primarily a good phone service I am after but I want one with ideally 2mb broadband (at least) included.

Have a look at a VOIP provider like http://www.blueface.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

6mb wow thats crazy, I'm currently downloading half life 2 after I bought it off steam and its like 700mb, more crazy is that fact that I've ISDN

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Have a look at a VOIP provider like http://www.blueface.ie

Yeah I've looked in to that, my mother wouldn't entertain the idea.

Fair enough. I've used them for 3 years now and couldn't be happier.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

VoIP is great and offers many helpful options but tends not to be as reliable as a standard PSTN line and also not very attractive to the less tech-savy people out their.

Also initial investment of an ATA can be abit expensive for some people

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

I have it for about a year and changing to NTL.Too slow and 44 euro.NTL giving me 20mb and free call local&national for same price and less contention rate.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maximus444

I've had a package from perlico for over 2yrs now and never had a major issue with them,i switched to them from eircom who were a joke.
    Whats this about a 6MB download limit????
    I download linux distros all the time which are over 4GB's in size.
    Plus over the last few weeks vodafone must have switched the whole system over to their network because i'm on the 2mb package but since a few weeks ago i have been downloading at 3mb and over and my upload has increased as well.
    But at the end of the day everyone seems to have their own problems with whoever their with,but NTL seem to have the worst reputation,I would have switched to them long ago with the speeds thay have but everyone i know who's with NTL complains about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 hogeybear

I've been using Perlico for over 2 months now and since I switched from Eircom (Alleged good value) I have had endless problems. I "have" the 2mb option and I never get over 300 kb download. As a matter of fact my upload is over 300 mb!! I have been onto them about 6 times in the last month and haven't had any change yet... Everytime I ring them I am told that the problem has been logged and cleared. I have gone through EVERY option with the online team but they always tell me to reset the router and disable my firewall. I have changed my router THREE times and have used both wireless and a direct link. When I check the router config it says I have 416 download and 384 upload!! Uselss provider if you ask me. Even if this is a line issue it would have been sorted by now with eircom. I am fed up....... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

i hate them too. i was on to them yesterday asking to be switched to low interleaving so i could improve my ping in games. and they told me to go to eircom. i explained that eircom would not listen to me as i am not an eircom customer and that they woukld have to ask eircom for me. eventually after calling eircom and ringing them back they said to call back today and ask again and maybe just maybe they switch to low interleaving. i want my old connection back. perlico are also not upgrading users from 2mb to 3mb.what is my position here if they refuse to put in a request when i ring them today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Griffin87 wrote: »
    i hate them too. i was on to them yesterday asking to be switched to low interleaving so i could improve my ping in games. and they told me to go to eircom. i explained that eircom would not listen to me as i am not an eircom customer and that they woukld have to ask eircom for me. eventually after calling eircom and ringing them back they said to call back today and ask again and maybe just maybe they switch to low interleaving. i want my old connection back.
    perlico are also not upgrading users from 2mb to 3mb.
    what is my position here if they refuse to put in a request when i ring them today ?
    Thats not true at all, like I said in your thread regarding it you were talking to someone who is ill informed and frankly someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. All Eircom resellers are getting an upgrade.

Ping from Perlico 1 meg:
    Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 36ms, Maximum = 39ms, Average = 37ms

The connection was here when I moved in and I just pay it myself but I'd dump them if I knew I was staying here long term.

Another thing to add about Perlico is that they drop the PPPoE session every four hours. (the equivalent of a dial-up modem disconnecting you every four hours) So the DSL modem has to reconnect and doesn't always do so right away so you could experience a 1-2 minute outage every four hours. Just happened to me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=56
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=56
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=56
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=56

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
    Minimum = 47ms, Maximum = 49ms, Average = 48ms

here are my results for my 2mb connection.

and karsini i think the problem is with there dodgy zyxel router i changed to my old netopia 2247 eircom router and do not get the disconnect problem half as much as i used to

Your ping is higher than mine! I'm not using the Zyxel router, rather I'm using an AVM Fritz!Box 7140.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maximus444

"I "have" the 2mb option and I never get over 300 kb download"
    I don't know if its the same issue I had hogeybear but a couple of months ago the same thing happened to me,as in my download speed dropped to around 300kb,so I rang perlico and logged a fault on the line.They couldn't see a problem on their end,i discovered after a day or 2 the problem was I had connected my Sky box directly into the phone socket without a filter.Unplugged the Sky box and got my 2mb speed back.Maybe this could have been on perlico's technical support list of questions they ask customers,just maybe.

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=56
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=56
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=56
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=56

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 12ms

Results from perlico 2mb connection!

311372059.png

Advertisement