Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OZ VISA

• 01-07-2008 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hey guys,

My brother wants to head to Oz in September - he's 31 and because of this, Usit and <snip> are insisting he get sponsored by an employer over there before they grant him a visa. I'm helping him as best i can to get sorted - ain't easy though when we don't know anyone over there!

Anyhow, I've looked into him getting the visa on his own - I've registered him with the Oz Visa Office - they don't seem as gung ho on the employer bit organised before departure but I'm only as far as registering him and so, they might mention this at a later stage.

He's heard of it being easier to enter Oz if you go to New Zealand first for few months....

What's people's experience in all this?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I'm no expert on these visas but I belive it's pretty hard to get into Australia for any extended period of time without being sponsored by an employer / spouse / immediate family member.

The 3 month tourist visa is open to anyone who hasn't been in Australia in the last 3 months. You can't work while on that visa but it is the easiest and quickest way to get into Australia. New Zealand might have a similar 3 month tourist visa, maybe you could do 3 months in NZ and 3 in Oz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

a few options .. skilled migrant Visa
    can take up to 9 months to go through
    or a 457 - business visa, so you have to get an employer to sponsor you.
    It is easy to enter Oz, doesn't matter if you go to NZ
    but you will be on the 3 month holiday visa
    you can look for work over there. <edit> look for legal work/business visa</edit>
    but can be pretty expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

hussey wrote: »
    a few options .. skilled migrant Visa
    can take up to 9 months to go through
    or a 457 - business visa, so you have to get an employer to sponsor you.
    It is easy to enter Oz, doesn't matter if you go to NZ
    but you will be on the 3 month holiday visa
    you can look for work over there.
    but can be pretty expensive

Just to clarify, if you're on the 3 month tourist visa you can't legally work in Australia. You might be able to find some 'unofficial' work but it won't be legal.

All other visas are really for if you want to emigrate to Australia and for that you need to apply on the basis of your skills, be sponsored by an employer or have immediate family or a Australian partner to sponsor you. These can take a long time to process and can be very expensive. At 31 I believe your brother is too old for the 1 year working holiday visa.

Advertisement