Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving in Australia

Options
  • 01-07-2008 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place so Mods please move if not...

My family and I are looking at moving to Oz in the next year or so. Most information is easy enough to find but I'm drawing a bit of a blank on cars. Specifically what are the rules around vehicle tax / NCT equivalent and classic car exemptions? I know they have sales tax and a luxury car tax but what about annual tax?

Any info gratefully appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The only thing I know about Oz is that LHD cars are prohibited on the roads over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Basic 3rd party insurance is covered in the road tax system known locally as Reg'o - you'll need to have the vehicle pass safety checks to get Reg'o - unlike NCT its not done at centre only at registered garages ( and a few quid can insure a pass from what I heard ). Cars with current Reg'o are always worth more than those without.

As far as I remember the Reg'o could be based on the cars sale value ( but I am certainly open to correction )

You can get fully comp insurance but its not mandatory.

Its mostly like here with good roads.
    Most cars are Auto and there is slightly different rules for driving in different states.

e.g In victoria : in cities in order to turn right you must stay as far left as possible until you get the green (crossing not only oncoming but traffic travelling in the same direction !) and in NT there are no speed limits on open roads. (I cannot remember any funnies in WA or NSW but I am sure there is a few )

one thing I remember as strange is European marks are valued much higher than the local stuff or Japanese - so old Citroens and Fiats etc are considered exotic.
    Unlike here the mechanics seem to be able to keep them going too!

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

That's exactly the stuff I was interested in, thanks!

So if I follow you the Rego on (for example) a slightly older M3 / M5 would be similar to a newer 320 or 520, if values are comparible? And there is no cc or CO2 based tax?

Mmmmm, I like this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

They hate speeding over there(cue the ad about speeding questioning your manhood), and speed limits are strictly enforced(with lots of cameras). On the plus side they like big engines, 6 and 8 cylinder cars are much more common than over here, and they're not into diesel either:)!

As for cars, Opels and Chevys are sold as Holdens though but most of the brands and cars we're familiar with are found over there, but with much better(larger, more powerful and more cylinders) engines. There are a few local specials like the Holden Commodore(Vauxhall VXR8 is based on this) the Ford Falcon, and a few American market cars like the Toyota Avalon, but by and large they get what we get. Japanese cars and Aussie cars have the indicators on the wrong side though.

That's exactly the stuff I was interested in, thanks!

So if I follow you the Rego on (for example) a slightly older M3 / M5 would be similar to a newer 320 or 520, if values are comparible? And there is no cc or CO2 based tax?

Mmmmm, I like this!

Speeding and DD are particularly hated in Victoria, but rife in most of Oz.

Please don't take me literally on how Reg'o is calculated - but its not too expensive and is clearly not related to CO2 or CC at all.

Personally - I would buy a Holden Monaro SV8 - cheap as chips - loads of leather and as much sideways action as you can chuck a stick at. There is also a v6 twin turbo ford falcon ute thats supposed to be a hoot and they are genuinely cheap - talking about 20k new if I remember correctly.

one last thing to remember is that in the country at dusk you really do need to watch for roo's they will do some serious damage to your motor and whats worse you.

• Advertisement

Actually not as cheap as I thought - now I know the names I was able to find the correct info on the Victoria state website. Herself drives a 2.0 X3 which costs €7xx a year over here. Based on the value of an equivalent one over there I'd be paying over €900. Since we'd be upping the insurance anyway the 3rd party cover isn't going to save the difference.

Actually not as cheap as I thought - now I know the names I was able to find the correct info on the Victoria state website. Herself drives a 2.0 X3 which costs €7xx a year over here. Based on the value of an equivalent one over there I'd be paying over €900. Since we'd be upping the insurance anyway the 3rd party cover isn't going to save the difference.

Ford did a beautiful SUV there - cannot remember the name of it though.

To be honest all Euro manufacturers are silly prices there compared to the local stuff which is often quite good - the Aussies love their cars and won't buy crap like we tend to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well from what i remember the rego is based on clylinder numbers

Certain states, NSW, mean a test every year

Qld needs a test to sell a car or else you have to take the plates off. If you keep it refo'd in QLD you dont have to test it

All cars in WA must have an immobilser fitted.

Think the rego on my 4 cyl mitsubishi was $500 or there about. Additional ins (optional) was dirt cheap, even with no no claims

Speeders get some fine. Was caught doing 28k over the 100k limit and got a $250 fine and 4 points off the ozzie licence.
    they can clock you as you drive towards a moving police car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The state of Victoria is pretty much a model police state from personal experience and from anyone else that I know that has lived out there. They have one of the highest densities of Gatso speed cameras and random breathalyzer testing in Australia and probably in the world.

They were also the first province in the world to introduce compulsory helmets for pedal cyclists, now mandatory throughout Australia. Vicroads is currently in the process for re introducing frontal registration plates for motorcyclists, Banned in the UK and Ireland since the early 70ies. Only India and Singapore require them to-day.

Thanks, we were looking at Melbourne, I hadn't realised it was quite such a nanny state.

Anyone know if there are classic car exemptions?

• Advertisement

Thanks, we were looking at Melbourne, I hadn't realised it was quite such a nanny state.

Anyone know if there are classic car exemptions?
    I had a 67 VW Splitty kombi out there in 1994, no problems, in fact I could never get done for speeding because it could barely reach the speed limit. If I got pulled in by the cops they were more interested in the van rather than anything else. Only bit of advice if you intend buying a classic is to make sure you are mechanical minded and that there is a fast C.O.D of spares availible. Nothing worse than been stuck in the outback!

You must have "Rego" (Motor Tax) on all vehicles which will also require an "NCT". Rego will cover TP personal injury insurance only and will not cover any property damage to anyone you hit. You would want to be a bloody idiot not to take out separate third party property damage insurance (Not compulsory in Australia as yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My rego for a 2001 Hyundai Accent 1.6 litre engine is less than $350 dollars. Car insurance for the year was $1000 for fully comp.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    My rego for a 2001 Hyundai Accent 1.6 litre engine is less than $350 dollars. Car insurance for the year was $1000 for fully comp.
    I enjoyed Perth, is Trains Planes and Automobiles and the Hippy club still about?. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Good thread, im moving out to Perth soon so tis quite helpfull.

Didnt realise cars were so expensive out there, i have an Alfa 147 over here and was looking at prices there on the internet and the price of them in Oz is crazy!! i thought maybe its just because its European, so had a look at the price of Celicas and there just as expensive if not more than they are here.

Think i'll get one of them Holdnen moraros, I remeber seeing them when i was over there, they look great...

Advertisement