Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC...no broadband availability in Donnybrook?

Options
  • 01-07-2008 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Have moved into a new house in Donnybrook, close to the village. Anyway arrived in the house and was happy enough to see that there were NTL points in all the rooms and, downstairs found a disconnected digital TV box, NTL cable modem and wireless router left behind from the previous tenant. Grand I said, shouldn't be any hassle getting set up here.

Rang up UPC yesterday as a new customer, she took my bank details, I told her what TV package we want etc, then she tried to end the call saying "ok thats all set up" or something and I said hold on what about broadband. She said actually no there's no broadband available in your area, it says it on the computer here. I was a bit puzzled by this since there is a cable modem sitting in the house obviously used by the last tenant. So I told her about this and she sounded really surprised that there was a cable modem there and said she'd ask one of the tech guys about it and ring me back. I don't expect a call back to be honest.

So, is there any reason why she would say this, or is it actually possible there is no broadband available in the area? Being so close to the city center I would have thought there would be no problems getting broadband there.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

She said actually no there's no broadband available in your area, it says it on the computer here. I was a bit puzzled by this since there is a cable modem sitting in the house obviously used by the last tenant. So I told her about this and she sounded really surprised that there was a cable modem there and said she'd ask one of the tech guys about it and ring me back. I don't expect a call back to be honest.

I am in the same boat - just got off the phone with NTL, have digital TV with them, in Dundrum, and been told I have no broadband in my area. :(

What is up with that?

Also, does anyone know what the story is with eircom broadband and a phonewatch alarm, will it disrupt my connection and say knock me out of an online game? Is it a case of having to get a phonewatch technician out to put a filter on the line going into the alarm?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There certainly have been posts on here in the past where people were told that there was no bb available only to discover that it was subsequently so might be worth persisting with them. Any chance of asking any of your neighbours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I know someone 30 seconds from my house with NTL broadband. NTL told me it wasn't available to me. They said my address came up as Courtyard apartments even though I live in a house. They said they'd get back to me in 2 days to confirm. They never did. I rang them. The girl was an ignorant cow. I decided to go with Smart and pull out of the NTL TV package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I know someone 30 seconds from my house with NTL broadband. NTL told me it wasn't available to me. They said my address came up as Courtyard apartments even though I live in a house. They said they'd get back to me in 2 days to confirm. They never did. I rang them. The girl was an ignorant cow. I decided to go with Smart and pull out of the NTL TV package.

This is the kind of thing UPC really need to sort out. They currently have the best widely available broadband on the market but their customer care really needs improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Well to update you all on this, I am actually impressed by UPC for a change!

I had a strong feeling the address she used for me was wrong. I actually took a look at the lease and noticed it doesnt mention the housing area I live in, so I rang up UPC the next day. I got through to a lady and explained to her my issue, she said she would send the rep who spoke to me previously an email and would ring me back.

Suprisingly I got a phone call back about half an hour later, and she was very helpful and actually wanted to sort the issue. We found the correct address, don't even know where they got the other address, it's very similar to mine but not on google maps. Turns out I do qualify for broadband, chose my package and it was installed today. I was most impressed by the attention of detail by the sales rep, she actually ensured my last account was properly cancelled for me including the direct debit, and actually called me back when she said she would, nice change from previous experiences with chorus NTL.

I think this is one of those rare times though that it actually works out...for now (fingers crossed)

• Advertisement
Advertisement