Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dentists

• 01-07-2008 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Has anyone been to the dentist latley?
    I went to get a filling last week and it cost me 70euro,the last time i had a filling which was last year it cost me 35euro

whats with the huge increase?so much for PRSI:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Easter Europe. Watch Hostel before you come over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Sherifu wrote: »
    Easter Europe.

Easter Europe. It's like Nuclear Winter. Eggs every day. The chocolate kind. Brush all you like, eventually you'll have to head to the dentist. And once you get there, he'll charge what he pleases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Easter Europe. It's like Nuclear Winter. Eggs every day. The chocolate kind. Brush all you like, eventually you'll have to head to the dentist. And once you get there, he'll charge what he pleases.
    Is there life on Mars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I have to get two fillings apparently at 70 euro a pop. I'm not very happy about it but it isn't that much money and I'd rather keep the teeth I still have.
    I might as well ad: The robbing bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Sherifu wrote: »
    Is there life on Mars.

Yes.

No dentists though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Has anyone been to the dentist latley?
    I went to get a filling last week and it cost me 70euro,the last time i had a filling which was last year it cost me 35euro

whats with the huge increase?so much for PRSI:mad:

Maybe if you ate more chocolate you'd have more fillings, and get better value out of your visit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Fillings I've gotten have cost 90 the last few times.
    One summer I'd to get 5 fillings, check up...and.. maybe an xray, spent at least 500 quid.

dentists are expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I haven't been to the dentist since primary school, is it really necessary?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I haven't been to the dentist since primary school, is it really necessary?

Not at all..chicks dig dentures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Who needs teeth?

There's plenty of tasty nourishing soup available!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Degsy wrote: »

Dentures are so good these days, women would never know! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Me bollix to private dentists and trips to far off corners of E Europe where you will save something measly like 40 euro and have little recourse if it goes wrong. I had what must have been 400 worth of work done for 35 euro in the Trinity Dental College by a student (you know you`re getting on when a girl carrying out a medical procedure on you is around the same age or younger :eek: )

Tip for leaving cert lads on the horn: TCD dental college appears to be 90% female students. Of which at least 80% seemed to be worth a belt.

A class like that provides a pretty good hit rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

shane86 wrote: »
    Me bollix to private dentists and trips to far off corners of E Europe where you will save something measly like 40 euro and have little recourse if it goes wrong. I had what must have been 400 worth of work done for 35 euro in the Trinity Dental College by a student (you know you`re getting on when a girl carrying out a medical procedure on you is around the same age or younger :eek: )

Tip for leaving cert lads on the horn: TCD dental college appears to be 90% female students. Of which at least 80% seemed to be worth a belt.

Will they make up a set of dentures? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

dentists should be made display prices to encourage competition. seriously though it's a ****ing rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dentists should be made display prices to encourage competition. seriously though it's a ****ing rip off.
    One good thing about this downturn of the economy is that once you get layed off you can get a medical card once you get on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Will they make up a set of dentures? :D

They do a Dental Technologist course there, so they might well do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

the dentists should pay us , +1 for being scared of gettin my teeth drilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Degsy wrote: »
    The voice of experience...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 noeld6

hey has anyone been to hungary for dental treatment, thinking of dental work done there few crowns etc , anyone had treatment done?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

*kisses medical card

Although once they find out your on the medical card, I suspect they're less likely to suggest fillings and whatnot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

noeld6 wrote: »
    hey has anyone been to hungary for dental treatment, thinking of dental work done there few crowns etc , anyone had treatment done?:P

As said previously you are far better off with the Trinity Dental Hospital. In there it is still 1973 :) Amazing how few people know about it (or lucky, actually. Seeing a if it was more widely known getting an appointment would be impossible) Google them.

I wouldnt believe any of the dental tourism rubbish tbh, your talking about days off work, hotel and 200 for the flight alone, and thats if you are lucky enough to only require one visit. Me? 4 euro on the bus, two hours of horror (those dental dam yokes, ugh!) and I was out drinking that very night :)

Which reminds me, what the fook am I paying PRSI for? I havent seen a GP in 8 years bar needing a cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

As said previously you are far better off with the Trinity Dental Hospital. In there it is still 1973 :) Amazing how few people know about it (or lucky, actually. Seeing a if it was more widely known getting an appointment would be impossible) Google them.

I wouldnt believe any of the dental tourism rubbish tbh, your talking about days off work, hotel and 200 for the flight alone, and thats if you are lucky enough to only require one visit. Me? 4 euro on the bus, two hours of horror (those dental dam yokes, ugh!) and I was out drinking that very night :)

Which reminds me, what the fook am I paying PRSI for? I havent seen a GP in 8 years bar needing a cert.

Quiet about the tcd place....you are ruining it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I paid 100, today, for the repair of a tooth. Money well spent, excellent Irish dentist, wouldn't dream of going abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

I was quoted €1,200 for a root canal before Christmas last year. That didn't include the crown. Irish dentists are taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

*kisses medical card

Although once they find out your on the medical card, I suspect they're less likely to suggest fillings and whatnot.

half them won't even take the card,baxtards.Most people i know who need anything half serious done go up north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

My dentist is a bit of a dickhead. He talks to you in that kinda disinterested condescending way, like Pat Kenny does to his radio/TV guests. The nurse isn't even hot. She looks like a raccoon :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was quoted €1,200 for a root canal before Christmas last year. That didn't include the crown. Irish dentists are taking the piss.

They collect huge buckets of piss when you're under anaesthetic and use it as mouthwash.

This is the stuff if your teeth can last another five years

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/a-painless-cure-for-toothache-on-horizon-1436399.html

The dentist's drill and the toothbrush could soon be redundant.

Scientists at Leeds Dental Institute in the UK have created a solution that mimics the way the body forms new teeth. It can be used to repair holes naturally without the need for drilling and filling.

The same researchers have formulated a mouthwash that kills the bacteria that cause plaque when a light is shone into the mouth.

They believe the mouthwash could be available in three years or less.

The alternative to drilling could be ready for use within five years. It is a new protein that allows the body to repair holes in the enamel on the surface of the tooth naturally.

It creates a scaffold, which attracts the minerals that form enamel in the same way as the body creates teeth.

The substance can be painted on teeth to fill tiny holes before they become large holes full of decay.

The same treatment could be used to fill tiny holes in the teeth's dentine, which cause intense sensitivity to hot and cold food or drinks.

Protein

Because the protein involved is new it must go through safety checks. These are already under way. It is hoped it can begin trials early next year with a view to gaining a licence within five years, said Professor Jennifer Kirkham, the institute's research director.

The mouthwash uses a molecule that is absorbed by bacteria in the mouth. When activated by a bright light it destroys the bug from within.

There is no risk to the patient if any of the mouthwash is swallowed, as the molecule is safe and is already in use in the food industry.

The method, called photo dynamic therapy, has been developed from cancer treatment. (©Daily Telegraph, London).

• Advertisement

so nobodys been to hungary then for dental work ,

http://www.hungarydental.com/com/index.php

Or the Czech Republic, where you can hire a translator and visit the knocking-shops and strip-clubs in the locality. It's probably best to visit these places first, in case you get your nice new gnashers knocked out in a brawl.

http://www.kromeriz.biz/czech-dental-treatment-info.html

hmmm intresting thought i get the teeth done first though , cant believe no ones been there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Went to the dentist 2 weeks ago. 70 big ones for a filling too. Although he said it was a bugger to get at. Normally he said, they are 50 euro.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i already had to pay 2400 for 2 crowns and root canal, in the past 2 years, i need to get some more but not at them prices jeez so will anyone reccomend a dentist in hungary to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I went last week to my mums dentist. I decided I best get em looked at as it had been TEN years since my last visit!!!:eek:

I got them x-rayed and a clinical exam (about 3-4mins of looking in your mouth going glancing over each tooth. Told me my teeth were very healthy for someone who hasn't been in a decade. Although I need to get an old filling re-done as apparently there is quite a large cavity there. Cost me 50 for x-ray and 50 for clinical exam.

Said to come back in 2 weeks to get the filling (€90 he said IIRC) and €70 for the cleaning. That is gonna be sore on the pocket.

Might leave it another 10 years :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone know how much a good teeth cleaning costs? Haven't been since I was about 10

edit:

€70 you say... not bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Undefinable

6 years and counting since I've been, and not planning on it anytime soon. *smiles gummy smile*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Dental Hospital ftw! I've been going there for the past 10 years, the place is fangasmic! (i like dentists though..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

+ 1 to that.

I know because I still go there to get the teeth looked after ;)

• Advertisement

stepbar wrote: »
    + 1 to that.

I know because I still go there to get the teeth looked after ;)

What's the chat-up line with a mouthful of metal and a hose, you big smoothy? :p

Advertisement