Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty power shower - thermostat?

Options
  • 01-07-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a power shower in the main bathroom that feeds off the hot water tank, but I think the thermostat may be broken - can only get boiling hot water out of it, even turning the temp control down doesn't do anything. Was thinking it was the thermostat or some problem with the cold water feed? Obviously I don't really know much about it!
    Question is, is it fixable, or a new shower job? And any ideas how much it would cost to get a plumber to do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Isn't the shower suppose to connect to a cold water supply?

What make/model is your shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Isn't the shower suppose to connect to a cold water supply?

What make/model is your shower?

No its a pump shower that uses water from the hot tank, I think electric showers connect to the cold water supply alright. I'll check the make/model when I get home...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

We have the Triton T90i in our house, I'm 99% sure it's connected to the cold water supply. Ours has the pump too, I think the pump is used to heat the water via the cold water supply.

Edit;

Ours is electric and has a pump, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Zzippy wrote: »
    No its a pump shower that uses water from the hot tank, I think electric showers connect to the cold water supply alright. I'll check the make/model when I get home...

Well if its a pump shower, which takes a hot and cold feed there would be no thermo-stat in it... What would the thermostat regulate?

Are you sure the shower still has a cold feed? If the shower still has a cold feed it sounds like the main mixer valve might be gone...

Is there any filters on the shower you have?

Do you live in an area with hard water?

Pumped showers feed from the tank in the attic are usually fairly reliable....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well if its a pump shower, which takes a hot and cold feed there would be no thermo-stat in it... What would the thermostat regulate?
    This is why I came on here, cos I obviously haven't a clue!
    Are you sure the shower still has a cold feed? If the shower still has a cold feed it sounds like the main mixer valve might be gone...
    No I'm not sure, but this sounds like a couple of good possibilities.
    Is there any filters on the shower you have?
    No idea
    Do you live in an area with hard water?
    Yes, in Galway, the water is very hard indeed. Possible the cold feed/mixer valve is clogged with limescale??

EDIT: Its a Watermill Osprey II Thermostatic shower. Found an online manual so I'll have a look at that and see if it makes any sense!

• Advertisement
Advertisement