Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Cops

Options
  • 01-07-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

Gonna be a lot more of them now...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhgbidaumhey/rss2/
    01/07/2008 - 08:57:48
    The Garda’s Mountain Bike Unit is to expand by one third, it was revealed today.

The number of bicycles on the beat across Garda divisions will be increased by 130 to 489.

The unit will also be rolled out to some Garda stations for the first time.

The Garda Mountain Bike Unit was first established on a pilot basis in two Dublin districts in April 2001.

Within a year it was expanded throughout the Dublin Metropolitan Region and introduced on a phased basis in Cork, Limerick and Galway.

“There are currently over 1,050 officers trained and equipped for mountain bike duties nationwide,” said a Garda spokesman.

“The units have proved extremely popular, with positive feedback from both local communities and business groups.”

Justice Minister Dermot Ahern and Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy will officially launch the expansion of the unit tomorrow at Store Street garda station in Dublin.

“Tomorrow’s launch marks a significant expansion of the unit which will result in a one-third increase in its strength,” the spokesman added.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Good news. I think it really helps give them an appreciation of what we cyclists/commuters go through. I must say I've always found the gardaí to be extremely sympathetic and helpful in any altercation I've found myself in with a motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I was thinking of applying for the Garda just to be a cycling garda a while back... ( yeah ... I admit it )... :o The gear they looks very heavy though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Must have been about 6 years ago, I drifted through the red lights at Christchurch, then cornmarket, then heard a voice behind me saying 'just how many red lights do you think it's legal to ignore'?

'Twas a fair cop. He gave me a mild telling off, and made me promise not to do it again. In fairness, they are two well dodgy junctions. I've been *straight* ever since.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

unionman wrote: »
    'just how many red lights do you think it's legal to ignore'?

Did you answer that question? Or would that just be asking for trouble? :)

I wonder how many of the bike cops are into cycling in their spare time. If you were caught doing naughty things and you had a bling bike, you could possibly charm your way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

I was thinking of applying for the Garda just to be a cycling garda a while back... ( yeah ... I admit it )... :o The gear they looks very heavy though...

Maybe they'll get a pursuit division on high-spec racers for chasing down wayward red light jumpers and bike thieves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Just last week I saw a bicycle garda sneak up on a few kids that were up to no good. The bike enabled him to get to a place that he couldn't have got to in a patrol car and at a speed that he wouldn't have managed on foot. He was on top of them before they could react. It was such a powerful advertisement for gardaí on bikes that it almost looked like it was being staged for a promotional video.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i LOVE seeing a guard on a bike pulling a misbehaving motorist over and giving them a talking to, you know, when motorists put on that contrite sheepish face.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

There was an article on Bike paramedics in CPlus last month I think, it was also a great idea, freed resources like ambulances for 'serious' incidents, while allowing them to get to the scene of an accident to get fast first aid, whilst the ambulances are navigating traffic jams.
    Would probably be a good idea to force all police to do 3 months a year on the bike, to counteract the donut addiction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I never knew so much crime was happening up the mountains, or is this an indirect admittance that our roads and cycletracks are in such poor condition that only an off road vehicle is suitable to use on them. ;)

I broke a light just the other day, looked behind and there was a traffic corps garda car right behind me! Didn't stop me since, I presume since I was safe, helping the flow of traffic and doing it for my own safety -passing an illegally parked car on a cycleway and avoiding taxis/buses in the bus lanes, many of which "buses" are probably illegally using that lane too. Does anybody know the legality of all these buses. Seems anybody with a big car can slap "Johns minibus" on the side and drive in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The Garda’s Mountain Bike Unit is to expand by one third, it was revealed today.

The number of bicycles on the beat across Garda divisions will be increased by 130 to 489.

Odd maths there.

I like cycle cops, they are a great idea. I have unfortunately never bumped into one cycling the same direction as myself and had the opportunity to overtake and zoom away.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the bike cops are into cycling in their spare time. If you were caught doing naughty things and you had a bling bike, you could possibly charm your way out of it.

At least some of the bicycle cops in Perth, Australia are roadies in their spare time. They sometimes wear team jerseys emblazoned with "WA Police" which have the effect of making people give them a lot of leeway. I certainly never gave them sh*t for passing dangerously anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

cantalach wrote: »
    At least some of the bicycle cops in Perth, Australia are roadies in their spare time. They sometimes wear team jerseys emblazoned with "WA Police" which have the effect of making people give them a lot of leeway. I certainly never gave them sh*t for passing dangerously anyway!

i feel a brainwave coming on...

Verb wrote: »
    Odd maths there.
    you're dead right, they should have said 36.2% :D

ruprect wrote: »
    I never knew so much crime was happening up the mountains, or is this an indirect admittance that our roads and cycletracks are in such poor condition that only an off road vehicle is suitable to use on them. ;)
    I think it's to let them get up and down kerbs easier, cos the cycle tracks are all blocked up, they'll need to be on the path with the pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

That's great news. good to see them on the bikes.

Anyone know what bike make they use?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

“There are currently over 1,050 officers trained and equipped for mountain bike duties nationwide,”
    -That's a significant amount of Garda out of a force of 15,000.

Must say, that the introduction of Garda cops has been good all round and it is great to see them out and about.
    Does anyone know which firm has the contract to service the bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Did you answer that question? Or would that just be asking for trouble? :)

Haha...I think I just looked at him with a startled bunny expression.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I saw they put out a tender a while back for a whole load of new bikes and had just figured at the time that they were upgrading their fleet.

I haven't seen any of them with shaved legs.
    stuf wrote: »
    Maybe they'll get a pursuit division on high-spec racers for chasing down wayward red light jumpers and bike thieves

Yeah, those things they ride are tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

niceonetom wrote: »

In Ireland, having 'Garda' across our backs might well make us a target!

niceonetom wrote: »

Hmm...I never thought of that! Although it is an offence to walk around in a garda uniform you'd probably get away with wearing a cycling jersey with "Garda Cycling Team" on the back, and "Fan Club" written in a tiny point size just below it.

• Advertisement

I did think that wearing a similar outfit to a garda uniform is an effective way to get space when moving near cars alright.

I've seen several motorbike riders with Garda like outfits.

"But sure this is just a cycling top I picked up in Italy, when I visited Lake Garda...." :)

kenmc wrote: »
    "But sure this is just a cycling top I picked up in Italy, when I visited Lake Garda...." :)

Check out Garda On Bike - wonder if they make jerseys?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

A friend of mine who is joining the gardai said that its the most popular division (is that the term?) to get into, they do a really cool course as well where they have to master a lot of difficult techniques.

Still think I could take one on a flat tho :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭bassman22

I've seem them a bunch of times, not so much in the last year though... You're right the gear does look awfully heavy, they'd have a hard time catching up with other bikes.

I can't say I like them, but thats only because there was one guy who always used to hide, properly hide along my route to catch people who break red lights.

(I'm not an advocate for breaking red lights but we all there are some lights thats its not really too dangerous to break...)

Hah yeah, around two years ago I was working in Clonskeagh and cycled into work. Just outside the UCD Clonskeagh entrance there is a red light that cyclists barrel though.

This one particular bicycle Garda seemed to camp out there that summer and pull in people that went through. I often cycled past people getting told off, it was highly entertaining.

Hah yeah, around two years ago I was working in Clonskeagh and cycled into work. Just outside the UCD Clonskeagh entrance there is a red light that cyclists barrel though.

This one particular bicycle Garda seemed to camp out there that summer and pull in people that went through. I often cycled past people getting told off, it was highly entertaining.

That is the exact one I am talking about, except he had a couple of other spots around the area too, and he terrorised us for a year at least!

I always wondered why he suddenly disappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

All hail Cyclogarda! I distinctly remember him grabbing people off bikes because they had earphones in and all sorts of minor infractions like that!

He never managed to stop me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

neilled wrote: »
    All hail Cyclogarda! I distinctly remember him grabbing people off bikes because they had earphones in and all sorts of minor infractions like that!
    That's not illegal though.

• Advertisement

not specifically illegal, but he said that under the road traffic act you could be prosecuted for cycling in an unsafe manner... or something like that.
    (he cycled up beside me, got my attention and said, in that classic garda way: do you consider that to be a safe way to be cycling)

I would imagine it would be difficult in court though... (for the gardaí)

Advertisement