Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reserve tanks:

• 01-07-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a varadero 125, 2005 model. Last night I had my first and last I hope running out of fuel incident. Not fun I tell ya :D

Anyway, I am a complete gob****e when it comes to this stuff, the manual suggests that the reserve tank has markings on it, but it does'nt. It has a dial, but for the life of me I cant make head nor tail of it.

It is also now not idling on its own, which made for fun at the lights with other bikes, they thought I was being a right clown I reckon, revving away at the lights

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

gabgab wrote: »

It is also now not idling on its own, which made for fun at the lights with other bikes, they thought I was being a right clown I reckon, revving away at the lights

Try bringing the idle speed up a little bit that might sort you if it keeps dieing at the lights, the tap on the fuel line should have three setting, on/off/reserve. If you switch it to on that shuts off the reserve tank so if you do run out of fuel just switch it to reserve and you should have enough for 40km or so

hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I had the exact same problem with my Varadero 125 when I first got it. I ran out petrol on the quays (they obviously keep the minimum petrol necessary in it in the shop), couldn't find the reserve switch for the life of me and had to walk it to that statoil and fill it up.

Turns out when I looked into it that the switch is buried deep behind the fairings, but there's a long plastic handle attached to it that lets you change it. On mine, the plastic handle was missing, go figure.

Working from memory here, standing on the left-hand side of the bike, as it's facing forward, if you look at the edge of the fairing, where it meets the side/bottom of the tank, you should see a tiny part of the fairing cut away, with a little sticker beside it. The sticker has an arrow pointing up, with "Full" or "Main" written beside it, an arrow pointing down with "Reserve" or something written below it, and between the two arrows, it'll say, "Off".

Now, there should be a plastic handle beside that, which you can turn like a key. The "key" is pointing towards the front of teh bike (i.e. not towards the engine). If there's no key, it's missing :). Turn the key fully clockwise (it'll "click" for each setting) for the main tank, fully counterclockwise for the reserve and half-way to switch off the tap.

If you're missing the plastic handle, you can do what I did and fashion one of a socket set. A socket set should come with 2 "extenders" for getting the socket into deep holes. Put both of these together, and an 8mm socket on the top. This should give you a 6-8 inch bar with an 8mm socket on the top. With a bit of practice, you can get this onto the switch and turn it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Thanks a million lads, really appreciate the replies. I wont be runnig out again anytime soon. I got home alright last night but keeping the throttle open, and braking, in rush hour in town was an experience to say the least.........:D:P

I had a good look at it last night, and chenged the idle and it runs fine now, delighted,

Thanks again for all the replies,

Advertisement