Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fresh install of XP incredibly sluggish

• 01-07-2008 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I decided to reformat my PC and put XP on instead of Vista Ultimate....expecting mega performance increases. I'm running an Intel E6600 with 4gb of RAM (even tho 3 is only recignised for obvious reasons)

But I was rather disappointed. I am unable to open ANYTHING on the pc. It hangs and gets incredibly sluggish- The start menu takes around 5 minutes to open, I cannot open Firefox, and IE5 took around 15 minutes to load! I managed to get into system properties and increased the page file, which worked, but only lasted for last night.

Right now I'm on the verge of chucking the thing out the window in frustration. Is there anything I can try before I reformat again and put Vista back on it.

:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Anything to do with Sata/some other related harddisk driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

sounds like driver issues. not all drivers out there are going to work for both Vista and XP. While your computer might report the device is functioning properly it might not know any better. Go back and check with wherever you got the driver that it is XP compatible. Likely culprit is the BIOS driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Ya I be on board with that, you might need to update your chipset and gfx card drivers to see a performance increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Yesterday I decided to reformat my PC and put XP on instead of Vista Ultimate....expecting mega performance increases. I'm running an Intel E6600 with 4gb of RAM (even tho 3 is only recignised for obvious reasons)

But I was rather disappointed. I am unable to open ANYTHING on the pc. It hangs and gets incredibly sluggish- The start menu takes around 5 minutes to open, I cannot open Firefox, and IE5 took around 15 minutes to load! I managed to get into system properties and increased the page file, which worked, but only lasted for last night.

Right now I'm on the verge of chucking the thing out the window in frustration. Is there anything I can try before I reformat again and put Vista back on it.

:confused::confused:

cant see why you did that

just turn off UAC on vista and make sure it has SP1 vista installedl
    it will be the same speed as xp which I found

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭DenMan

Definitely sounds like a driver issue. Have you been playing any mp3's recently ripped using a vista encoding software?, could be causing compatibility issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Did You install the chipset driver? its the first thing i'd suspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Your hard drive's controller is hardly running in PIO mode instead of DMA? I saw this on a machine recently. Tried coaxing it to use DMA but it kept reverting to PIO. A BIOS upgrade did the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Yesterday I decided to reformat my PC and put XP on instead of Vista Ultimate....expecting mega performance increases.

maybe xp is faster then vista, but.....

wait till you try windows 3.1

What chipset or motherboard do you have? I'd go with the PIO mode suspicion.

Advertisement