Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OMSP now going up!!!

Options
  • 01-07-2008 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭

Just checked the vrt on my 02 m3, i registered it in march at a cost of 9k (30% on 30k i think), now its 36% of 31,862 meaning VRT is 11,470!

The 6% hike in VRT is bad, but amdending the OMSP is a disgrace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What would an accurate OMSP be for that car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    MAKE: BMW
    MODEL: 320 E90
    VERSION: D SE 04DR / SALOON / MANUAL / DIESEL /
    MILEAGE: 50000 MILES
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: JULY 2006
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €35743
    RATE OF TAX: 30.0%
    Taken from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56339547#post56339547

MAKE: BMW
    MODEL: 320 E90
    VERSION: D SE 04DR / SALOON / MANUAL / DIESEL /
    CO2 EMISSIONS: 153
    MILEAGE: 50000 MILES
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: JULY 2006
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €31117
    RATE OF TAX: 20%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX: €6223

Looks like its gone down for this beemer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Of course the OMSP is going to go up the VRT has gone up on the car.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

The VRT I paid on my Alfa Romeo last week was on an OMSP of €16277 (25%)

Now it has gone up to over €19000, along with a rise in the rate(32% but it says 36% on the site!)

Crazy

Of course the OMSP is going to go up the VRT has gone up on the car.

The VRT is a rate of tax imposed on the OMSP. A change in the rate should not effect the OMSP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Cionád wrote: »
    The VRT is a rate of tax imposed on the OMSP. A change in the rate should not effect the OMSP.

Eh yes it should. The VRT is a % of the selling price, if VRT% it increased the price also increases. if the VRT% is decreased the selling price comes down.

With the rising and fallin of the selling price the OMSP will also go up and down.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The OMSP is the price including the VRT duty, so what they have probably done is added the new VRT rate instead of using the old one on the OMSP. Thus increaing the OMSP, Robbing B**t***s! and ontop of the newly increased OMSP they then re-add ur new higher VRT :eek:

listermint wrote: »
    The OMSP is the price including the VRT duty,

Ah, ok, I thought that was a pre-VRT price.

Eh yes it should. The VRT is a % of the selling price, if VRT% it increased the price also increases. if the VRT% is decreased the selling price comes down.

With the rising and fallin of the selling price the OMSP will also go up and
    down.
    Problem is with the OMSP on a used vehicle the VRT has been paid already so the changes in a new VRT system should not effect the OMSP of used vehicles. FACT. But then again they would not be able to remain "revenue neutral" without ripping people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Problem is with the OMSP on a used vehicle the VRT has been paid already so it changes in a new VRT system should not effect the OMSP of used vehicles. FACT.
    Actually, listermint, that's not FACT. If you think about it, you'll realize that changes to the prices of new cars affect the values of older ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

OMSP on my car has come down by 1500. VRT is down from 1725 to 435 :)

Ah its all relative i suppose. market changes dictate what your paying. More people buying used, higher the price. I suppose your right. Doesnt make it right though paying more for a car that should be depreciating. But thats just how it rolls. FACT:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

This would be explained by the figures below. I got these off the vrt calculator when I queried the VRT applicable on a golf GTI. note the different OMSP's:

CO2 EMISSIONS: 192
    MILEAGE: 12000 MILES
    CUSTOMER CO2 EMISSIONS: 189
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: SEPTEMBER 2006

Revenue Information

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €28948
    RATE OF TAX: 32%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX: (payable on enquiry date) €9263

Customer Information

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €27340
    RATE OF TAX: 28%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX: (payable on enquiry date) €7655

Hmmm, I've entered the details of my car which is a diesel Almera, it says the Co2 emissions are 211g/km, and so VRT is charged at 32%

However, according to parkers.co.uk (and the uk road tax website) says my car is 165g/km, and the 211g/km model is for the GTI.

NISSAN
    MODEL: ALMERA 2.0
    VERSION: GX 04DR / SALOON / MANUAL / DIESEL /
    CO2 EMISSIONS: 211

Cionád wrote: »
    Hmmm, I've entered the details of my car which is a diesel Almera, it says the Co2 emissions are 211g/km, and so VRT is charged at 32%

However, according to parkers.co.uk (and the uk road tax website) says my car is 165g/km, and the 211g/km model is for the GTI.

NISSAN
    MODEL: ALMERA 2.0
    VERSION: GX 04DR / SALOON / MANUAL / DIESEL /
    CO2 EMISSIONS: 211

The system is not fully up and and running obviously. They havent worked on the stats system clearly. They may even be only going on vehicles registered today. Best bet is to show your own CO2 emissions V5 or what not.

The system is not fully up and and running obviously. They havent worked on the stats system clearly. They may even be only going on vehicles registered today. Best bet is to show your own CO2 emissions V5 or what not.

Yea, was just checking for curiosity's sake.

Bizarrely the GTI without the bodykit has even lower CO2 emissions than the diesel. - 160g/km!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Anan1 wrote: »
    What would an accurate OMSP be for that car?

who knows anymore :p i would have said 33-35k, but i dont know if they are making that now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭thebookofbob

I was quoted OMSP for a 1997 Pug 406 1.9D estate for €1200 a month ago I was getting from Wales.. I re-checked it today & it's gone up to €2000.. which is a f**** joke..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Cyrus, the OMSP for your car has actually gone down ;)

Here's the calculation:

Pre July OMSP €30k, VRT 30% of €30k, so €9k (OMSP nett of VRT of €21k)

The expected OMSP after July, €21k/(1-0.36) = €32.8k, VRT 36% of €32.8k, so €11.8k (OMSP nett of VRT of €21k)

Actual OMSP is lower than the expected one!

Anyone please feel free to read the first page (and / or the rest) of the new sticky to understand the way it works

consider me corrected

doesnt feel like that tho :o

thank god i bought it when i did

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 peelaaa

Its quite hilarious that the vrt site is so incorrect on many cars, especially the alfa 147. the 3.2 v6 gta has a c02 of 160 while the 2.0 twin spark has a c02 of 999!! Absolutely ridiculous. The c02 can be calculated using mpg figures so how can they get it wrong. On the revenue.ie site it tells you how to calculate the c02 for christs sake.

If the foreign press get hold of this info, it will make a laughing stock of the state and surely will please our eu comrades!!!

But seriously, when visiting the vrt centre you need proof of c02 anyway so the above cars will be corrected with your official paperwork, obviously the vrt site has had a lot of info input incorrectly. It is still a joke though considering some idiot in a 'job for life' is attending to this site and nothing is being done about it.
    MUPPETS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Holy mother of god, I didn't realise just how ridiculously expensive my VRT would have been if I'd missed out on VRTing it on Monday.
    MAKE:  	 NISSAN
      	MODEL: 	FAIRLADY Z - STANDARD
      	VERSION: 	Z33 02DR / SPORTS COUPE (NON-CONVERTIBLE) / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
      	CO2 EMISSIONS: 	239
      	MILEAGE: 	61000 MILES
      	DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: 	NOVEMBER 2002

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: 	€25490
      	RATE OF TAX: 	36%
      	VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) 	€9176

On Monday, the OMSP was approx 18600 and I paid 5400 VRT. Nearly doubled the VRT in the over 24 hours, that's ridiculous. How the HELL could they up the OMSP by 7k on a 6 yr old car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Looks like all the fun of owning a fun car is going to be a thing of the past, we'll all end up with either a yoke of an electric contraption or some bland boring thing that won't get out of it's own way. I can't believe how people are so willing to accept this crap tbh. All this global warming crap is sure to be the biggest con job of the century, sure the planets warming up but has been for millions of years and now we have to pay the price in taxes.:rolleyes: Bigger suckers us to believe politicans!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I was quoted OMSP for a 1997 Pug 406 1.9D estate for €1200 a month ago I was getting from Wales.. I re-checked it today & it's gone up to €2000.. which is a f**** joke..

Typed my car details into the system a few times and got a OMSP figure of €800 odd euro, which i'll admit is a bit low.
    But now its up to €2000 :eek:

I'd take the arm of the man offering me €2000 for a 3 dr car with 162k miles on the clock thats €158 a quarter to tax LOL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BMW318iSEAuto

Surely the new system is flawed. Shouldn't the OMSP reflect the value that you could expect to buy/sell the particular car for? OMSPs, under the new system, should be adjusted according to the corresponding RRP of new vehicles post July 1st. For example, a 2007 BMW 318iSE Auto has seen the RRP fall by over €5000 since July 1st. Second hand models should therefore also see their OMSP fall accordingly. Conversely, gas guzzlers & the like, with a high CO2 rating, will have seen their RRP increase and hence second hand values will, I presume, also increase.

This has not happened, at least in the case of the 2007 BMW 318iSE Auto. It had an OMSP of €37,116 on June 30th. Today it is shown as €36,079, a drop of only €1037. This is because the revenue have now calculated the OMSP for this model based on a VRT rate of 28% (as the car has a 190 CO2 value) and not 20% (which the new car has).

In essence, by doing this, the revenue are trying to say that even though the RRP has been reduced by over €5000, second hand values will only fall by about €1000. This is clearly wrong and, I believe, highlights that the OMSP should actually be a constant figure (adjusted for mileage and age) based on the new RRPs (as this directly affects the second hand values). It should not be based on the differing emission levels of previous versions. If anything, older cars, with higher CO2 values than their new counterparts, could diminish in value even more.

I have no problem paying the 28% VRT on a realistic OMSP. What I do object to is the revenue artificially adjusting the OMSP so that it has no relevance to realistic second hand values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

yes
    they screw you at the vrt shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

You would have to question the obsession of buying cars from the UK.

I wouldn't mind if people were bringing in something exotic or hard to find here, like say a 2.0 Focus or a D-4D 180 bhp Avensis or say a 3.2 FSI A6 or a 335d because they are as rare as hen's teeth here(the first 2 cars aren't even sold here) but the truth is that second hand values have fallen by so much here it now no longer makes sense to buy used from over there.

I've heard people winging about a BMW 318i and an A6 2.0 TDI 140 recently. Both of these cars are readily available here used, as they are the bottom of the range models(now that BMW finally killed the 316i for us) which Irish people are fuppin obsessed with and think are the bee's knees. Why buy from the UK when there is such good value now to be found over here and these cars are not exactly difficult to find?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I checked my car – how is this possible;
    The OMSP price chages by €3K when I imput the correct Co2 value? Surely the OMSP is the OMSP and it can’t just change like that??

31069441kt8.png

as pointed out by a few others the OMSP is the VRT inclusive OMSP, so if the VRT rate changes it goes up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Cyrus wrote: »
    as pointed out by a few others the OMSP is the VRT inclusive OMSP, so if the VRT rate changes it goes up

I see!

Advertisement