Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games made you....

Options
  • 01-07-2008 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Storm back into the shop after you bought it, throw it in the cashiers face, and demand a refund, else you'll slaughter they're entire family. ahem!

once in a while, a game has so much hype around it or - its just so ludicrusly self serving as to actually be INSULTING as to be someone to have paid for it. we've all had this experience...at least once.

Mine was Total Anhilations Kingdoms. The original TOTLA was superb, a great grandaddy of strategy games - it was fantastic for its time, and one of the first games i ever played addictively. TOTALA:Kingdoms on the other hand, made for a disapointing christmas.

The game was poorly thought out, everytime you clicked you got the most annoying 'bonk' sound ever invented. The game itself was just crap. just... crap. theres no other way to explain it. I played it 3 times, thats about all it survived.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ophen scion of scorcery on the ps2,what a load garbarge.

all the james bonds games that came out on the ps2,there only one good james bond game and thats goldeneye.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Darkness. Can't understand how people could like it. It was the first game I've ever traded in, with Kane and Lynch being the only other dishonourable member of that club.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

daikatana - absolute horse crap, i bought into the hype.

halo 2 - as above, only this time i actually bought the console as well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

MS Flight Sim 2004... not nearly as exciting or pretty as it was made out to be, and I really wasn't enough of an aviation nerd to enjoy its structureless make-your-own-fun gameplay... especially not for that price.

Quake 4 ... bored the absolute tits off me... more of the same old shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Bulletwitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Fight Club (the thoughts of that game still send shivers down my spine, gaming at its absolute worst)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Clayfighter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Call of Duty 4

Its like 3 hours long, completed it in one sitting in one afternoon ... fun while it lasted, but a total waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Thankfully I don't buy games without being well informed but occasionally I will make mistakes. I absolutely loved Divine Divinity so when the sequel Beyond Divinity came out I bought it without hesitation. I had played a demo and thought it was fine. It unfortunately turned out that the game was more or less unplayable. One quest dungeon was completely empty I remember which meant that you couldn't get whatever quest item was required and so the game was fucked.

To add insult to injury, a subsequent patch fixed the dungeon issue but rendered my savegame incompatible so I had to start again. Needless to say I never did.

I occasionally come across that game in a box of games and I curse myself for being so hasty!

Rise of the robots. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

The Path of Neo, Crysis (It was a shinier FarCry)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Myst, back in the days when GAME had a no quibble returns policy, even for PC games.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

juiced. not sure why i even got it in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

'Why save the world when you can rule it? Going where no previous James Bond game has dared to tread, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent breaks all the rules by transporting players to the dark side of the Bond universe to experience life as a high-rolling, cold-hearted villain. As an aspiring 00 agent dismissed from MI6 for reckless brutality, you hired as an enforcer by Auric Goldfinger, the wealthy super-villain with a lust for all things gold. Cross paths with such legendary allies and enemies as Oddjob, Scaramanga, Xenia Onatopp, and, of course, Pussy Galore on globe-spanning missions of vengeance and demolition as you make your unrelenting rise through the ranks to the top of the villain world. Featured modes include story-driven campaign missions, deathmatch style simulator trials, and objective-based war games for single and multi-player play.'

GoldenEye: Rogue Agent was thrown into Mount Doom in Mordor! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

True Crime steets of LA, how boring could you get.

I was fairly dissapointed by Red Faction 2 after loving the 1st one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Wicknight wrote: »
    Call of Duty 4

Its like 3 hours long, completed it in one sitting in one afternoon ... fun while it lasted, but a total waste of money

never play casual games on medium, straight up to Veteran. Guarantee you it will take more than 3 hours. Call of duty 4 if you started the game straight at veteran was fantastic game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Forsaken on N64, just hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

smackdown vs raw 2008, awful, it was out of the wrapper for a grand total for 1hr and 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

never play casual games on medium, straight up to Veteran. Guarantee you it will take more than 3 hours. Call of duty 4 if you started the game straight at veteran was fantastic game.

COMPLETELY agree. CoD4 had that excellent training level which worked out your skill level. I was recommended to start as a veteran and even though the game was insane at times (damn you Ferris Wheel *shakes fist*) it was a lot more satisfying to complete it. Plus CoD4 is first a multiplayer game with a secondary warm up single player campaign.

The only game I was truly disappointed with was Doom3. Switching between my gun to my torch then having to shoot blindly into the dark and also having to read through peoples random emails on their PDAs just to get the code to their locker completely ruined the pace for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

1huge1 wrote: »
    True Crime steets of LA, how boring could you get.

I was fairly dissapointed by Red Faction 2 after loving the 1st one.

I was a huge fan of the first Red Faction, the first 20 mins of Red Faction 2 are good, because its all happy squad time and dual weapons, oh and running around in a mech.

Then it just gets crap when your squad turns against you, the game goes downhill from there! Zombies+ grave yard? A dike that turns against you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

L31mr0d wrote: »
    The only game I was truly disappointed with was Doom3. Switching between my gun to my torch then having to shoot blindly into the dark and also having to read through peoples random emails on their PDAs just to get the code to their locker completely ruined the pace for me.
    I know Doom 3 had problems (especially those you mentioned), but I still loved it.
    I was a huge fan of the first Red Faction, the first 20 mins of Red Faction 2 are good, because its all happy squad time and dual weapons, oh and running around in a mech.

Then it just gets crap when your squad turns against you, the game goes downhill from there! Zombies+ grave yard? A dike that turns against you?

Ya I know, I was addicted to the 1st one as well, there bringing out a 3rd one which will be on Mars again, High hopes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wicknight wrote: »
    Call of Duty 4

Play on veteran, play multiplayer. Well, if tyou still could. :pac:

None really, I check games out a lot before buying.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Obi Wan on Xbox- the worst thing was, there was no hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

assassins creed. I absolutely hated that piece of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hmm...where do I begin:

MOO3-Years of hype and expectation about their bullplop "4X" game when they couldnt even get the regular 3 formula right. An absolute mess of a game that had the rotten stench of a project gone bad and then rushed into production. If this had been toyota releasing a new car, it would have been made of tinfoil and had wheels carved out of cheese!

Star Trek: Dominion Wars - During my time as a star trek fan, I looked for a game that would really bring the universe to life. None to date have done that. The only stand-out ones fall into the category of "absolute garbage" and I would have to put dominion wars top of that list. The game barely worked, missions were depressing and bug ridden and the graphics were shockingly poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Metal Gear Solid 4 still makes me angry, just from typing it. Kane & Lynch was another game where I just couldn't believe how bad it was.

humanji wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid 4 still makes me angry, just from typing it. Kane & Lynch was another game where I just couldn't believe how bad it was.
    really? Is MGS4 not decent no? Never played any of them but thought this one was supposed to be the be all and end all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

really? Is MGS4 not decent no? Never played any of them but thought this one was supposed to be the be all and end all?

If you're a fan its amazing but I am not saying you wouldn't enjoy it if you weren't. Its just the story/cut-scenes may be a bit of a shock to someone not familiar with the previous installments.

Back on topic, Army of Two is complete garbage imo. Pure muck. Co-op is its only redeeming feature (slightly) and what do they do? Lock online play to specific regions! Only game I have ever given back. I'm usually a game collecting whore!

They lock online play to specific regions on games that suffer most if there is lag (FPS, Racing Sims). If you play a bunch of people who all live in New York for example, your latency will drag theirs down. So they limit your opponents to your own region to keep the multiplayer as smooth as possible...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

humanji wrote: »
    Kane & Lynch was another game where I just couldn't believe how bad it was.
    Did you actually buy it even after all the controversy online over it's reviews?

Advertisement