Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about full license

Options
  • 01-07-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but here i go.

I got my full license there last march. I have a mate who is on a provisional and he needs someone to accompany him. Does the 2 years driving experience rule apply to me since i have the license under the old system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Yes, it still applies. You would also have to be insured on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

hmm really? They could really have phased that in a but better too. I won't start complaining as it won't have any real impact on me but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Shazbot wrote: »
    Yes, it still applies. You would also have to be insured on the car.

Insured on the car? Is this a new thing? never heard that before.

listermint wrote: »
    Insured on the car? Is this a new thing? never heard that before.

Not sure if it's new but it's the law now. I'd say it's to take over from the learner if they don't feel safe driving the car or are doing something dangerous. The full licensed driver would then have to drive the car home. Obviously, can't drive without insurance on the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Not sure if it's new but it's the law now. I'd say it's to take over from the learner if they don't feel safe driving the car or are doing something dangerous. The full licensed driver would then have to drive the car home. Obviously, can't drive without insurance on the car.

Nope, its just a case of the accompanying driver having the car owners (learners) permission to drive it. Obviously they have to be in a fit state to do so, but no special insurance is required.

• Advertisement

DarkJager wrote: »
    Nope, its just a case of the accompanying driver having the car owners (learners) permission to drive it. Obviously they have to be in a fit state to do so, but no special insurance is required.

Just had a quick browse through the sticky, can't find anything about insurance. I must be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dapos wrote: »
    Does the 2 years driving experience rule apply to me since i have the license under the old system.
    The rule doesn't apply to you - it applies to him. He must ensure that his accompanied driver has held a Full Licence in the appropriate category for at least 2 years.

That information is in the sticky. Please read before begining a new thread.
    You would also have to be insured on the car.
    There is no requirement that the accompanied driver must be insured to drive the vehicle in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thought that, it looked a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

. You would also have to be insured on the car.
    I wish people wouldnt simply make stuff up.

If it came to it, most people with insurance on their own car are insured third party to drive another car they dont own. (Check with your insurance to confirm beforehand though)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

wil wrote: »
    If it came to it, most people with insurance on their own car are insured third party to drive another car they dont own. (Check with your insurance to confirm beforehand though)

:confused:
    I don't know where you're getting this "most people" lark from, it's just not true, especially for younger drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Many drivers, over 25, with a Full licence, and with their own policy, are insured to drive other similar vehicles with the owner's consent, on a 3rd party basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

Many drivers, over 25, with a Full licence, and with their own policy, are insured to drive other similar vehicles with the owner's consent, on a 3rd party basis.

You dont have to be over 25, but you do need your own policy and a full licence. I have been insured with Quinn since I was 18 and I was allowed to driver other peoples cars "On a third party insurance" basis.

There is no rule that says the person that is mentoring the person with the learners permit must be insured on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There is no rule that says the person that is mentoring the person with the learners permit must be insured on the car.

As noted above;)

That's quite interesting about the insurance, it was something that i had always just assumed was reserved to experienced/older drivers. Thanks, must look into it.

Advertisement