Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Finglas East like to live in?

Options
  • 01-07-2008 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I am looking at a possible move to Glasaree road in Finglas East, which is just off Ballygall road/Collins Avenue. It's a minute or 2 from Ferndale and Beneavin on 1 side, the village on the other side via Ballygall road, Glasanaon road and Ballgall, and finally Finglas Park and Clune road. These are all the areas surrounding it.

There are some council maisonettes which to be honest are a bit of an eyesore, but I have heard that they are due for refurbishment and some of them are empty and boarded up, I guess, with the refurbishment in mind.

Basically, if the area is quiet, and free from any anti social begaviour then I am in a strong position to move there. I used to live in Finglas as a kid, in the south, and it wasn't great for us. We made some great friends there, with great people but there were too many dodgy characters and it was a bad area in conclusion, for us. So I'm always cautious about Finglas ever since, but I have heard good things about the East?

Any opinions/knowledge would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

Obviously like all areas it is not perfect, however it would be the quieter area of greater finglas..

Just depends on where about your actually situated like most places, cornor houses, shops and small greens will attract alot of teenagers as a meeting spot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 timbook

There are parks etc at the other end of Glasaree road, but I'd be closer to the school, Is it ST. Canice's, I think? Beside Collins ROW(the maisonettes, I think?) And collins avenue/Ballygall road west?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

That area in my experience is quiet but there's a certain area about half a kilometre away that can be a bit rowdy.

A certain area? Can you say which area you mean? I know it's tough trying to not offend anyone. PM if you prefer?

I'm basically trying to look at all the options, and to be sure before I go ahead. Thanks for the help so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

In a sense timbook you would be in the rougher side of the east.. if you where on the opposite side of the Ballygal Road ie. The Willows it would be all rosey.. that's a very quiet area in my opinion...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

thing about finglas is you have scumbag yoots from the really bad areas patroling the whole suburb really, they're just not as common in the nicer parts like where my granny lives. That didn't stop her son being killed over a cigarette 10 years ago by marauding teenagers though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    thing about finglas is you have scumbag yoots from the really bad areas patroling the whole suburb really, they're just not as common in the nicer parts like where my granny lives. That didn't stop her son being killed over a cigarette 10 years ago by marauding teenagers though...

Opposite Beneavin college?

Small world :)

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Was it opposite Beneavin College? As that is quite close the where I'm looking at. Although, I suppose that type of thing, as you say, could happen enywhere?

Yes it could. There was another fatal attack outside the Classic snooker hall as well a few years ago.
    That said, the assailants are behind bars. It is a much better area than other parts of Finglas, i would live in it myself if the choice came up someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭graham13

I live on Beneavin Road myself and all in all the whole area is a nice place to live.Most of the area is old and settled but i'd be weary of Collins tbh.Alot of youngsters hang around the masionettes(collins place)and only last week a take away delivery driver was beaten and had his car stolen by 6 of these scumbags.Collins imo is also filthy,alot of litter and glass strewn across the place.

As you said youself this type of behaviour could happen anywhere.Just take a drive up a couple of times this week and look for yourself at who and what are hanging around.

As for amenties there are alot on your doorsteep.Shops just two mins walk away and two pubs but i'd go further up the road for a quieter drink(the willows)or the autobahn just down Glasnevin Ave.Alot of schools also there and Johnstown park less then five mins walk form there.

If you used to live in the South it will be paradise in comparison.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else feel free to keep replying or if someone has more to add, please feel free. I do intend driving around the area a few times, especially at night.

Glasnevin Avenue in the tabloid news for the wrong reasons. Horrific assault. :eek:

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/out-of-control-1442850.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

gurramok wrote: »
    Glasnevin Avenue in the tabloid news for the wrong reasons. Horrific assault. :eek:

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/out-of-control-1442850.html

Sweet Jesus, that story is horrific. However I wouldn't have thought its typical of this particular part of Finglas.

Indeed if I was moving to Finglas I'd be happy enough to choose this neighbourhood over the rest.

Its bad news so its in Glasnevin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Glasnevin Avenue (used to be called Ballymun Avenue) is not in Finglas. Was Ballymun, now Glasnevin North. I always thoughts the Ballymun flats should be renamed Glasnevin Heights.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

esel wrote: »
    Glasnevin Avenue (used to be called Ballymun Avenue) is not in Finglas. Was Ballymun, now Glasnevin North. I always thoughts the Ballymun flats should be renamed Glasnevin Heights.

haha and I think whoever was responsible for listing that hotel in Finglas South as Glasnevin should be shot dead :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I l ive in finglas west,it will no doubt be named Ashtown North soon..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

apparently i am living in castleknock, finglas is slowly disappearing

Advertisement