Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Film(s) and why

Options
2»

Comments

The Darjeeling Limited: Just after watching this twice in a row. Put simply it's a delightful little film which you can't help but love. Watching the opening scene I knew that I was going to love the film the minute the Kinks kicked in. Just skip to 1:34 on the video below and try not to smile, though I highly recommend watching it all.

One of my favourite montage scenes of all time. I must have watched it a dozen times the first time I watched the film earlier tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

heres my top 10 in no particular order

the lord of the rings
    groundhog day
    die hard
    pulp fiction
    godfather 2
    the remains of the day
    back to the future
    gladiator
    once upon a time in america
    the big lebowski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mbv

Wild at heart my fave Lynch film, has everything really
    The thing Probably the best horror ever made
    This is Spinal Tap Hilarious stuff from start to finish
    Young Frankenstein Mel Brooks best by a mile
    Cannibal Holocaust One of the most disturbing films ever
    Taxi Driver De Niro at his best
    Clerks Great film with no bollox about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

The Darjeeling Limted seems to be getting a lot of mentions here, i have to say that it didnt work for me at all.

I love Wes Anderson, and would count The Life Aquatic up there with some of my favourite films ever but TDL i felt never had the heart and compassion that Life aquatic or The Royal Tenenbaums etc had.

Dont get me wrong, it LOOKS fantastic, but it almost felt to me like Wes Anderson was trying very hard to make a Wes Anderson film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Shawshank (I know I know....)
    Donnie Darko - if only for the arguements that ensue afterwards :)
    Terminator
    LOTR
    A few good men
    Blazing Saddles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

mbv wrote: »
    Cannibal Holocaust One of the most disturbing films ever

Couldn't justify this because of the actual animal cruelty that took place filming. Disgusting. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Darjeeling Limited: Just after watching this twice in a row. Put simply it's a delightful little film which you can't help but love. Watching the opening scene I knew that I was going to love the film the minute the Kinks kicked in. Just skip to 1:34 on the video below and try not to smile, though I highly recommend watching it all.

Cheers for that Darko. I'm a massive Wes Anderson fan but really disliked 'The Life Aquatic' (except for a couple of scenes and soundtrack).

And I never bothered with 'The Darjeeling Limited' but after seeing the scene above, I'm gonna really have to watch it this evening.

Wes Anderson is an absolute fantastic director and his use of music in films is un-matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

My tuppence worth...

Bad Boy Bubby - dark, strange and very funny Australian film. My favourite film ever.

Visitor Q - hugely entertaining Takashi Miike film. Also see Audition and Ichi the Killer.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - classic gem.

The Man Who Wasn't There - very underrated Coen Bros output. Watch it again.

Naked - Mike Leigh at his best. Same goes for David Thewlis. Someone mentioned it earlier.

Requiem for a Dream / Pi / The Fountain - Darren Aronofsky kills me, he's that good.

3 Iron - very watchable introduction to Kim Ki-duk's films. They're all good, though.

Eraserhead - David Lynch goes all the way down into the subconscious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

[QUOTE=SuperGrover;56446281

Naked - Mike Leigh at his best. Same goes for David Thewlis. Someone mentioned it earlier.

QUOTE]

Yup that was me.

Can't believe I never really see it mentioned on here considering how many film enthusiasts there are on boards.

Amazing script, and amazing performance from Thewliss. My favourite film of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Kraggy, you are right, it truly is excellent.

Watched it again lately (Film 4?) and it blew me away all over again.

I see it as a series of scenes / set pieces in my head. The scene with the night shift security guy was great.

Also, the cameo with a young Ewen Bremner (Hey, Maggie!!) was superb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Eirebear wrote: »
    The Darjeeling Limted seems to be getting a lot of mentions here, i have to say that it didnt work for me at all.

I love Wes Anderson, and would count The Life Aquatic up there with some of my favourite films ever but TDL i felt never had the heart and compassion that Life aquatic or The Royal Tenenbaums etc had.

Dont get me wrong, it LOOKS fantastic, but it almost felt to me like Wes Anderson was trying very hard to make a Wes Anderson film.

I loved it, but wouldn't be in favourites of all time. I think its a better film than the Life Aquatic (which is still great, but very uneven) but doesn't quite reach the heights of Rushmore. Its a very funny film, sometimes quite emotional (even the tonally odd river rescue) and with a fantastic soundtrack. It also has the best opening in years, as linked by Darko above. It isn't quite as mindblowing as first viewings of Rushmore or The Royal Tenebaums were though, but thats only going on Anderson's already ridiculously high standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I loved it, but wouldn't be in favourites of all time. I think its a better film than the Life Aquatic (which is still great, but very uneven) but doesn't quite reach the heights of Rushmore. Its a very funny film, sometimes quite emotional (even the tonally odd river rescue) and with a fantastic soundtrack. It also has the best opening in years, as linked by Darko above. It isn't quite as mindblowing as first viewings of Rushmore or The Royal Tenebaums were though, but thats only going on Anderson's already ridiculously high standards.

I never managed to see it in the cinema, and actually only got around to watching it last week.

It does look absolutely brilliant, i cant take away for that...and yes i agree with the soundtrack as well. But i just couldnt care for the characters the way i do about them in Andersons other films.

Maybe it was because i was dying with the flu when i put it on, ill give it another try maybe next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

All the President's Men
    Annie Hall
    The Apartment
    Back to the Future
    Le Bossu
    North By Northwest
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    The Shining
    Taxi Driver
    What's Up, Doc?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Advertisement