Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mid-week break: Dingle or Killarney??

Options
  • 01-07-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Thinking of taking a mid-week break with the missus and lil one, we are trying to pick between either Dingle (Skellig) or Killarney (Castlerosse).

I'm posting this in the parenting section because we are hoping to get the best out of this break with the little one in mind!

We know both areas pretty well but not sure which would be more enjoyable with the little one, what happens if the weather is poor? Is there really much to do in Dingle (OK, the Aquarium is a visit) but what else?

Also, if the weather is nice in Killarney we have the lakes, Muckross House etc but what's the nearest beach?

Both hotels mentioned have a pool of some sort in case of rainy days I guess.

Some advice/suggestions from parents would be great!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I stayed in the Dingle skellig with my son and husband. The pool was great, and the aquarium was fun too. But other than that it was a disaster. He was two and a half and bored out of his skull most of the time which made him a nightmare. The weather was lousy which meant we were indoors or in the car a lot. Maybe it was just us, but we didnt find a heck of a lot to do in the pouring rain.

I also stayed in the Quality Killarney with him, and it was much better, the hotel had a dedicated 'family floor' with a playroom and kitchen for making bottles etc. Muckross was great, he loved the horse & carriage rides and even though it also was terrible weather we just didnt feel so stir crazy, the whole place felt busier and less isolated.

Added to that Dingle was a heck of a lot further for us to drive, and he was car sick the whole way. We swore never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Echo that, Killarney or Tralee with little ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yep, for those reasons mentioned above I think we will pick Killarney, which is handy because it is closer from home also!

thanks folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

I'd recommend the Castlerosse - great hotel, good food and such a view from the dining room. Have a great break!

Sulukie

Advertisement