Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat - stiffer raised suspension?

Options
  • 01-07-2008 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I have a 2004 Passat TDI estate . I tow a boat on trailer from time to time with it and store some stuff in the boot when towing (spare fuel tank, spare engine, etc.).

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could find stiffer suspension or spring sets that would actually RAISE the rear of the car slightly and handle the extra weight?
    I can see places selling the lowered suspension sets for the sportier look/handling, but can't find sets to do the opposite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

lower = stiffer
    higher = er less stiff

think about it, the higher it is the more spring there is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭blackbox

Cyrus wrote: »
    lower = stiffer
    higher = er less stiff

think about it, the higher it is the more spring there is

ehh not necessariliy...

If you use the same length spring that is stiffer, it will not compress as much under the weight and the car will actually ride higher.

Mind you, I have a Passat (saloon), and the suspension is already hard - and that's a comfortline, so I think an estate could turn out to be very uncomfortable when unladen if you give it stiffer springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I have the Highline (UK bought). Happy enough with the suspension as standard when not towing.

The reason I asked the question was that a friend had an Audi 80 TDI estate a few years ago and towed a caravan sometimes with it. He managed to get new 2 rear springs fitted which were stiffer than what he already had and it prevented the rear from dropping when towing. I'm after the same thing but for a much newer car (I think he got them from EuroCarParts in the UK, but couldn't see them on their site).

The stiffer lower springs would affect towing over speed bumps and on slipways (I have considered this for 'looks' in the past, but the 18" RS4 alloys look fine as they are!).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Can't answer your question but are you sure you want to take a comparitively expensive car, jack it up beyond the factory specs and haul a boat around the country after you?? You could buy an Inca and have it as a boat car for the kind of money you will lose due to costs/ additional depreciation/ wear and tear.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I hear what you're saying, but this car I'll hold onto for a few more years and put big mileage on, so future resale value is not a worry.

However, I think the cost of buying, insuring, taxing and running another vehicle specifically to tow the boat a few times a month is going to be a lot more than the few hundred it might cost to buy and fit the stiffer suspension.
    I already run a big second car for herself - but without a towbar (not as suitable as my own for towing anyhow).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

You could look at adding a set of 'Helper Springs'. These are smaller springs which fit inside your current springs and help stiffen things up under load.

Not sure if you can get them for the Passat but I recently put a set into a Fiat and they work very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

cantdecide wrote: »
    Can't answer your question but are you sure you want to take a comparitively expensive car, jack it up beyond the factory specs and haul a boat around the country after you?? You could buy an Inca and have it as a boat car for the kind of money you will lose due to costs/ additional depreciation/ wear and tear.

Just a thought.

I would disagree with you there.
    I know of a few Passat owners (in Donegal) who replace the standard shock absorbers and replace them with KONI shocks.
    This will help with your rear spring/damper situation also. The KONI shocks are fully adjustable and can be pre-set to a stiff setting, hence no more bounce.
    It is quite common with Passats. They are generally a bit bouncy and are not great handlers (compared to a Peugeot 406/407 or Ford Mondeo)
    I am not sure where to get the shocks, maybe online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Advertisement