Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joey Barton gets suspended sentence for attacking his team mate

• 01-07-2008 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/07/01/SOCCER_Barton_Lead.html&TEAMHD=soccer
    Newcastle footballer Joey Barton was spared jail for attacking a team-mate in a training ground row.
    Barton, 25, punched former Manchester City colleague Ousmane Dabo up to five times, leaving him unconscious and covered in blood on the ground.
    The Newcastle midfielder had claimed he acted in self-defence but changed his plea to guilty ahead of a scheduled trial at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court.
    On Tuesday he was given a four month suspended sentence.
    Frenchman Dabo was knocked unconscious in an "explosive combination of football and violence", the court heard.
    The pair clashed after a simmering row during a training session on May 1 last year.
    Dabo, 31, pushed Barton's shoulder and was knocked unconscious. Eyewitnesses recalled Barton getting on top of the player and repeatedly hitting him.
    Dabo was treated in hospital for the effects of head trauma, an inflamed eye and bruised eyelids.
    He also suffered from headaches for three weeks and missed several matches.
    One player, Georgios Samaras, said he had never seen such a violent incident on a football pitch in all his career. Samaras stated he would "never forget it".
    Barton had strenuously denied the assault but changed his plea to guilty after learning he was likely to receive a suspended sentence.
    He was suspended by City and sold to Newcastle for £5.8million last summer.
    Since bursting on to the Premiership scene in April 2003, Barton has been making headlines both on and off the pitch.
    He was jailed for six months on May 20 for assault and affray after a fight at a McDonald's in Liverpool city centre on December 27 last year.
    Again he attacked and punched his victim who was on the ground.
    Ten days later he was back at the city's Magistrates' Court, where he was acquitted of criminal damage to a taxi. His cousin, Joshua Wilson, 19, admitted doing the damage.

Is it just me or did this fella get off very lightly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

f*cking hell. ridiculous. he should have gotten some community service to supplement it at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

What's sickening is, he turns up to court in a prison van currently doin' 6 months for a similiar assault.
    If Keegan keeps him on he needs his head examined.

With his previous convictions indicating a pattern of violence I find that astonishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Newcastle will f*ck him out

I'd love him at Leeds

I'd love him at Leeds

LOL. Along with Smithy & Bowyer :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

This is the type of person that needs locking up or in his case, an extension to his original sentence. I don't know if it makes a difference that he's a footballer but what kind of example does the judge set if this is the kind of sentence being dished out for serious assults?

He already got a jail sentence for the same thing so why does he get a suspended sentence this time round.

I'm fairly confused about how the justice system works.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

With his previous convictions indicating a pattern of violence I find that astonishing.

To be fair to the judge didn't this assault take place before the one he is now imprisoned for? In May last year as opposed to December for the one he was put away for.

If Newcastle keep him on now I would be very disappointed in them. But then some other club will more than likely just snap up this thug anyway. :(

Here is what Newcastle say now according to Sportinglife.com
    http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/07/01/SOCCER_Barton.html&TEAMHD=soccer
    Newcastle have confirmed they will meet with midfielder Joey Barton to discuss his future after he was handed a four-month suspended sentence for assault.
    The 25-year-old admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm on former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo yesterday.
    Amid claims he had already been sacked, the Magpies released a statement through their official website after sentence was passed revealing talks would be held at the earliest opportunity.
    It read: "Newcastle United notes the sentence passed to Joey Barton at Manchester's Minshull Street Crown Court today (Tuesday).
    "The club now intends to hold discussions with Joey and his representatives at the earliest possible opportunity.
    "Until such time that this meeting has taken place, there will be no further comment from the club."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

sounds like he's for the door at newcastle tbh.

Absolute scum, he should rot in jail for at least 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

DeadSkin wrote: »
    LOL. Along with Smithy & Bowyer :p

Screw the best XI threads here, who`s everyones favourite skanger XI? :)

Seeing as Newky took him while he was awaiting trial for this incident why the hell is there anything to discuss? :confused:

And how did he end up getting jailed for the offence last winter first? Odd order of trials.

I wonder would Barton have got jailed had England made the Euros......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

pvt.joker wrote: »
    sounds like he's for the door at newcastle tbh.

aye definitely sounds like hes getting the boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dont think it was particularly lenient. It was a punch up ffs. Then the guy goes running to police.

I've had the odd fight over the yea`rs playign 5 a sides, never mind full competitive football , punch ups happen and you move on. Can you imagine the amount of Rubgy players that would be doing time if they got arrested every time punches were thrown? They'd have to build a special prison.

Just because he won the fight is no reason to treat him any differently. Set aside the fact of who is is and look at as a couple of lads haveing a fight.

he knocked the bloke out then kept punching him while he was unconscious and had to be pulled off by a team mate, who was then punched for his troubles

Helix wrote: »
    he knocked the bloke out then kept punching him while he was unconscious and had to be pulled off by a team mate, who was then punched for his troubles

Where does it say he knocked him out then hopped on him and kept punching?

Dabo, 31, pushed Barton's shoulder and was knocked unconscious. Eyewitnesses recalled Barton getting on top of the player and repeatedly hitting him.
    Dabo was treated in hospital for the effects of head trauma, an inflamed eye and bruised eyelids

If we're going to take it literally, then Dabo got knocked out by pushing Barton's shoulder.

Also "knocked out" is a term thrown about very loosely. People are rarely actually knocked out when they or someone else says they are,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

The fact that he knocked Dabo to the ground then stood over him hitting him in the face/eyes shows it's more than training ground handbags.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Where does it say he knocked him out then hopped on him and kept punching?

in the very next sentence you posted lol

in the very next sentence you posted lol

As I said, if we are to take it literally then Dabo knocked himself out while pushing Bartons shoulder, then Barton punched him. "lol"

Sure what am I saying, that sounds perfectly plausible and nothing like the paper having the timeline in the wrong order.

At the end of the day, if it wasnt Barton it would be seen as a training ground fight.

barton knocked him out then got on top of him while he was on the ground

are you taking it to mean that barton jumped up on top of dabo while he was unconscious, yet still managing to stand and hold the weight of a fully grown man or something?

barton knocked him out then got on top of him while he was on the ground

Where does it say he knocked him out (bearing in mind knocking someone out means unconcious, not as popular belief seems to be , just knocking them down) and then jumped on him and kept punchign him?

Again I'll say it so you can understand. Read the story LITERALLY. It says Dabo got knocked out pushing Bartons shoulder then Barton hopped on him.

Translate that into real life and it's - he pushes Barton and Barton decked him then jumped on him(possibley resulting in him being knocked out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

As a Newcastle fan I feel his days are numbered. But that really has nothing to do with this incident, but the last. We signed him with this hanging over him, so we could hardly condemn him for the outcome of the case. If anything, the suspended senetence was the best possible outcome, and people really shouldn't look at it as being the straw that broke the camels back.

It was the incident that took place over Christmas is a different issue, and imo, will be the undoing of his carear at St. James.

I'm kinda torn over whether I want him to go or not.

On one hand, what he did was inexcusable and really scummy, and if he was on an opposing team, I would probably slate the sh/t out of him.

But then another side of me thinks, if he serves his time, then he has paid his debt to society, and plenty of people are given another chance once rehabilitated (even in football alone; Tony Adams, Roy Keane, Paul Merson). On top of that is the fact that I feel there is a really good player somewhere inside that troubled man (illustrated by his end of season performances), and if he could keep his head down, and realise his potential, then w would have a top top player on our books.

I guess whatever way it goes, I won't kick up a fuss, but I can certainly understand if others do, should the club retain his services.

• Advertisement

Where does it say he knocked him out (bearing in mind knocking someone out means unconcious, not as popular belief seems to be , just knocking them down) and then jumped on him and kept punchign him?

Again I'll say it so you can understand. Read the story LITERALLY. It says Dabo got knocked out pushing Bartons shoulder then Barton hopped on him.

Translate that into real life and it's - he pushes Barton and Barton decked him then jumped on him(possibley resulting in him being knocked out)

or, and heres another idea, you go and read another report of it from any of the various sources. try for one that includes what was said in court during the case, especially from paul dickov who was the one punched in the face dragging barton off dabo

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Newcastle will f*ck him out

I'd love him at Leeds

I reckon you're on your own there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If he leaves (is told to F*uck off from) Newcastle then I wonder who will sign him, cos you gotta know someone will. A smaller club than his quality deserves but a bigger club than his attitude deserve probably will take the chance on him.

So, the thug that is Joey Barton has been released and he's being welcomed back to St. James' Park.
    Is Keegan off his trolley?
    He's seen the nasty side of this thug before at Man City with the cigar incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

The lads an absolute scumbag, period!

He has no self control and is a repeat offender. Its only a matter of time before he does something like this again, or worse!! And Newcastle won't sack him because of the money they spent on him.

I think his case should be treated like that of Adrian Mutu's sacking from Chelsea a few years back. Insta dismissal, 7 month ban from the game and in the end a fine of £7M!!!

So Newcastle are keeping him. I suppose I can understand. I mean, what would the Christmas party be like without him there!

Anyway, now he's lost his Nike sponsorship.
    Sportswear giant Nike have terminated their contract with Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton.

The Magpies have publicly backed the player since his release from prison earlier this week but Nike ended a £40,000 annual boot sponsorship deal following his conviction for assault and affray in May.

A spokesman said: "We have provision in all our sponsorship contracts that take into account any actions by an athlete that bring the brand into disrepute.

"While Joey is a talented footballer, we cannot condone or accept what he did.

"Back in May when he was found guilty, we immediately terminated his contract.

"We certainly have no plans to re-sign him now that he has been released."

Barton served 74 days of a six-month sentence after being jailed following an incident in Liverpool city centre last year.
    He was also given a four-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, after admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm on former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo during a training session last year.

Newcastle have said the 25-year-old will be given the chance to rebuild his football career at St James' Park.

A statement released on Tuesday read: "Newcastle United officials can confirm they have met with Joey Barton, following which it has been agreed by everyone involved that Joey will remain with the club.
    "The club will not be making any further comment at this time."

A big brand like Nike don't want him. Isn't Newcastle like a brand too?

The FA now goin' ahead and charging Barton over the assault on Dabo.
    If he gets a ban, I wonder will Keegan have second thoughts.

I'm probably gonna get slated for wearing my black and white specs, but I have to commend Joey for the interview he gave Sky, and the interview he gave the Chron.

The interview with Sky can be watched here.

His first actual interview though was with the Chron. after playing with the reserves the other night.
    JOEY Barton tonight admitted that the time has come to let his performances on the field do the talking and become one of football’s role models.

The Newcastle United midfielder revealed that he was 10 months sober but some people would “never forgive” him for his off-the-field misdemeanours.

The one-time England international said he’d endured a difficult 2008 so far and was ready to concentrate on nothing but football.

He said tonight: “People look at me as if I am a role model and I have never looked at myself in that light before.

“It is only through my misdemeanours and reading about them in the papers and hearing it spoke about on radio, that I know have done wrong.

All I am asking for is the chance to put right the wrongs.

“In some people’s minds I will never be forgiven.

“I know that I am living my life clean and in the right way now.

“I have stepped out of line a few times.

“But nothing as serious as the summer when I went to jail and through the courts.

“It has taken that for me to sit up and take notice.

“I have had more chances than anyone deserves and I am the first person to admit that.

“Hopefully I won’t need any more.

“The time now is to draw the line under talking and start letting my performances talk for themselves.”

Reflecting on his recent experiences he added: “I find it tough to find words to describe it.

“As everyone knows it has been difficult.

At the back end of last season I was going out playing and I wasn’t in the best of form or mental state and I also knew I was going to jail at the end of the season.

“That is a tough time in your personal career and it’s tough to turn on performances on a football pitch.

“Somehow I found a strength of character to do that.

“In the best of terms you wouldn’t want to do that.

Through my own stupidity I was forced to deal with that situation and hopefully I will never have to do that again.

Barton also says he’d love to turn back the clock but doesn’t expect people to condone his reckless behaviour.

He continued: “Hindsight is a wonderful thing if you can go back and change the past.

“If you could do that we all would because we all have skeletons in our cupboards.

“For me I have a few more things to regret than the average person.

For me it is a case of drawing a line under it and I am not asking anybody in any shape or form to forgive and forget.

I can’t condone the things I’ve done because the things I’ve been involved in and mixed up in are things people can’t condone.

“For me it is a case of putting everything to bed, in my mind I want to repay people that I have let down.

“I need to repay a lot of people’s faith.

In hindsight if I could go back and change it I would but I can’t.

“I can only try to do the right thing and rectify the mistakes I’ve made in the past.

At this moment in time I am 10 months sober and hopefully this interview will be the last interview I do for a long period of time.

I need to stop talking about how I’m going to do it and just do it.

“I need to repay my debt to the fans, the football club and the staff and everyone involved at Newcastle United.”

He also discussed the role Keegan played with him
    JOEY BARTON has paid tribute to departed Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan for sticking by him during his darkest hours.

It is understood that United were prepared to offload the troubled star on transfer deadline day to another Premier League club, but Keegan put the block on the move and that was one of the factors that resulted in the Toon legend quitting the club.

Barton served 74 days in Strangeways this year for assault and affray after becoming embroiled in an incident on December 27 last year at a fast food restaurant in Liverpool.

He was also hit with a six-game FA ban for attacking Ousmane Dabo during a training session at Manchester City before he signed for United.

Yet Keegan stuck with the player who he managed at Man City, and Barton has now revealed his appreciation for King Kev.

He said today: “Kevin, as everybody knows, put his neck on the line for me.

“He stuck by me. And I am eternally grateful to him for that.

“A lot of other people at the club stuck by me too, and they know who they are.

Hopefully, I can go on and do a job for this football club.

Commend him me arse.
    Of course he was goin' to come out and say all this tripe.
    He's one lucky bastard all the chances he's been given. He's trouble and it's only a matter of time before he steps outta line again imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

I'm probably gonna get slated for wearing my black and white specs, but I have to commend Joey for the interview he gave Sky, and the interview he gave the Chron.

hes full of sh1t.

you see the way he scornfully smiled when he tried to hurt Nasri at Arsenal?

I don't think he is sincere about any of these comments in the press. He is absolute scum, and he will keep getting away with everything.

I would love to see him have the sh1t beaten out of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

The thing is we've heard it all before. I remember an article on him a while back on how he was rehabilitating himself at some program for addiction set up by Tony Adams. Then a few months later he battered Dabo.
    Loco wrote: »

I would love to see him have the sh1t beaten out of him

It's times like this, I really miss Keano.

I guess my general point was that what he has come out and said, is all you can ask of him right now. He could have just shrugged it off, made excuses, told the media to lay off.

- He admits he is very fortunate to be given another chance, and knows that he didn't deserve it.
    - He isn't asking for people to forgive him,or forget his actions.
    - He knows that he is going to come in for alot of stick on and off the pitch, and he says this is fully deserved.
    - He knows that it's time to stop talking about what he should do, or how he should do it. Now is the time to stop talking about doing the right things, and just get on and do it. He says that this will be his last interview for a while.
    - He names a few people at the club, including Keegan, and thanks them for sticking their neck on the line. He knows he has to repay their faith now, and repay the club and fans for letting them down.
    - He doesn't seek forgiveness, he only wants to chance to put right his wrongs.
    - Finally, he is 10 months sober, and I would imagine that that is a big part of his past troubles, and a determining factor as to whether he can put things right.

I know alot of people will always hate Barton, and I don't expect them to welcome his return with glee. All I am saying is that, as of right now, he is sending out all the right messages, and not shying away from his actions. As a fan of NUFC, should I not be encouraged by this?

Barton himself alludes to it himself, and I heard someone else mention it, but if Joey can put this all behind him, and resurrect his career successfully, he will be setting an example for many young people who may be on the wrong side of the rack right now. As good a role model as the likes of Beckham adn Owen are, it is hard surely for someone young who may be from a troubled background, and has been chucked out of school or whatever, to relate to. Joey has the opportunity now to show these kinds of youngsters how, even if you've fcuked up in the past, there is still time to put those things behind you, and get back on the straight and narrow.

I
    As a fan of NUFC, should I not be encouraged by this?

If I were a NUFC fan, I'd reserve judgement. He's said this all before so I don't see why he should be believed again. Let his actions do the talking.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    If I were a NUFC fan, I'd reserve judgement. He's said this all before so I don't see why he should be believed again. Let his actions do the talking.

Oh course. But as a set of fans who have been generally starved of communication from the club, and honesty, it is welcoming to hear. But I agree, Joey's test comes with how he now deals with himself both on and off the pitch from here on in

Good post Charlie, but there is no way he could've turned round and tried to shrug it off, if he is serious about getting his career back on track.
    He's been in this similiar position before and he didn't learn from them.
    I for one, if I was a NUFC supporter I'd want rid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

This is a guy who amoung other things

Stubs a cigar out on a team mates eye.

Attacks a young everton fan on a far east trip and punches richard dunne who pulled him away .

Takes part in a serious attack in on somebody in public in which he was doing most of the punching and kicking .

He is also responsible for sevearl other anti social incidents and coincidently ,is the half brother of another who took part in the murder of a black student. .

Now he expects the public who are not really that gullible to belive he wants to be a role model .Would you want your son or daughter to have that as a role model ? Anybody else in any other walk of life who commited such offences would have being kicked out the back door .

I dispise him as a man ,a footballer and i hope he fails ,fails ,fails .

Oh course. But as a set of fans who have been generally starved of communication from the club, and honesty, it is welcoming to hear.

What's the value of communication, when the past tells you that it's bull***t?

He's been in this similiar position before and he didn't learn from them.

True. But then he had never been to jail before then. Never been sober for this length of time. I agree, words pale in comparison to actions. But as things stand, h is doing all that can b asked of him right now, and with what seems to be the right attitude. Only time will tell whether he is able to do it or not.
    I for one, if I was a NUFC supporter I'd want rid.

In an ideal world, perhaps. However, Mike Ashley has reduced our squad, and our ambitions, to a level where the return of Joey Barton is like a new signing. We can ill afford right now to be picky over who is turning out for us.

latchyco wrote: »

Attacks a young everton fan on a far east trip and punches richard dunne who pulled him away .

Takes part in a serious attack in on somebody in public in which he was doing most of the punching and kicking .

He is also responsible for sevearl other anti social incidents and coincidently ,is the half brother of another who took part in the murder of a black student. .

Now he expects the public who are not really that gullible to belive he wants to be a role model .Would you want your son or daughter to have that as a role model ? Anybody else in any other walk of life who commited such offences would have being kicked out the back door .

What's your point here?
    Sure isn't Tim Cahill's brother doin' time for assault

Re Barton's brother, does this not perhaps show the kind of people he grew up with and influenced him at an early age. Not everyone grew up in middle class suburbia.

This is in no way an excuse for Barton's actions, but it gives a context to the values (or lack thereof) that were probably instilled in him.

• Advertisement

Re Barton's brother, does this not perhaps show the kind of people he grew up with and influenced him at an early age. Not everyone grew up in middle class suburbia.

This is in no way an excuse for Barton's actions, but it gives a context to the values (or lack thereof) that were probably instilled in him.

Plenty of murderers and thugs in middle class suburbia Charlie :pac: ;)

What's your point here?
    Sure isn't Tim Cahill's brother doin' time for assault
    Point is he want's to change and be a role model . .But he had that chance when he first became a well paid footballer several years ago .The man has a dysfunctional personality problem and maybe his upbringing has something to do with it .But Stephen Gearrad grew up in the same area as barton and is the role model barton can only dream of being .He says he regrets everything he did and hasnt had a drink for so many months .Ok ,but he is going to be remembered as much for his off field antics as any football to come .Maybe he will turn the corner and become a better human being .Time will tell

Point is he want's to change and be a role model . .But he had that chance when he first became a well paid footballer several years ago .The man has a dysfunctional personality problem and maybe his upbringing has something to do with it .But Stephen Gearrad grew up in the same area as barton and is the role model barton can only dream of being .He says he regrets everything he did and hasnt had a drink for so many months .Ok ,but he is going to be remembered as much for his off field antics as any football to come .Maybe he will turn the corner and become a better human being .Time will tell

Barton himself says in the interview on SSN that he knows that he has blown the chance to be a role model like Beckham or Gerrard, something which he regrets.

What there is the opportunity for him though is to become a role model for kids who are getting themselves in trouble, who as he says himself 'maybe unreachable at the moment', and show them that it is possible to put those wrongs behind you, and try and get your life back in order.

Only time will tell whether joey can do that or not, but I do think it's a valid point.

Barton himself says in the interview on SSN that he knows that he has blown the chance to be a role model like Beckham or Gerrard, something which he regrets.

What there is the opportunity for him though is to become a role model for kids who are getting themselves in trouble, who as he says himself 'maybe unreachable at the moment', and show them that it is possible to put those wrongs behind you, and try and get your life back in order.

Only time will tell whether joey can do that or not, but I do think it's a valid point.
    God knows there are enough youngsters around today kicking the crap out of other innocents ,young and old and worse .We see hear and read about it every day on the news .If he can help turn around the lives of youngsters who are going down the wrong road then he will be applauded far and wide for it and maybe some good can come out of all that's gone before in Bartons life .

God knows there are enough youngsters around today kicking the crap out of other innocents ,young and old and worse .We see hear and read about it every day on the news .If he can help turn around the lives of youngsters who are going down the wrong road then he will be applauded far and wide for it and maybe some good can come out of all that's gone before in Bartons life .

LOL, I wouldn't expect miracles, but I thought it was an interesting point, and something positive that Joey can look to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Barton has had numerous chances, and I really hope he does realise how lucky he is, and grabs this chance, the Arsenal match might suggests that he won't, that was a dangerous tackle that if he got wrong could meant a serious injury for Nasri and the grin he gave after was stupid. However having said that and after seeing the interview today maybe he will, I remember seeing him interviewed on Inside Sport about a year ago and his attitude was terrible, it was a case of the world against Joey Barton and none of it was his fault,todays interview he actually admits that he has made mistakes and has behaved badly. I really do hope he will now put everything into his football as he is quite a good player.

LOL, I wouldn't expect miracles, but I thought it was an interesting point, and something positive that Joey can look to achieve.
    If he is sincere as he sounds then he would be the best person to say to kids '' look this was me ,this is what i had and i nearly threw it all away but i was given a second ,third ,fourth chance , etc . Thing is he might be seen in many peoples eyes as something of a joke and passed the point of rescue .We will see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Christ Charlie, why do you feel the need to defend the indefensible? The guy is an absolute ******* who has had more than his fair share of second chances.
    He will never ever be a role model, even if he did turn things around he would never be a role model.

If being given chance after chance after chance but yet constantly fvcking up is what constitutes as a being a role model nowadays well then it's a sad state of affairs that we find ourselves in.

And as for the comment by latchyco about his brother being involved in the murder of a black student, I don't see what that's got to do with anything, he's done enough terrible things without having to drag in the rest of his family to prove what a bad egg he is. And to try to use that to give some "context to the values (or lack thereof) that were probably instilled in him" is so so wrong. A lot of footballers come from underprivileged backgrounds and don't carry on like Barton.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    And as for the comment by latchyco about his brother being involved in the murder of a black student, I don't see what that's got to do with anything, he's done enough terrible things without having to drag in the rest of his family to prove what a bad egg he is. And to try to use that to give some "context to the values (or lack thereof) that were probably instilled in him" is so so wrong. A lot of footballers come from underprivileged backgrounds and don't carry on like Barton.
    Well ok maybe it was unfair and incorrect of me to bring his brother wrong doings into the post and he went on sky news to plead for his brother to return and face the music when he absconded with another .But that should have being the beginning of Bartons role model ,not carry on to a lesser degree and bringing more shame to his fsmily name .Your right , a lot of footballers and ordinary people come from underprivileged backgrounds and dont behave the way he did with a chip on his shoulder like it's everbody else fault ,not mine .Incidently if you saw the footage of bartons assault on that guy in Liverpool ,people have died from lesser kicks and punches to the head . .Either way regardless of how the guy turns out for better or worse ,i dont really care .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

nice post, didnt know about 1 or 2 of the other things you mentioned. completely forgot about his brother too.

+1

• Advertisement
Advertisement