Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Best Of The RTE Panel's Euro Coverage.

• 01-07-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭

Some beautys in here.:D
    Gilesy on Ronaldo - "Marilyn Monroe was the greatest star in the world but she was never known as a great actor. Ronaldo is like that."

Bill - "what do you think of Group B gentlemen?" (the group with Germany, Austria, Poland and Croatia) Souness - "Looks a bit like World War II, Bill".

Dunphy - "Real Madrid are offering ronaldo €250,000 a week after tax, he has a model girlfriend, he's 23, he's good looking, I hate him"

Bill: - "Just one interesting point. Italy have now qualified for the quarter final with 4 points ,when last time they failed to qualify with 5 points....whatever that means........i actually don't know" ..... que laughter from Gilesy and Brady

first Swittzerland game:

Bill:"It's said the Barnetta is their best player, what do we know about him?"
    Eamo:"Well he's Swiss so he mother was a banker and his father was a clock maker"

Souness - "I agree with Liam......"
    Dunphy - "Its Eamon"
    Souness - "Sorry, whats your name....haha....good job Liams not here"

Dunphy - "Holland look good but they haven't played a proper team yet"
    Brady - "They beat Italy 3-0 and France 4-1, two WC finalists. what do you mean a proper team?"
    Dunphy - "Sweden"

Brady: "The games at five o'clock have been inferior."
    Bill: "For what reason?"
    Brady: "Well, I think it is cooler at night, Bill."
    Bill: "Hold on, we're only talking 23 degrees. That's what it was like in Dublin today."
    Brady: "Still hot. Still hot. I was playing golf today. I found it hot."
    Bill: "Did you shoot a good score Liam?"
    Brady: "No, not really."
    Bill: "And were you as indolent as they (Romania and France) were?"
    Gilesy: "You try playing golf at night Bill."

And best of the tournament
    Souness unimpressed with Thierry Henry's bravery for the Italian second
    goal:
    "He's got his hands down protecting his downstairs area and sticks his foot out like a nancy"
    Eamo: "If you don't mind me saying Graeme, the shot was a bit low to have affected his downstairs area."
    Cue Gilesy mumbling: "You don't know with these lads, Eamon."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Quality :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Excellent! Souness WWII, classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

PMSL!

God I miss RTE coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

can't think of many but dunphy's one about luca toni and bayern munich being shiiite sticks out...
    Bill, talking about Mertesacker and Metzelder, " they call them the twin towers". Bill, seconds later, and they're getting destroyed just like .......

realised what he was about to say, he stopped just in time

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

staker wrote: »
    Bill, talking about Mertesacker and Metzelder, " they call them the twin towers". Bill, seconds later, and they're getting destroyed just like .......

I remenber that.

Quality!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

can't think of many but dunphy's one about luca toni and bayern munich being shiiite sticks out...

That's the one I was thinking of, my jaw was starting to drop as I realised what he was going to say but he managed to brush over the end of it, barely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Unfortunately missed the comment myself, but Giles' crack about the Lisbon treaty during the semi-final power outage sounded classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Gilesy: "You try playing golf at night Bill."

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

lol, brilliant!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I have to say the one holland one is awesome! God RTE coverage rocks... who would have thought i'd miss Dunphy & co...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Some new ones in here mixed with some repeated

Souness - "Croatia were a little bit tippy tappy for me".

Bill - "What do you think of Group B gentlemen?"

Souness - "Looks abit like World War II, Bill".

Dunphy on Saturday "Real Madrid are offering ronaldo €250,000 a week after tax, he has a model girlfriend, he's 23, he's good looking, I hate him"

Dunphy - "Sergio Ramos is like Paul McShane on steroids".

Quote by Jimmy Magee, in the Portugal v Czech game.

He was talking about the midfielder for Portugal who had just taken a shot at goal.

"He is clearly a privileged spectator as that is the first thing he has done all day"

Jimmy Magee again : and the ball is passed wide to Ricardo Ronaldo '...Kinsella was too polite to correct him then a min later he says...'I just promoted the Portuguese goalkeeper to the wing'.

Jimmy The gee again: "This must be the most attacks by an Italian team in an international match in the first 16 minutes than anyone can remember"

Dunphy - "Holland look good but they haven't played a proper team yet"

Brady - "They beat Italy 3-0 and France 4-1, two WC finalists. What do you mean a proper team?"

Dunphy - "Sweden"

Mark Kinsella after 15 minutes the match between Austria & Germany..............

"I see what the Austrians are tryin to do here, they are tryin to stop the Germans playing football"

Mark Kinsella when the challenge was made on lahm (which resulted in ballacks stunning freekick)...........talking about the austrian who brought lahm down "he really needed to make that tackle........doesnt matter bout the free kick lahm was on a good run".............ballack riffles one home.........."ya see needless freekicks cost ya”

Jimmy again: klasnic has socred for poland, they lead one nil" then it shows the replay and he realise it was a goal against poland and he says " of course that was Klasnic of portugal who got the goal

BILL:

"Just one interesting point.Italy have now qualified for the quarter final with 4 points ,when last time they failed to qualify with 5 points.Whatever that means,i don't know" Smile

Souness - "I agree with Liam......"

Dunphy - "Its Eamon"

Souness - "Sorry, whats your name....haha....good job Liams not here"

Rte quality discussing Italys second goal

Souness: Henry didn't want 2 know...too concerned in covering his manhood that he turned his back on d ball

Dunphy: Think it was a bit low to b worried about his manhood

Giles : Eamonn how do u know his manhood doesn’t go down that low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I feckin hate Jimmy Magee with a passion. He's gettin quite senile and should have retired years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I feckin hate Jimmy Magee with a passion. He's gettin quite senile and should have retired years ago.

I'm sorry, but I must strenuously disagree!

Jimmy Magee isn't getting senile.

He's always been that way!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mark Kinsella after 15 minutes the match between Austria & Germany..............

"I see what the Austrians are tryin to do here, they are tryin to stop the Germans playing football"

LOL. Nothing gets past Mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Given it was the Turkey game I was more disappointed Eamonn didnt interject with something along the lines of "and they got destroyed by a team of determined muslims and all" :eek: Dunphy has tamed too much :pac:

Lads discussing the prospect of Italy v Spain ending in penos

Bill "So Eamonn, do you reckon we are in for a long night?"
    Eamonn "All Ill say is Bill, I hope you dont have a date tonight" :pac:

Bills reaction in the thickest Cark accent "ahnowEamonn, godbewiththedays!" was hilarious.

Dunphy went into a who is he Bill/murdered/destroyed/nothing player classic after (or was it half time) in the Turkey match (in reference to zee Germans though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I loved Bill's failure to control his laughter on one occasion when they'd returned from Apres Match - laughing like a schoolgirl he was! Their little speeches about Liam on the last night were pretty nice too, I'll miss the A-Team panel.
    We've a much better panel here than on ITV or BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

they should release a "best of" compilation. i'd buy it. anyone know if there is??

Advertisement