Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voice, Security, Routing & Switching or Service Provider

Options
  • 01-07-2008 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

With the new Cisco CCNA level specialization options I'm wondering which do you think would be most beneficial (or even in the IT industry in general) as a certification.

Im going to sit the CCNA soon and I'm finishing up the MCSE: Security and Messaging I'm then looking to take one of these routes with Cisco.

I'm starting to lean more towards Security myself... but I'm afraid It could be saturated in a few years.

I'm also looking at the possibility of moving to Australia within the next 4 years so I would like to get a certification that would help secure a job there too.

Which is most beneficial in an International Market? 2 votes

Voice
    0%
    Routing and Switching
    50%
    Static M.e. 1 vote
    Security
    50%
    michael.oleary 1 vote
    Service Provider Technologies
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

No feedback on this at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

the one you're most interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

+1

As far as I see it though, all things being equal:

R&S - Most common sector, more competition but also more jobs available. If you were travelling blind to a new country and wanted a skillset that was most likely to land you 'a' job in networking then this would be the choice imho. Bread and butter.
    Provider - similar to R&S but more geographically restricted as you will likely need to work at a NOC.
    Security - 2nd fastest growing track and the one that is changing the most rapidly. While a lot of folks are trying to get some infosec training many don't get enough background in the areas they will secure to be truly effective so there is plenty of room to improve to the point you stand out well from the crowd. Also with the changes in hardware/software happening so quickly while the market may saturate in the near future those who do not actively keep up with those changes will move out of it so it will not stay that way.
    Voice - the fastest growing track but still a small job-market share compared to the others. Also probably the hardest to study for as the equipment used is rarer and more expensive to try and get hold of for a home lab.

Just my $.02

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

:)

I've decided to go the R&S route as its the one I'm most interested in/know most about.
    So far so good :)

Advertisement