Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing car from England

Options
  • 01-07-2008 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I am in the process of buying a new car and selling my old car (which is painful) and wondering if there is a limit on the number of cars you can bring over which will be exempt from VRT (Ive been resident in uk for more than 3 years, will have owned both cars for more than 6months when moving)?

I was going to sell my 2nd car, but wonder if it is possible to just bring it over aswell?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dont believe you can sell the car for 12 months after your arrival home afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 spluff

listermint wrote: »
    Dont believe you can sell the car for 12 months after your arrival home afaik

Yes I understand that.......

I am just wondering if it is possible to bring both cars into the country? Or is there a limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

spluff wrote: »
    Yes I understand that.......

I am just wondering if it is possible to bring both cars into the country? Or is there a limit?

Limit to VRTing a car. You can only bring in one. You could however sell the other without the VRT i suppose. But the 2nd car market over here aint to hot at the moment. So may be a while i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

listermint wrote: »
    Limit to VRTing a car. You can only bring in one. You could however sell the other without the VRT i suppose. But the 2nd car market over here aint to hot at the moment. So may be a while i guess.

incorrect .. as long as you own them and they both are exempt from VRT (owned for >6mth etc..) you can bring in as many as you want.

I know as my wife did it a few years ago. However, expect a few extra questions and nosey revenue officials querying why you have more than one car. But if it is all above board no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 spluff

whippet wrote: »
    incorrect .. as long as you own them and they both are exempt from VRT (owned for >6mth etc..) you can bring in as many as you want.

I know as my wife did it a few years ago. However, expect a few extra questions and nosey revenue officials querying why you have more than one car. But if it is all above board no problem.

wow many thanks mate - If i sell it here before I travel I will, I just dont fancy getting screwed by the garages......

I think Ive worked out even if i keep it 1 year I will still be better off bringing it over. Unless my calculations are all off :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just be sure you have documentary proof (insurance certs, tax disks, service invoices etc.) of having owned and used both cars during the six month minimum period. You may be asked why you had two cars - have a plausible story ready. For example, you used one car for work, the other at weekends, or for shopping, or for longer journeys etc. You are entitled to bring more than one car (or motorbike) with you, it's just when it's not the norm, you can sometimes get a bit more attention.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement