Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Subforums?

Options
  • 01-07-2008 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Question to those in the know, sorry if its in the wrong place.

Im just curious as to what y'all think of teams own subforums?
    Now im a webhost and have many sites but i dont want the hassle of creating a new forum with all the security issues with PHPBB etc,
    The hawks have a wordpress site which does the job but thankfully its no hassle, but it aint got forums.
    So i got to thinking, what about giving teams their own subforums?
    Do we like it? Can it be done here on boards.ie? Or is it totally not feesable.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭FingalAirsoft

Sounds good;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dr_Pepper wrote: »
    Question to those in the know, sorry if its in the wrong place.

Im just curious as to what y'all think of teams own subforums?
    Now im a webhost and have many sites but i dont want the hassle of creating a new forum with all the security issues with PHPBB etc,
    The hawks have a wordpress site which does the job but thankfully its no hassle, but it aint got forums.
    So i got to thinking, what about giving teams their own subforums?
    Do we like it? Can it be done here on boards.ie? Or is it totally not feesable.

I dunno, you'd have to make a hierarchy with say "Teams" on top, then each team underneath. Lots of subforums. If you had enough members to warrent it but, for example, the PTP only have 2 players on boards, though if we had a subforum it might encourage more to sign up.

Wheres keith?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If there is a serious appetite for this we can certainly request it from the admins. The one concern I have is it will add at least one more forum at the top of the main forum area pushing the threads down further.

How many active teams are we talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I can really see the Contractors, ATF and all the bigger teams finding this usefull as they have something like 30 members each. Smallers teams, bit of a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭FingalAirsoft

Viper Squad is growing.... about 15 members last count.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

I was thinking of them being only accessible to the teams themselves so it wouldn't hamper anyone else's experience like the IAA Pre-AGM one.
    Never thought of the aesthetics though.

How about this then,
    A subforum for Sites and retailers specifically, so no chance of shilling, could charge a small fee perhaps?
    Then that way the teams could have a thread in the forum of the site that they play in or come from?
    i.e Hawks forum under HRTA and ATS forum under ATS?

Dr. Pepper that is already being talked about and actually will be dealt with before any other requests.

Any sub forum here will be publically viewable. If a team wants a private forum then they can request it from the admins themselves on this forum and ask for a hosted forum.

Any forum off the main airsoft forum will have the airsoft mods moderating it. We are thinking about a Teams forum where any team related posts can go.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,895 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think a general teams sub forum in which each team has a dedicated thread would work well. Sub fora within sub fora is just going to get messy, especially if you start making them private/request only. New teams will start up and request one, won't work out, forum dies..etc. Who moderates these forums?

If you have one forum that caters to every team then none of that really happens.

Again, same with a retailer forum. One place for retailers. Not fora within fora within fora. You'll have to keep creating new ones.

I really think you have to find the balance between narrowing down the scope of a forum and splitting it off so much it dies.

well see between gandalf and oisin you've pretty much destroyed my easy way out of hosting a forum! :p
    ah no thanks really i see your point as i really didnt think it through but just didnt wanna have to set one up myself, coz i is lazy sometimes.

Thanks anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,895 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Airsoft is a sub forum of airsoft & paintball.

Nothing is stopping us from having more fora created under airsoft & paintball. It would keep airsoft looking the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Another option is we could use the same kind of free forums that cork airsoft currently use, simple to set up just create a lot of forums and give access to the relative people in the relative areas, not much work and no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Yea, but the original idea as DrPepper suggested was to host it here on boards.ie, vBulletin is a hell of a lot more reliable than phpbb and other free forum software and you also have the reliability of the distributed hosting servers boards.ie is hosted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

agree, that why i said it was another idea, should have maybe added if the boards.ie option does not come thought, if you give teams there own sud forums that no one else can access how do you work out who gets them? a team of 30 who talk once a week or a small team of 3 who talk every day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

I really like the idea of retailer, site and teams sub-forums, with threads for retailers, sites and teams within them. It would be a good, easy-to-manage halfway house while still allowing firm management of thread-spoiling and shilling. There are a little of both at the moment and segregating those activities might make things clearer for those so inclined. It actually would make it easier to track down the day-to-day discussions, because retailer, site and team discussions tend to be of interest to people in a very specific way.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭ASI Casper

If it turns out to be not viable or approved by the admins here on boards, ASI will be happy to put up team subforums for any ROI team. We've simply never had any requests for any.
    It seems to be a common misconception that ASI is an 'NI only' site.

But it may be infinately prefereable for ROI teams to have their subforums posted here on boards.ie as Dr.Pepper & kdouglas suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Sounds like a good idea, although for the moment I find as easy to use the "Airsoft In Limerick" thread as a good enough place to hoar our team.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

I don't know if I'll get in trouble posting this so if the mod's think I'm pimping our site then snip away if needs be
    But we already have a team subforum and a site/retailer subforum on our website and the same on the Airsoft Ireland Forums and it seems to work pretty well so far
    I'd say it would look good on Boards, but would you have the space?
    Lethal has a point, theres loads of small 2 person teams amounting up to over 20 teams but so far we haven't had a problem with it.
    The Ghosts already have their own forums on the ghosts website, and we have our own monthly newsletter.
    CAP have airsoft portal
    Hawks have their own announcement page on their website
    is there a need for the subforums at all if so many of the teams have their own websites?

Giz I would really prefer if you didn't pimp your site openly here. As a long standing mod on boards we have a policy of not allowing sites use us as a advertising medium.

We have no problems with you having it in your sig, but blatant plugging or subliminal plugging is frowned upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

Giz I would really prefer if you didn't pimp your site openly here. As a long standing mod on boards we have a policy of not allowing sites use us as a advertising medium.

We have no problems with you having it in your sig, but blatant plugging or subliminal plugging is frowned upon.

I was comparing the fact that we had it on our site, and so do AIF
    and by that I meant to make a point that we haven't had the problem of every ejit setting up a group in the teams section. By mentioning the site I was by no means trying to plug, thats why I said if theres a problem just snip away the names of the websites if needed

And sorry, how come in the paintball forum they pimp paintballer.ie in nearly every thread and they don't get in trouble?
    It's not like boards or our website are paid companies, and we are purely trying to promote the sport of airsoft, not trying to sell any products

Also I myself posted in our Newbie section yesterday a thread promoting as many airsoft forums and websites for the access of new airsoft players and I INCLUDED BOARDS!

So it seems my idea really hasnt the need or infrastructure yet.
    Ah well its no bother, twas just an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

So it seems my idea really hasnt the need or infrastructure yet.
    Ah well its no bother, twas just an idea.

see gizmo,'s op

quite frankly the mods here are full of bull scutter ,

the IAA forums are"pimped" here
    Rabbits site is also there somewhere,
    among a few others,

(wonder how long ill be waiting for this post to be deleted)
    o1s1n wrote:
    we can only allow a thread promoting another forum catering to the same subject for so long.

i think that speaks for itself given both sites mentioned above include forums catering to the same subject,

gizmo's post was relevant and helpful showing that the requested forums exist, but gets told off for what others are allowed do on more than one forum of boards,

quite frankly i dont give a flying fvck if this gets me banned because it needed to be said and the 4 of us know the real reason we are being singled out over the others

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

weeder wrote: »
    among a few others,

Eh... less then yours. You lot post in your thread like a little blog of what your doing over on your site. Your a forum competing with boards.ie so the fact that your alowed at all is by the grace of the Admins.

As for the paintball forum, I dont mod that so thats their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Now in fairness that thread is closed now, its a lack of clarity of policy which has caused the confusion with the latest posts.

Now thats complete nonsense.
    The mods only point guys to the IAA forums when it deals with IAA issues.
    In fact i thank them for this as it keeps the political crap away from this main source of airsoft info in ireland.
    The IAA forums are for IAA related stuff only and a quick glimpse at them shows this.
    These forums are not in "competition" or "catering to the same subject" and hence are pointed to when needed by the mods themselves and not the IAA.
    So i'd appreciate it if you saw the error of mention this incorrect statement and retracted it.

P.S On another note i saw gizmo's post and took the info in but due to a design choice i wont be asking to have our forums hosted on IAF.

quite frankly the mods here are full of bull scutter ,

Nice way to endear yourself to us :rolleyes:

Wrong people are requested to post there if they have any queries for the IAA as all topics concerning the IAA here tend to get certain characters out to flame the crap out of the threads.
    among a few others,

Well those sites are not pimped to the level yours is and really are not direct competition to this forum. It has always been the policy of boards not to give airtime to rival forums. Its been tolerated before now on this forum but hey now I'm modding here its no longer the case.
    i think that speaks for itself given both sites mentioned above include forums catering to the same subject,

WRONG the IAA one is specifically for the IAA, Crazyrabbits as far as memory serves me is a calender for Airsoft events. Yours however is direct competition to this.
    gizmo's post was relevant and helpful showing that the requested forums exist, but gets told off for what others are allowed do on more than one forum of boards,

For pimping your site.
    quite frankly i dont give a flying fvck if this gets me banned because it needed to be said and the 4 of us know the real reason we are being singled out over the others

Quite frankly you have been infracted for it and if I see any pimping or subliminal pimping (eh Gatling) from any of the big 4 I will start banning people.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

gandalf wrote: »
    Quite frankly you have been infracted for it and if I see any pimping or subliminal pimping (eh Gatling) from any of the big 4 I will start banning people.

ok why am i being named for something ,i havent posted on the last subject ive been neutral so far ,but if im being brought into stuff that has nothing to do with me ,then its open season ,

Look lads, can the mods come up with a final policy (or if one exists point it out) on what constitutes pimping etc. so everyone is happy?

Dr.P's thread has been well and truly derailed here, just come up with a clear policy, put it in the charter and we can all be happy airsofters.

Motosam wrote: »
    Look lads, can the mods come up with a final policy (or if one exists point it out) on what constitutes pimping etc. so everyone is happy?

Dr.P's thread has been well and truly derailed here, just come up with a clear policy, put it in the charter and we can all be happy chairsofters.

fixed :p

fixed :p

Who me?

I've been at plenty of games lately :confused:

uh 2...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

To be honest lads, half of the stuff which is allowed here would get you banned on other forums. The retailer and sites thread are explicitly against boards.ie's rules and will get you sitebanned in other fora here on boards.
    They were allowed here when the forum and airsoft itself was only starting out purely because of the fact that it helped the community, people are starting to consider this the norm and frankly, they are taking advantage of it.

Think about this for a minute, if someone was to go set up a poker forum website and then go into the poker forum here on boards.ie and post about it, what do you think would happen? At the very least they'd be banned from the poker forum and quite possibly sitebanned from boards.ie entirely.

the 4 of us know the real reason we are being singled out over the others

What would that be then? As explained above, the mods have been very lenient allowing you to post a thread about IAF at all in the first place, so what makes you think you are being singled out?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement