Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reduced Speed Limits for Learners

Options
  • 01-07-2008 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

I just read in the Irish Times that the RSA want to have reduced speed limits for learner drivers. Are they mad? As it is when I stay within the speed limits on certain roads, I have drivers right up my backside and passing me out like I was at a standstill.
    Do anyone have any ideas on how they could possibly expect this to work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Deadeyes wrote: »
    Do anyone have any ideas on how they could possibly expect this to work?
    It works in other countries.

In Northern Ireland a learner driver and a driver who has just passed a test are restricted to a lower speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

RSA are picking on Learner Drivers but what about the other morons on the road???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

In Northern Ireland a learner driver and a driver who has just passed a test are restricted to a lower speed limit.

We are in Ireland.

IRELAND:

IRELAND.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

iRock wrote: »
    We are in Ireland.

don't be such a twit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

Well now I know what the "R" on R plates stand for, are these drivers allowed on motorways?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Deadeyes wrote: »
    Well now I know what the "R" on R plates stand for, are these drivers allowed on motorways?

R plate drivers in the UK are restricted to a 45mph speed limit so i presume they're not allowed to drive on motorways. There is no R plate system in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It would be a terrible idea, in fact its more lightly to cause accidents from idiots trying to overtake them in unsafe situations....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ztoical wrote: »
    don't be such a twit
    Careful now ztoical!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There is no R plate system in Ireland.

Of course there is, the poster just said there is one in Northern Ireland. however there is not one in the 26 counties. R drivers in NI can drive on motorways. The limitations of the 45mph speed limit in the context of a motorway is seen as the main limitation of this idea, it would be better to have a speed limit based on the the type of road e.g. 45mph on regular roads and speed limit less 10mph on motorways etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Past your test and then it won't be a problem:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ardmacha wrote: »
    Of course there is, the poster just said there is one in Northern Ireland. however there is not one in the 26 counties. R drivers in NI can drive on motorways. The limitations of the 45mph speed limit in the context of a motorway is seen as the main limitation of this idea, it would be better to have a speed limit based on the the type of road e.g. 45mph on regular roads and speed limit less 10mph on motorways etc.

I am not familiar with the UK restricted licensing system, i only knew that there was a 45mph restriction, hence my reasoning for using the word "presume" in my post. I think i made myself very clear in saying the UK, which incase you didn't realise, includes the north. No need to get cheeky.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

kmart6 wrote:
    Past your test and then it won't be a problem :)

Well in the North, you're restricted for a year after you pass your test. I hope they don't bring it in here personally. There are enough people driving at 70-80kph on single carriageway N-roads as it is without adding more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

When I had L plates up people did crazy overtaking. I honestly felt that my L Plates were endangering people! I had cars on my bumper, trying to overtake without enough room, on corners, without going quick enough.

I drive exactly the same now that I've passed my test and I'm never overtaken.
    If they had a slower speed limit I would fear for the mad overtaking that would follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

When I had L plates up people did crazy overtaking. I honestly felt that my L Plates were endangering people! I had cars on my bumper, trying to overtake without enough room, on corners, without going quick enough.

I completely agree. When some people see L plates up they seem to think that they have to prove what a superior driver they by doing ridiculously dangerous stunts.

I remember once when I was going at the speed limit on a 50kph road going into town, a lady in a big black people carrier with tweetybird sun protectors decided to bolt past me on a blind bend, narrowly missing an oncoming car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Tight Ted wrote: »
    I completely agree. When some people see L plates up they seem to think that they have to prove what a superior driver they by doing ridiculously dangerous stunts.

I

+1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I think it would endanger more people on the road by bringing it in. Stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Careful now ztoical!

apologies WA - like any good driver I should think before I act in future lol

Advertisement