Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amy Winehouse-lack of talent verified

Options
  • 01-07-2008 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

Anyone see Amy $hithouse at Glasto and/or the Mandela concert?They were both shown on BBC, live! hilarious, she was terrible- she was out of key,couldn't stand up properly and her backing singers ended up sounding alot better than her.

Worse part is this, she'll make the excuse that she was really high- and her fans will think,"oh that Amy Winehouse, she's so cooool!"

Surely those performances will be the death of her career?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

ZakAttak wrote: »

You're joking?

Her sales will go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Her death will be the performance of her career.

Then everyone will mourn the death of one of the greatest muscial potentials ever.
    Ask me bollix.

She a fookin junk ball, like the one's you see walking around town with the junky limp, pushing prams!

She doesn't bring anything new to music!!!
    She's a tribute artist for a bygone age.

She CAN SING, true very true.
    Celine Dion can sing too, and she's ****.

Bring on her demise (career wise, not life wise!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

a lot of recent musicians are very lacklustre in terms of their performance standards, its not like a little mistake here and there, its like they just doing a bad impression of their records. Panic at the Disco though have that tune that struck me as miles better than anything of the mainstream indie thats out there and they performed it well. American bands tend to be way better musicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Good grief, she was terrible.
    Wasn't there something about her being quite sick this past week though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Anyone see Amy $hithouse at Glasto and/or the Mandela concert?They were both shown on BBC, live! hilarious, she was terrible- she was out of key,couldn't stand up properly and her backing singers ended up sounding alot better than her.

Worse part is this, she'll make the excuse that she was really high- and her fans will think,"oh that Amy Winehouse, she's so cooool!"

Maybe, 'Amy Winehouse-full of Crack verified' would be a better title:(
    I think it's sad, and of course she's not the first to waste her talent at the hands of drug addiction. As a fan (of her music) I would love to see her perform live, at her best, in her full health, however at the moment she is a train-wreak. She will be at a festival I'm going to this year (possibly!), but I'll be well away, even thought I'm a fan, I couldn't stand and watch somebody with such obviously huge problems, who cant even speak, never mind sing. That is not entertainment, it's just very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

Whatever about her drug addiction shes makes good music. People are too used to squeeky clean pop acts these days. Back in the day she'd be a lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

No junk no soul....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 somewhatxdazed

kerash wrote: »
    Maybe, 'Amy Winehouse-full of Crack verified' would be a better title:(
    I think it's sad, and of course she's not the first to waste her talent at the hands of drug addiction. As a fan (of her music) I would love to see her perform live, at her best, in her full health, however at the moment she is a train-wreak. She will be at a festival I'm going to this year (possibly!), but I'll be well away, even thought I'm a fan, I couldn't stand and watch somebody with such obviously huge problems, who cant even speak, never mind sing. That is not entertainment, it's just very sad.

I agree COMPLETELY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

cautioner wrote: »
    Good grief, she was terrible.
    Wasn't there something about her being quite sick this past week though?

==>There always seems to be a story about her being unwell. I just don't think its a good excuse for giving a sh1t performance.

Comparison: You hire a plumber to fix a leak, he makes a total ba1ls of the job, you complain and he says "yeah, well, thing is I was sick this week". Its hardly an excuse is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I think she sounds like a strangled cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i love amy winehouse and while i realise shes a loser , i think shes effortlessly cool , btw , i dont get pete dohetys fame or appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I think she sounds like a strangled cat.

I always imagined a Pterodactyl would sound like her.

I'm annoyed about how much I have to hear about the c**t, seriously, go and pick up some Zero 7 albums people, it's what she'd sound like if she could sing and had decent production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

She's just not a great live performer, even though she has some fantastic songs and clearly can sing. The drugs and alcohol aren't exactly a big help.

I'd love to see her get over her personal problems and give a fantastic live performance that could blow all her critics away. Sadly, I don't see that happening in the near future :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Lack of talent isn't really an appropriate monarch if you ask me, she certainly has talent, it's just that she's idiotic and nieve.

But I'll tell you something, she definitly ain't no Shaun Ryder!!

Nailz wrote: »
    Lack of talent isn't really an appropriate monarch if you ask me, she certainly has talent, it's just that she's idiotic and nieve.

==>She doesn't write her own stuff, and many artists could still hold it together even if they were off their face, Jimi Hendrix or Bjork for instance- but thats cos they had talent.

==>She doesn't write her own stuff, and many artists could still hold it together even if they were off their face, Jimi Hendrix or Bjork for instance- but thats cos they had talent.

How very small minded... A musician's talent isn't limited to their ability to write songs, Amy Winehouse is a very talented singer, but not a great lyricist. On the flip side we have Bob Dylan, he's probably one of the biggest music icons in the world and one of the best lyricists ever, but he doesn't have the best voice ever, so does that make him any less talented? NO! ... so i'm afraid I have to completely disagree with your notion of what talent is.

btw. Are you a musician?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

comparing singing ability to lyrical ability is a bit like comparing a chick-romance writer to a serous novel writer. Leonard cohen can't sing for **** but he's one of the finest artists known to man, the backstreet boys could sing but they wouldn't know art if it crept up behind them and anally savaged them.

Oh I know, I'm merely saying that its not fair to call someone talentless because they can't write songs but can sing. Bottom Line, being able to sing is a talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

irish_bob wrote: »
    i love amy winehouse and while i realise shes a loser , i think shes effortlessly cool , btw , i dont get pete dohetys fame or appeal

I never got pete dohetys fame or appeal either .It's all being done before .Jim morrison was doing the same gig as these two 40 years ago and turned his 'out of his tree ' stage act into an art form that had the fans turning up in droves to see what he might do next.He leaves wingehouse and dopey looking like carol singers

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: Try again.

Just got out the booklet of "Frank" and Amy wrote/co-wrote 13 of the 15 tracks.
    And I'm fairly certain she wrote/co-wrote most of, if not all of, Back To Black ("Valerie" was not on the original album, only the deluxe edition released afterwards.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Winehouse and Doherty should make babies. :eek:
    Unfortunately tabloids seem to feel sorry for both of them so they will always be in the news. Hence, I stick to more repsectable papers / websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP, I strongly disagree with this thread title. The performance wasn't a shambles because she's not talented, it was a shambles because she's a junkie and an alcoholic and malnourished and very ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

And I'm fairly certain she wrote/co-wrote most of, if not all of, Back To Black ("Valerie" was not on the original album, only the deluxe edition released afterwards.)

She sure as hell didn't write Valerie...that was The Zutons.

Wertz wrote: »
    She sure as hell didn't write Valerie...that was The Zutons.

Yes, I KNOW THAT, Thank You. :rolleyes:
    Which is why I mentioned it as an exception.
    "Valerie" wasn't on the original "Back To Black" album - all the stuff that WAS on the original album was (I'm fairly sure) written or co-writen by Amy herself.

Yes, I KNOW THAT, Thank You. :rolleyes:
    Which is why I mentioned it as an exception.
    "Valerie" wasn't on the original "Back To Black" album - all the stuff that WAS on the original album was (I'm fairly sure) written or co-writen by Amy herself.

==>Did she ever do anything on her own?

Dudess wrote: »
    OP, I strongly disagree with this thread title. The performance wasn't a shambles because she's not talented, it was a shambles because she's a junkie and an alcoholic and malnourished and very ill.

==>I quote the great John Giles when I say:

"You're only as good as your last game"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Back to Black is a good album and she's a cracking singer when she's not off her face. What's the problem here?

Anyone who thinks Hendrix could hold it together any better when he was off his face needs to check the facts, maybe listen to the unedited Isle Of Wight gig for example ;)

Doctor J wrote: »
    Back to Black is a good album and she's a cracking singer when she's not off her face. What's the problem here?

Anyone who thinks Hendrix could hold it together any better when he was off his face needs to check the facts, maybe listen to the unedited Isle Of Wight gig for example ;)

==>I'm sure Hendrix did have his bad moments, but this isn't just one winehouse gig we're talking about here. Both at the Mandela thing and Glasto she was all over the place- 2 massive gigs which any musician would give his right arm to play at. She only had to do the bare minimum at these shows (which is precisely what she did), and she couldn't even get that right.

• Advertisement

Steve_o wrote: »
    How very small minded... A musician's talent isn't limited to their ability to write songs, Amy Winehouse is a very talented singer, but not a great lyricist. On the flip side we have Bob Dylan, he's probably one of the biggest music icons in the world and one of the best lyricists ever, but he doesn't have the best voice ever, so does that make him any less talented? NO! ... so i'm afraid I have to completely disagree with your notion of what talent is.

btw. Are you a musician?

==>Amy Winehouse needs all the help she can get, she can't do anything on her own. Elvis couldn't write music, but he could take someone elses song and completely transform it into his own- and he didn't need much help to do it. Winehouse needs all the help she can get, if she doesn't have the producers and writers to back her up then she can't do anything- you need to have more than just a good voice. Madonna isn't a great singer/dancer and she admits herself she isn't the best looking woman there ever was- but you don't see Madonna getting up on stage off her face and mumbling through her songs, and thats probably her real talent- her professionalism.

I could say I am a musician- but everyone seems to be these days.

Advertisement