Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amy Winehouse-lack of talent verified

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

ZakAttak wrote: »
    ==>I'm sure Hendrix did have his bad moments, but this isn't just one winehouse gig we're talking about here. Both at the Mandela thing and Glasto she was all over the place- 2 massive gigs which any musician would give his right arm to play at. She only had to do the bare minimum at these shows (which is precisely what she did), and she couldn't even get that right.
    Ah, my bad. I thought playing in front of over 100,000 people at the Isle Of Wight was a massive gig and, of course, that was the only gig he did which was a howler. Silly me.

Let me guess, if she ****s up a third gig we burn her at the stake and sell her gizzards to the gypsies?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dudess wrote: »
    OP, I strongly disagree with this thread title. The performance wasn't a shambles because she's not talented, it was a shambles because she's a junkie and an alcoholic and malnourished and very ill.
    Well said Dudess. It's obvious to anybody that when not drugged up to her eyeballs and when in the right frame of mind Miss Winehouse is a talented individual. Anyone who says otherwise needs to stop taking the crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Great stuff lads- so to all you young musicians out there, just listen to what these contributors have to say and you'll be fine- i.e. don't bother writing songs, don't bother learning how to play an instrument, all you have to do is release 1 album and then turn up at a massive gig and promptly make a complete ba1ls of your performance. Just do these simple things and there will be plenty of people on this forum who will think you're a great talent-not just someone who can't handle a drink and can't sing anything other than dickie rock showband songs.

Doctor J wrote: »
    Ah, my bad. I thought playing in front of over 100,000 people at the Isle Of Wight was a massive gig and, of course, that was the only gig he did which was a howler. Silly me.

==>And he did plenty of gigs which were absolutley legendary, how many Winehouse gigs do you hear people talking about on this forum? None.

Let me guess, if she ****s up a third gig we burn her at the stake and sell her gizzards to the gypsies?

==>No, all she needs to do is release a good song.

Great stuff lads- so to all you young musicians out there, just listen to what these contributors have to say and you'll be fine- i.e. don't bother writing songs, don't bother learning how to play an instrument, all you have to do is release 1 album and then turn up at a massive gig and promptly make a complete ba1ls of your performance. Just do these simple things and there will be plenty of people on this forum who will think you're a great talent-not just someone who can't handle a drink and can't sing anything other than dickie rock showband songs.
    What a complete load of claptrap. She does write songs and she can play her own instruments ya big eejit! What are you banging on about.

• Advertisement

You're damn right, man. Musicians shouldn't write songs, they should do drugs and they should only listen to thu METUUUUULLLLLLLLL.

Because you're only a musician when you play music you wrote, right? All those fancy dans playing in orchestras around the world, they're not musicians, they fakes. As for thsoe jazz schmoes and their patron saint Bill Cosby, THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE SONGS THEY JUST MAKE IT UP OMG OMG OMG! I'm with you, man, we should make sure any "musician" who performs a cover of A SONG THEY DIDN'T WRITE gets two weeks in the stocks or maybe we could lock them inside a double bass for a month boom boom take that you fiend. TBH, I think, what we should do, is when a songwriter uses a chord which was used in someone else's song, they should have their acoustic guitar smashed over their head, man. Serious. Those other people, who have songs with the same name, like Jennifer Barnes or whatever her name was, it probably wasn't even her real name, Huey Lewis and the News, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, they should all be put in a pit and have to fight to the death for the right to use the song title and we should burn every copy of the others songs. From now on, you only play music you write or you die, right? Cos you're not a real musician unless you play music you wrote yourself, that's how it is on the streets, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

(AFAIK, Amy has had 2 albums... pre-crack Frank and then back to black...)I'm sure that it is quite obvious to you that no-one is praising Winehouse for balls-ing up her life/career. I'm not quite sure what mission you are on, nor do I care.

This is what I like to call a 'Gotcha'!!! You come in - thinking it may be an intelligent and informed debate only to find out, you've been punked!! Thanks ZakoncrackAttak. :rolleyes:

ZakAttack has left the building because he has just realised he hasn't got much of an idea about what he's arguing about.
    ==>Silly Zak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Of course she has talent, she just sounds **** when strung out.

I'm not quite sure what mission you are on, nor do I care.

==>Then don't bother leaving a comment then.

• Advertisement

You're damn right, man. Musicians shouldn't write songs, they should do drugs and they should only listen to thu METUUUUULLLLLLLLL.

Because you're only a musician when you play music you wrote, right? All those fancy dans playing in orchestras around the world, they're not musicians, they fakes. As for thsoe jazz schmoes and their patron saint Bill Cosby, THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE SONGS THEY JUST MAKE IT UP OMG OMG OMG! I'm with you, man, we should make sure any "musician" who performs a cover of A SONG THEY DIDN'T WRITE gets two weeks in the stocks or maybe we could lock them inside a double bass for a month boom boom take that you fiend. TBH, I think, what we should do, is when a songwriter uses a chord which was used in someone else's song, they should have their acoustic guitar smashed over their head, man. Serious. Those other people, who have songs with the same name, like Jennifer Barnes or whatever her name was, it probably wasn't even her real name, Huey Lewis and the News, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, they should all be put in a pit and have to fight to the death for the right to use the song title and we should burn every copy of the others songs. From now on, you only play music you write or you die, right? Cos you're not a real musician unless you play music you wrote yourself, that's how it is on the streets, man.

==>I didn't see her play any instruments at those gigs, and don't write more than 3/4 lines- I'm not going to bother reading it.

Pighead wrote: »
    ZakAttack has left the building because he has just realised he hasn't got much of an idea about what he's arguing about.
    ==>Silly Zak.

You're the one who thinks she's good. I saw a singing child traveller on Grafton street the other day- he was miles better than her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think she has an excellent voice and a unique delivery. I certainly have no time for flavours of the month or music press hyped acts. Amy Winehouse has managed to garner so much acclaim through her own merits.

As I said, that performance was marred because of how much of a mess she is due to drug addiction - hardly "verification" of a lack of talent.

Dudess wrote: »
    I think she has an excellent voice and a unique delivery. I certainly have no time for flavours of the month or music press hyped acts. Amy Winehouse has managed to garner so much acclaim through her own merits.

As I said, that performance was marred because of how much of a mess she is due to drug addiction - hardly "verification" of a lack of talent.

==>But thats why she's famous, because she's a drug addict in public. She could be the next Edith Piaf, but it wouldn't matter- because what really makes her famous is the fact that she gets off her face in public. Theres plenty of people doing the same thing, but they keep it private. She purposefully does it in front of everyone because she knows she wouldnt be popular otherwise.

You're the one who thinks she's good. I saw a singing child traveller on Grafton street the other day- he was miles better than her.
    Listen Zak your argument has been blown out of the water. You said she didn't write any of her own songs, which is blatantly wrong.
    http://repertoire.bmi.com/writer.asp?page=1&blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&fromrow=1&torow=25&affiliation=PRS&cae=461733556&keyID=835476&keyname=WINEHOUSE%20AMY%20JADE&querytype=WriterID

You also claim she doesn't play any of her instruments, reason being "I didn't see her play any instruments at those gigs". Check out youtube and you'll find plenty of videos with her playing guitar.

So basically your reasons for claiming she has no talent:
    have all been disproved. Fair enough if you don't like her thats fine but to say she has no talent because she can't play her instruments or can't write songs is blatantly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Amy Winehouse, a life wasted. She could be so much better. It's a shame.

Pighead wrote: »
    Listen Zak your argument has been blown out of the water. You said she didn't write any of her own songs, which is blatantly wrong.
    http://repertoire.bmi.com/writer.asp?page=1&blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&fromrow=1&torow=25&affiliation=PRS&cae=461733556&keyID=835476&keyname=WINEHOUSE%20AMY%20JADE&querytype=WriterID

You also claim she doesn't play any of her instruments, reason being "I didn't see her play any instruments at those gigs". Check out youtube and you'll find plenty of videos with her playing guitar.

So basically your reasons for claiming she has no talent:

have all been disproved. Fair enough if you don't like her thats fine but to say she has no talent because she can't play her instruments or can't write songs is blatantly wrong.

==>She didn't write any popular songs- you can write songs all you want, doesn't mean you're talented, they could easily all be sh1te.

You tube videos of her playing a guitar- thats what you've sunk to.

==>But thats why she's famous, because she's a drug addict in public. She could be the next Edith Piaf, but it wouldn't matter- because what really makes her famous is the fact that she gets off her face in public. Theres plenty of people doing the same thing, but they keep it private. She purposefully does it in front of everyone because she knows she wouldnt be popular otherwise.
    Are you talking about fame or acclaim? And yes she's famous because of her drug addiction but that does not make her lacking in talent. Blame the gutter press for that. She was acclaimed long before two years ago or whenever it was that her profile blew up. Wasn't she nominated for the Mercury Prize in 03/04 direction?
    And Rehab was a huge seller yet released several months before her drug problems came to light.

==>She didn't write any popular songs- you can write songs all you want, doesn't mean you're talented, they could easily all be sh1te.

You tube videos of her playing a guitar- thats what you've sunk to.
    WTF? She didn't write any popular songs? Love is a losing game, Rehab, You know I'm no good were all popular songs! Are you sure you know who Amy Winehouse actually is?

Oh and as for this
    The above all applies to Billie Holiday and Mr Johnny Cash. Loads of terrible gigs whilst offf their heads. Holiday especially had a very public affair with her drug habit. Lucky for her there wasn't the ridiculous levels of tabloid gutter journalism about at the time.

How many hits have you written, out of curiosity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I think she sounds like a strangled cat.

Sounds and looks like one, horrid woman. put her in the same category (socially) as britney and kerry katona. She has no respect for peole who buy her records, did you see her on one of the music channels recently where she was asked what she would like to say to the fans who were worried about her, by a reporter who interupted her at a dinner table thingy?? She more or less told them where to go in two words. I'm not a fan, but if i was, i wouldnt buy anything linked to the witch!

Ghost Girl wrote: »
    a reporter who interupted her at a dinner table thingy?? She more or less told them where to go in two words.

If someone interrupted me at dinner and asked me an inept question like that I'd tell them to **** off too.

I don't see how that is unreasonable :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

If someone interrupted me at dinner and asked me an inept question like that I'd tell them to **** off too.

I don't see how that is unreasonable :confused:

sorry maybe i wasn't clear - media were asking questions to her at some dinner function, and one reporter interrupted her to ask her about the week she had with her husband going to jail, and what she would like to say to fans who were worried about her....she told the fans to f**k off, not the reporter, and continued answering other questions...shes an ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Congratulations ZakAttack. You have put forward the most pathetic excuse for an argument I have EVER seen on Boards.

Here are the facts (although you may not read them, since they're longer than 3 lines)

*Amy Winehouse writes/co-writes the vast majority of her own songs. The lyrics of "Rehab", perhaps her most famous song, were written entirely by Winehouse herself.
    Some of the greatest singers of all time (Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Aretha Franklin) didn't write most of their own music. Songwriting ability and singing ability are not one and the same.

*She was critically acclaimed a long time before her drug problems came to light. BothFrank and Back To Black were nominated for the Mercury Music Prize. Frank was released about 3 YEARS BEFORE AMY'S DRUG PROBLEMS CAME TO LIGHT.

*You say she does not play her own instruments - Pioghead has disproved this, there are videos of her playing guitar on YouTube.
    And even if she didn't, that is no relevance to her lyrical or vocal ability.

So in summary:

lolz-you-fail.jpg

Ghost Girl wrote: »
    sorry maybe i wasn't clear - media were asking questions to her at some dinner function, and one reporter interrupted her to ask her about the week she had with her husband going to jail, and what she would like to say to fans who were worried about her....she told the fans to f**k off, not the reporter, and continued answering other questions...shes an ass.
    Ahhh that's nothing, it's still a stupid question that deserved a snotty answer - "What kind of week have you had with your husband going to jail?" - I'd guess a pretty bad week and I'm sure she was delighted having it raked up again for some ****ty soundbite by some journo prat pretending they give a ****. What you don't see is that it was probably the 1000th time she'd been asked about it that week by one gob****e after another, you can only answer the same question so many times.

Good enough for 'em, I say.

Congratulations ZakAttack. You have put forward the most pathetic excuse for an argument I have EVER seen on Boards.

Here are the facts (although you may not read them, since they're longer than 3 lines)

==>You're right, I wont.

LOL

Theres lots of great female singers out there, some of them are famous even though they don't publicly display their addictions and vices. Don't talk about 'co-writing', even Madonna does that. Why bother listening to her when theres better talent out there?

You're taking her acclaim and other posters' views here that she's good, very personally.

Plus you keep changing your argument. It's swung from "she's not talented" to "she's only famous because of her drug addiction" to "there are other female artists who are as good and better".

She's very good, people like her, she was acclaimed before her drug problems came to light - get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Don't talk about 'co-writing', even Madonna does that.
    Oh wonderful point there. Madonna clearly has no talent, which is why she's one of the most successful and critically acclaimed female artists of all time.
    ZakAttack wrote:
    Why bother listening to her when theres better talent out there?
    Another fantastic display of logic here. Let's apply it another scenario

I like bread, but I prefer chocolate.
    So according to ZakAttack I shouldn't bother eating bread when there's better stuff (i.e.chocolate) out there.

Advertisement