Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amy Winehouse-lack of talent verified

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Check this link out of Amy performing and try telling me that she's not singing up to the standards of her whilst in the studio.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQtE2RrDAF8[/quote]

==>Not a chance, I've got a limited amount of time within which I can listen to music- I'm not going to waste a minute of it listening to that sh1te.

Besides, she got her chance to show her alleged talent (Live broadcasts from Glasto and the Mandela concert), me and many others (as in viewers, I wasn't having a party for it or anything)tuned in to see what the fuss was about- and even some fans here have agreed with me on this- she was brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yes she was brutal - because she's a junkie. If she wasn't a junkie, she would have been good because she has a great voice and delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

ZakAttak wrote: »
    ==>No I'm basing it on the Mandela concert as well.

Good to see you've done your research thoroughly, that explains a hell of a lot :D

Dudess wrote: »
    Yes she was brutal - because she's a junkie. If she wasn't a junkie, she would have been good because she has a great voice and delivery.

==>But theres lots of people who can still sing when they're off their face.

Ah is that it? It's not the singing, we all know she can sing. It's not the songwriting, she writes her own material. It's that she can't sing when she's wasted.

HUZZAH! We now have the true benchmark of what talent really is, it is the ability to sing, in tune, while twisted. What you do in the studio, the songs you write, how many people like your music, that isn't it. It's how well you sing while wasted. Ahhh we were so far off the mark, no wonder the goalpost kept changing. Excellent. Consider this thread closed. Put this puppy to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

With the lung problems she has had i'm sure she finds it difficult talking let alone singing. I have no idea why she would leave hospital to go and sing at those show. She had talent but thanks to drugs and TB her voice is crap... if she ever cleans herself up and gets healthy then maybe that talent will return .. i hope it does.

Doctor J wrote: »
    Ah is that it? It's not the singing, we all know she can sing. It's not the songwriting, she writes her own material. It's that she can't sing when she's wasted.

==>Lots of other people can, so why can't she?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

See my previous post. She can sing but just very badly because of her poor health

Ah this is just getting ridiculous. Firstly, whom? Secondly, it's more to do with the fact that her voice is ****ed from smoking all that ****, rather than her being off her face.

Are you really suggesting you believe that someone isn't talented unless they can sing while blotto, that the ability to take a drink is the arbiter of musical ability? Is that your criteria for musical talent?

Yes, yes, yes :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Ahhh that's nothing, it's still a stupid question that deserved a snotty answer - "What kind of week have you had with your husband going to jail?" - I'd guess a pretty bad week and I'm sure she was delighted having it raked up again for some ****ty soundbite by some journo prat pretending they give a ****. What you don't see is that it was probably the 1000th time she'd been asked about it that week by one gob****e after another, you can only answer the same question so many times.

Good enough for 'em, I say.

The question was ...what would you like to say to your fans who are worried about you!!!!, (not what u've written above!!) so my problem with her is she gave the fingers to the fans by doing what she did. And in some ways i agree with what you said, because some times these artists are bored senseless of the same questions, and the intrusion into privacy by journos etc, but im talking bout her response to the fans - even if it was a pathetic question by a reporter who wanted a new sound bite - and he got one because of what she did!!!

The bit i laugh most at is these people, amy, kerry katona (no where in same league i admit) and britney etc....complain and moan about the media camping out side their door, and stalking them, shoving mics and cameras in their faces etc...the fact is they bring it on, and the publicity they get is what is making them the money. Im not an amy fan, but i do believe she has talent, look at kerry katona aaaaagh, and her hubby mark whinging about the media camped outside the door, where is his wage and kerrys wage coming from ?? sponsorship deals because they're always in the papers, and why are they always in the papers??? because of the people camped outside the door!!!!! Sorry im going off the point a bit, but blaming the journos or photographers in alot of cases is unjustified!. RANT OVER!

Watch less TV. Seriously. Listen to music, the rest of it is bull****. All that matters is the tunes. The ****e that TV companies pump out in order to keep you tuned in through the ads, that's bull****. Your life will be much better off without it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Watch less TV. Seriously. Listen to music, the rest of it is bull****. All that matters is the tunes. The ****e that TV companies pump out in order to keep you tuned in through the ads, that's bull****. Your life will be much better off without it. :)

You know what i agree thoroughly with you there - im not a huge fan of amy's music, but it doesn't turn me off, i don't like the way she carries on, but if i did adore her music, the way she carries on would not take from any talent she has when it comes to the tunes!! If i was a mad fan i'd be angry as a fan looking at her response to the fans that nite on tv, but id still appreciate her music and talent,...so yeh agree with the above Doctor J!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

amy winehouse??

more like amy crime-house!

AM I RIGHT??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

conanm wrote: »
    amy winehouse??

AM I RIGHT??

Nice. Very nice.

But how about... Amy Crime-SPOUSE!

Hah?!? Guys? Yeah... You know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

conanm wrote: »
    amy winehouse??

AM I RIGHT??

are you tommy tiernan , actually i know your not him , he isnt that funny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

This misplaced veneration is really quite annoying.

She's not special in any way. Let's let her die without canonising her please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Yeah I have to say she is pretty abysmal alright. It shows that it is not talent that you need to succeed but a hell of a lot of media exposure which has nothing to do with music. Her rise to the top. :(

I really don't get these "lack of talent" comments. She is talented. She was nominated for the Mercury prize and won an Ivor Novello award and garnered much critical claim - all long before regularly popping up in the tabloid media.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Dudess wrote: »
    I really don't get these "lack of talent" comments. She is talented. She was nominated for the Mercury prize and won an Ivor Novello award and garnered much critical claim - all long before regularly popping up in the tabloid media.

Don't forget selling millions of albums. Cos record sales and awards = talent.

Spice Girls Boyzone for example have tonnes of both.

And lyrically - 'they try to make me go to rehab but i say no no no' Genius.

to be honest i lost all respect i had for her after seeing her on never mind the buzzcocks.

Oh and both of those award were last year, not
    long before anything.

• Advertisement

I'm not dumb enough to suggest that selling lots of records = talent.

The nominees for those awards are not going to have the likes of Westlife among them. Some people like her, some people don't, as is the case with everything, but to suggest she's talentless is bollocks. Geri Halliwell is talentless. For a long time I didn't like REM but I never thought they were talentless.

So what if those are the lyrics to the chorus of Rehab? There are plenty of other lyrics in that song too.

And again, bollocks to the assertion that the critical acclaim is as a result of her being all over the tabloids. She released her debut album in 2003 which was nominated for the following year's Mercury Prize, so as I said, long before her much publicised drug problems. And she has won the Ivor Novello award since, but she won it for the first time... in 2004. The acclaim she gets is not from quarters occupied by people who'd be checking out her latest exploits in The Sun or Heat magazine. Neither are those kinds of people behind the Mercury Prize and Ivor Novello awards.

Rehab was a massive seller - "oh because of her drug use and all the attention it gets". Actually no. Rehab was released in late 2006, then people paid attention to who this woman was, then her drug problems came to light. The media frenzy started last year, when she was an established singer for four years.

I'm not even a huge fan of hers but the amount of horsesh1t on this thread is just silly. She's an uber-skank but that does not mean she isn't talented and it does not mean that her talent shouldn't be acknowledged. I think people's problems with her stem from the fact that she's such a knacker. She is, but meh, she's made some cracking records - that is really all that matters.

I really don't think she'd get half as much sh1t if she was male... And before anyone mentions Pete Doherty - well he isn't talented. How about Shane McGowan...? Or Shaun Ryder. Or Keith Richards.... etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

lordgoat wrote: »
    "I Wrote For Luck, they sent you!
    I sent for juice, you gave me poison!!
    I hold the line, you formed a queue!!!
    I try anything hard, is there anything else you can do?!?!" Genius!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Everybody has a talent. I don't see how singing like a 50 year old who has smoked 40 a day makes her worth acknowledging.

I wouldn't bother comparing her to Shaun or Keef. She simply isn't anywhere near the same league.

Kold wrote: »
    Everybody has a talent. I don't see how singing like a 50 year old who has smoked 40 a day makes her worth acknowledging.

I wouldn't bother comparing her to Shaun or Keef. She simply isn't anywhere near the same league.
    I you meant what I think you meant by "Shaun", I love ya!! :D;)

It's cuz I mentioned him above...

Ah very good Dudess, I love ya too! But Shaun in all fairness is way out of her league!! Listening to the Collectors Edition of Bummed now, was never able to get any of those remixes before or the Madchester Rave On EP on disc before, what a treat! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I've never heard any of her tunes but from what I've seen of her in the media she won't be missed when she dies soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

lordgoat wrote: »
    Don't forget selling millions of albums. Cos record sales and awards = talent.

Spice Girls Boyzone for example have tonnes of both.

to be honest i lost all respect i had for her after seeing her on never mind the buzzcocks.

Oh and both of those award were last year, not
    long before anything.

Ah jesus christ, don't use a chorus out of her most poppy song as an example to state that she is a bad lyricist, some of her lyrics are amazing and she is a great singer, like being that out of your head on gack and still being able to write and sings brilliantly well then......... goes without saying.... shes great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

MooseJam wrote: »
    I've never heard any of her tunes but from what I've seen of her in the media she won't be missed when she dies soon.

All i can say to that is god forgive ya for being so ignorant and generally just coming across to myself and any others that stop by, as a HORRIBLE person, just like the way you're describing amy winehouse.

and no i wouldn't be a big fan of hers or nothing but i do like her music, and i think she is very talented...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

there is no doubt that she is talented but very immature with a possible tragic future.

Advertisement