Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amy Winehouse-lack of talent verified

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

That's spot on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Kold wrote: »
    This misplaced veneration is really quite annoying.

She's not special in any way. Let's let her die without canonising her please?

Who the **** is canonising her? What a ridiculous thing to say.
    I find her behaviour repulsive - the drugs, the booze, the violence. No-one here is defending that.
    I think she is very talented, has a great voice and she writes good music. Hardly canonising now is it?
    DenMan wrote:
    Yeah I have to say she is pretty abysmal alright. It shows that it is not talent that you need to succeed but a hell of a lot of media exposure which has nothing to do with music. Her rise to the top. :(
    :rolleyes: Did you think at all before tying that absolute bull****?
    Frank was nominated for The Mercury Music Prize in 2004 (I think) - long before her media exposure began.
    She has won an Ivor Novello award and 5 Grammies - those awards weren't for drug-taking, they were for the quality of her music.
    lordgoat wrote:
    And lyrically - 'they try to make me go to rehab but i say no no no' Genius.
    There is nothing wrong with that lyric as far as I can see.
    Here's some more lyrics from Rehab:

"I don't ever wanna drink again.
    I just, oh I just need a friend.
    I'm not gonna spend 10 weeks
    Have everyone think I'm on the mend

It's not just my pride
    It's just 'til these tears have dried."

Now you might disagree, but I think that's very good songwriting.
    lordgoat wrote:
    to be honest i lost all respect i had for her after seeing her on never mind the buzzcocks.
    Hmm I saw that episode and she was a pure mess. It was still kinda funny though :)
    As a person she's a bit of a twat. Which is why I try to focus on her music and not her personality.
    lordgoat wrote:
    Oh and both of those award were last year, not
    long before anything.
    Still, you don't get nominated for an Ivor Novello if you're not good.
    MooseJam wrote:
    I've never heard any of her tunes but from what I've seen of her in the media she won't be missed when she dies soon.
    Are you trolling or are you just ignorant?
    blinding wrote:
    there is no doubt that she is talented but very immature with a possible tragic future.
    Yep, that about sums it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ZakAttak wrote: »
    Comparison: You hire a plumber to fix a leak, he makes a total ba1ls of the job, you complain and he says "yeah, well, thing is I was sick this week". Its hardly an excuse is it?
    Not a very good comparison - a better one would be the plumber making a balls of the job due to being a crack/heroin addict.

many artists could still hold it together even if they were off their face, Jimi Hendrix or Bjork for instance
    I don't think Bjork's ever been into drugs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 guitarsongs

Luke G wrote: »
    All i can say to that is god forgive ya for being so ignorant and generally just coming across to myself and any others that stop by, as a HORRIBLE person, just like the way you're describing amy winehouse.

and no i wouldn't be a big fan of hers or nothing but i do like her music, and i think she is very talented...

Yeah, I'd like to second that emotion. I would have expected a more balanced view from anyone who cares enough about music to post on here. If you don't get the blues, you don't get the blues, fine. But she's the first REAL female blues singer since Joplin, and the best since Holiday. The fact that these ladies also had drug and other demons to fight never dimmed their brilliance.

They were lucky enough not to have to worry too much about Sun readers, I s'pose.

There are a bunch of musicians I don't particularly care for ( some mentioned in glowing terms above ), but I wouldn't be 'skanky' enough to wish 'em dead.

My 0.02.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Anyone see Amy $hithouse at Glasto and/or the Mandela concert?They were both shown on BBC, live! hilarious, she was terrible- she was out of key,couldn't stand up properly and her backing singers ended up sounding alot better than her.

Worse part is this, she'll make the excuse that she was really high- and her fans will think,"oh that Amy Winehouse, she's so cooool!"

Surely those performances will be the death of her career?

her career wont die, they have drugs to keep you alive and enough money to pay off any music station/radio station so yeah... its a Rat Trap.... and Shes been caught :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Can never get away from the feeling that the antipathy towards the like of Amy Winehouse is just thinly-veiled misogyny.

She has got talent but she's just self-destructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

conanm wrote: »
    amy winehouse??

more like amy crime-house!

AM I RIGHT??

Gold :confused::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

There is nothing wrong with that lyric as far as I can see.
    Here's some more lyrics from Rehab:

"I don't ever wanna drink again.
    I just, oh I just need a friend.
    I'm not gonna spend 10 weeks
    Have everyone think I'm on the mend

It's not just my pride
    It's just 'til these tears have dried."

Now you might disagree, but I think that's very good songwriting.

I seriously disagree, primary school rhymes.

Broring pedantic and generic somgwriter who without her drug publicity would probably have faded into obscurity long before now.

lordgoat wrote: »

Broring pedantic and generic somgwriter who without her drug publicity would probably have faded into obscurity long before now.

"Primary school rhymes"? Just because it's uncomplicated and it rhymes doesn't make it "primary school". She's writing from personal experience.

And I do not believe for one second that she would have faded into obsurity if she was clean - you don't sell over 5 million copies of your album just because you've been photographed smoking crack.

• Advertisement

"Primary school rhymes"? Just because it's uncomplicated and it rhymes doesn't make it "primary school". She's writing from personal experience.

And I do not believe for one second that she would have faded into obsurity if she was clean - you don't sell over 5 million copies of your album just because you've been photographed smoking crack.

Fine have at it, stick to amy, it'll prob suit you better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

tech77 wrote: »
    Can never get away from the feeling that the antipathy towards the like of Amy Winehouse is just thinly-veiled misogyny.

She has got talent but she's just self-destructive.

yawn

Fine have at it, stick to amy, it'll prob suit you better.

What exactly do you mean by that, "it'll prob suit me better"?

How come, as I said in an earlier thread, she was nominated for the Mercury Prize and won Ivor Novello awards well before her drug problems were documented? You and the other detractors who keep whinging about all the publicity she gets just insist on ignoring that fact...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

awards are meaningless ,just in house ass kissing

The Brit Awards maybe, the Mercury and Ivor Novello awards are that bit more discerning...

irish_bob wrote: »
    yawn
    What's so yawn-worthy about it? Does Shane McGowan, a man who is pretty much decomposing before our eyes, get attacked like this? And obviously he can't sing (I know he can write but it's being argued on this thread that if you're talented in one respect and untalented in the other, then you're simply untalented... if you're Amy Winehouse).

comparing singing ability to lyrical ability is a bit like comparing a chick-romance writer to a serous novel writer. Leonard cohen can't sing for **** but he's one of the finest artists known to man, the backstreet boys could sing but they wouldn't know art if it crept up behind them and anally savaged them.

Leonard Cohen sings the way God would...if God could sing.

"Rita May, Rita May
    You got your body in the way
    You're so damn nonchalant
    It's your mind that I want
    I'm gonna have to go to college
    'Cos you are a book of knowledge
    Rita May"

Written by the worlds greatest ever wordsmith. Proves nothing. 'Rehab' at first listen almost put me off checking out her albums - luckily there was enough in the 'smoky blues' vocals to make me wanna hear more.

Go pick out a dozen of your favourite songs and write down the lyrics, see how boring and pedantic they sound when not being sung by an artist you admire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 waterdrop

She's just not a great live performer, even though she has some fantastic songs and clearly can sing. The drugs and alcohol aren't exactly a big help.

I'd love to see her get over her personal problems and give a fantastic live performance that could blow all her critics away. Sadly, I don't see that happening in the near future :(

I agree. She's sick . What can you expect from her at this time?
    Look at all the musicians making the songs in the studio and not performing much live. Amy deserves a bit of respect and the support for the courage she has to perform in the state she is.

She will take a break soon. Let's hope she has the right people around to help her recover and guide her on the good way.

Her private life is not our job. She probably had a good reason for performing in London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

waterdrop wrote: »
    Look at all the musicians making the songs in the studio and not performing much live. Amy deserves a bit of respect and the support for the courage she has to perform in the state she is.

Most ridiculous statement yet. She deserves respect for letting fans down?

Most ridiculous statement yet. She deserves respect for letting fans down?

Read everything before you post.

Like many, rush into conclusions without knowing what's going on for real....

We like the music, you also make mistakes, who are we to judge?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I did read it all and it's still a ridiculous statement. If she's unfit to perform then she shouldn't perform. Then again, if you're dumb enough to buy a ticket to one of her gigs at the moment, whatever.

I did read it all and it's still a ridiculous statement. If she's unfit to perform then she shouldn't perform. Then again, if you're dumb enough to buy a ticket to one of her gigs at the moment, whatever.

Some songs were well performed. Unfortunately, not all.

Let's hope she'll stay away from the stage because this is definitely ruining her career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

Dudess wrote: »
    Rehab was released in late 2006, then people paid attention to who this woman was, then her drug problems came to light.

Does nobody else spot the glaring contradiction in this? And actually from what I remember of her around the release of her first album, she was best known for mouthing off about other singers.

She's a mediocre singer, but if people enjoy her music, that's their prerogative. Though I have to admit I sniggered when I read the post comparing her to Joplin or Holiday.

Dudess wrote: »
    How come, as I said in an earlier thread, she was nominated for the Mercury Prize and won Ivor Novello awards well before her drug problems were documented? You and the other detractors who keep whinging about all the publicity she gets just insist on ignoring that fact...

Eh i didn't whinge abour her publicity, i think she's a mediocre songwriter. I couldn't give a sh it if she was good at it and was on the news 24-7.

I hate awards in general and i just looked up Ivor Novello, apparently Mika won songwriter of the year from them. There you go. And as for the mercurys(ies?), only a slight step down from a meteor award.

Lyrically i think she is boring, oh she's writing about real life experiences so ****ing what, it sounds like an essay on 'my summer holidays' by a 5 year old.

There i believe i have addressed your facts.

As i have said if she wasn't in the news all the time i don't think she would be the well known celebrity she is. And Publicity(bad or good) does equate to album sales.

She's a mediocre singer, but if people enjoy her music, that's their prerogative. Though I have to admit I sniggered when I read the post comparing her to Joplin or Holiday.

Someopne comoared her to Janis Jopling and Billie?

Do they even know who they are?

Does nobody else spot the glaring contradiction in this?
    That song was about her alcoholism, not her drug addiction, which it appears didn't take hold until the following year.

There i believe i have addressed your facts
    LOL - the way people are taking things personally on this thread is hilarious.
    Anyhoo, I was only directing one of those remarks at you in response to your post earlier:
    Oh and both of those award were last year, not
    long before anything.
    Wrong - 2004. "Fact". Cheers.

• Advertisement

"Rita May, Rita May
    You got your body in the way
    You're so damn nonchalant
    It's your mind that I want
    I'm gonna have to go to college
    'Cos you are a book of knowledge
    Rita May"

Go pick out a dozen of your favourite songs and write down the lyrics, see how boring and pedantic they sound when not being sung by an artist you admire.

Dylan ? the great folk thief? Pfff (This is an argument for another thread)

Most of my favourite artists are lyrically impeccable, i do like some crap too but who doesn't, my main problem with AW is the virtual pants creaming over her hard hitting and 'real' lyrics.

Advertisement