Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

introducing driving as a module?? ANY chance?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭emmanuels-baby

shazbot...why don't we just come clean about this whole thing? you obviously fancy me! totally understandable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

and shazbot...."How is it mean or childish? You would be getting something for free as apposed to other students who took lessons for €35 a pop." i think it's mean because you said something like "why should you get it for free when I have to pay?" which just seems mean and petty to me! (no offense) so one point of your argument is basically your resentment that others may get something for free when you have to pay? that's why i found it mean. anyway, people also pay for german lessons and loads of things we have as elective options, so this wouldn't be different? also, i look at it as an extra step the government could take to ensure safety on the roads, you can't deny that this would contribute to that aim?? people who can afford driving lessons-grand-take them! but what about folk who can't? what will they do? what about people down the country who have to drive? what will they all do? not drive? as if! they'd probably drive anyway!

But they are paying for not only their driving lessons, but also the students who get this. It will become the most expensive module and why should their fee's go towards your driving lessons?
    people who can afford driving lessons-grand-take them! but what about folk who can't?
    I want to grab you and shake you
    What makes you think that people who can't afford to pay €350 for 10 driving lessons but can afford a car, tax and insurance? Maywe we could add to the stuent lap top scheme, the "pay for someone else's car scheme"

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

"us" "me"...same difference..your gripe is that you may have to pay while some don't.meanie!
    The last time I checked 'us' and 'me' mean two different things. perhaps you could enlighten me to your understandings of the two words.

but that's the point of electives?? none of the electives fit into your degree(really) so what difference does it make?

Again, your missing the point. The fact is that al modules fit into some sort of degree. An elective is just choosing a module from outside your normal school. A driving module wouldn't even fit into any degree as a core or optional module. Therefore it would make no sense to have it. Please read and re-read this statement before say "well al electives are useless" again.

now you're just taking the piss aren't you? clearly you don't live in the country! they don't have luas or buses! not to mention transport in the night (not where my good auld gran lives anyway) now, unless they fancy bailing onto a bike and cycling >30mins to the nearest shop which is fine for some, but still a mega-inconvenience!
    No i don't live in the country but last time i check ed bicycles are readily available in all parts of the country.
    and you don't have to tell me about cycling, i cycle all over the place-but when it's raining, it's a pain in the arse! and sometimes i'm just too tired etc
    Fair play, I know the feeling, I also cycled everywhere untill I got my full lisence. Doesn't mean you have to stop when you get a provisional, when it's raining or too tired. You're still breaking the law, I don't think "It was raining and I was tired" would convince a garda.
    shazbot...why don't we just come clean about this whole thing? you obviously fancy me! totally understandable!

Damm, you figured it out.

Shazbot wrote: »

Again, your missing the point. .
    "your" in this case is "you're"

No i don't live in the country but last time i check ed bicycles are readily available in all parts of the country.

ah now, tell that to maureen!! (80 years old and still on a provisional) she can't hop on a bike.. although i realize this fantastic idea wouldn't be of benefit to her! she's some woman though!!

Damm, you figured it out.

as i said...totally understandable!!!...and "damm" is "damn";)

me and you will go far together shazbot! with your full license and my good looks, we're a match made in heaven!!!!!

gubbie wrote: »
    But they are paying for not only their driving lessons, but also the students who get this. It will become the most expensive module and why should their fee's go towards your driving lessons?

I want to grab you and shake you
    What makes you think that people who can't afford to pay €350 for 10 driving lessons but can afford a car, tax and insurance? Maywe we could add to the stuent lap top scheme, the "pay for someone else's car scheme"

gubbie, i see your point...as i said in my first post..(if ya fancy looking) was that here was a "slim" chance of this being implemented..i was just wondering what the logistics of it would be and whatnot! I still wish it could be possible though!! as i've seen some WACKY options on the list!

also i think the ECDL and lifeguard suggestions were quite good, savage in fact! i'm gonna try and take these to the top guys! watch this space!:D

shazbot...i think i've fallen for you and your wacky spelling! you're a cool customer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

"your" in this case is "you're"

Again with the spelling, give it a rest please. After all your punctuation and sentance structure is shocking.

ah now, tell that to maureen!! (80 years old and still on a provisional) she can't hop on a bike.. although i realize this fantastic idea wouldn't be of benefit to her! she's some woman though!!

Well i always said there should be a cut off age. Old drivers are notoriously dangerous.

as i said...totally understandable!!!...and "damm" is "damn";)

me and you will go far together shazbot! with your full license and my good looks, we're a match made in heaven!!!!!
    Hehe, yea. Going to go straight to the top (of what? it doesn't matter)

Again with the spelling, give it a rest please. After all your punctuation and sentance structure is shocking.
    "sentence"...(sorry)

Well i always said there should be a cut off age. Old drivers are notoriously dangerous.

take that back! maureen would lamp you on the roads! she's a feckin legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

In before the lock! Actually are our mods away? This thread is feckin hilarious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Well, nobody's broken the charter yet, it's all just gone a bit nuts.

Yes, at least one of our mods is away. That just means we're being watched all the time though. Mods in different time zones. The mods as a whole no longer sleep. It's part of a devious plan to turn boards from a playground for this sort of madness into a police state.

Ok, now I think I may have broken the charter there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Don't worry, I'm here. And you're right, it is hilarious. Hence it still being here - it hurts no one, and it amuses many.

• Advertisement

emmanuels-baby is such a legend! i've fallen in love with her wiley ways...and i TOTALLY agree with everything she's said!

what a sexbomb!

take it handy shazbot! i am flattered though! but i'm spoken for!

Sean_K wrote: »
    UCD is a university.

and "a" is a letter in the alphabet!:P

sorry, your comment was just too cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

I'll wager Hugh Brady is somehow secretly behind this dastardly, ridiculous scheme...

I'll wager Hugh Brady is somehow secretly behind this dastardly, ridiculous scheme...

yes...i am hugh brady
    except, i'm actually not..

also, i know this is off topic, but can anybody explain why we say "a university" and not "an university"
    obviously enunciation is a problem with the latter, but is there a term for that situation? it's been melting my brain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Well, it's like saying "an hour". "An University" just doesn't sound right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I refuse to say an historic. Unless you have an accent where it's an 'istoric it just doesn't work. Loosen the rules for the benefit of speech I say.

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Well, it's like saying "an hour". "An University" just doesn't sound right.

yeah, i get that it doesn't sound right

was just wondering if there's a grammatic term for that case? there must be! otherwise some rogue trend has been in the english language forever without anyone addressing it!:eek: sneaky b******d!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

There is no 'term' for it.

University is pronounced Yew-ni-ver-si-ty and so it has a consonant beginning and therefore takes 'a University'. It's just a deviation from the general rule.

Advertisement