Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Question

Options
  • 01-07-2008 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

I've got a provisional licence and with the new law coming in today, I wont be driving my car until I pass my test. I've applied for it and I'm getting a letter sent in so I'm hoping to have the test before the end of the month.

Since I will not be driving my car, I'm not going to pay tax (which is up today)until I start driving it again. My insurance is due on July 10th but I'm wondering what is the most sensible thing for me to about it.
    • Should I try and "pause" my insurance payments until I start driving again?
    • Should I continue to pay insurance as usual (230 Euro per month!) as it will add up to the same at the end and avoid hassle?

I only have 3 or 4 monthly payments left - should I try and "pause" them anyway in case (God forbid) I don't pass my test and I won't be driving for even longer?

Any advice appreciated.

PS. I will not be doing my driving test in my car. Also, I'm insured with Quinn if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I would say the best thing to do is to speak with your insurer.

You will not be the only person in this situation at the moment, so they should have a good idea of the best course of action.

You can AFAIK cancel your policy, but in addition to the €50 admin fee, you will possibly lose any no claims bonus you have built up this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

I would say the best thing to do is to speak with your insurer.

You will not be the only person in this situation at the moment, so they should have a good idea of the best course of action.

You can AFAIK cancel your policy, but in addition to the €50 admin fee, you will possibly lose any no claims bonus you have built up this year

That is what I was thinking. It would not be worth it if you lose the NCB, I would rather just keep paying every month, even if I was not driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tdc wrote: »
    I've got a provisional licence and with the new law coming in today, I wont be driving my car until I pass my test. I've applied for it and I'm getting a letter sent in so I'm hoping to have the test before the end of the month.

Since I will not be driving my car, I'm not going to pay tax (which is up today)until I start driving it again. My insurance is due on July 10th but I'm wondering what is the most sensible thing for me to about it.
    • Should I try and "pause" my insurance payments until I start driving again?
    • Should I continue to pay insurance as usual (230 Euro per month!) as it will add up to the same at the end and avoid hassle?

I only have 3 or 4 monthly payments left - should I try and "pause" them anyway in case (God forbid) I don't pass my test and I won't be driving for even longer?

Any advice appreciated.

PS. I will not be doing my driving test in my car. Also, I'm insured with Quinn if that makes a difference.

So are you gonna declare your car as off the road for tax? And can you insure a car that is declared off the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

listermint wrote: »
    So are you gonna declare your car as off the road for tax? And can you insure a car that is declared off the road?

I would say so, as you don't need to show proof of road tax when getting a policy. Also, a lot of people will want to insure their summer cars for fire and theft, even if they're not being driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I see. Question answered so:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

What happens if your car is stolen or set on fire or scratched or something else when it is not insured! Then you won't be able to claim, I'd say keep the insurance policy going for fire and theft cover.

Advertisement