Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardio/Weight Training Balance

Options
  • 01-07-2008 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've some questions about getting an even balance between cardio training and weight training. At the moment I'm doing one hour of fairly intensive cardio three to four times a week but no weight training. From what I've read here it seems there is a consensus that this isn't the best idea (the no weight training part). My goal is primarily weight loss and fitness. My diet is fine but and i've seen some small results in the last few weeks, but with no resistance training can i expect these results to taper off as my body gets used to the routine?

I'm hoping that maybe a half hour resistance training per hour of cardio would be enough, as time is fairly tight at the moment. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

gnolan,

Chances are, and please don't take this as a knock, that if you're doing cardio for an hour, it's not "intense". You're probably stayiing well within your aerobic threshold.

Second thought, your body adapts to aerobic/endurance type activities quite quickly, and gets well used to them. Are you doing the same routine every day? Are you measuring your results/times?

I'd definitely advise adding weight training into your program. Focus on the big lifts like squats, deadlifts, press, bench and supplement with push ups, pull ups, dips etc.

Remember, cardio doesn't always have to mean a steady state activity like running/rowing/cycling/crosstraining at a set speed. Take a look at this video, try it even, and you'll be gasping for breath!

Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭gnolan

The routine is fairly similar each day, i do measure the results and each week I increase the amount of work i put in. As far the intensity goes perhaps you're right, but i do try to stay in in the heart rate range of 150bpm to 160bpm. At this rate i find i am able to keep up the pace, anything greater than this and i find i'll be bolloxed after 5 or 10 mins.

For the weights, am i right in saying i should lift heavy, maybe just out of the range of whats comfortable for me? And whats a good starter; 3 sets of 8 or 10? Can i expect to get good results also if i was to lift what I was comfortable with for 3 sets of 25 or 30?

As for that video, i don't think i fancy a trip to the hospital anytime soon so i might try that a few months down the line!

Try not to worry about HR - they can vary wildly depending on heat, stress, time of day, hydration levels, and activity. Look to go faster, further, or move more weight each workout.

Ideally keep in a low rep range, and stronger is better really. Chances are, as a novice, that form will deteriote way too much on 25 reps, and probably will deteriote on 12 reps as well.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

has a lot of advice on starting weight lifting, and a whole bunch of funny Rip quotes.

As for the vid, the guy who busts out an impressive number of reps is Greg Amundsun, and yes he's a machine. You could still do this workout, just take your time and go through the exercises in sequence, you'll still get a great workout in. That's how everyone starts out. In a few months, you're a fire breather.

Anyway, this was just one of hundreds of metabolic conditioning workouts there are. The key progression is technique --> consistency --> intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭gnolan

Thanks for that. Gonna start on the weight training twice a week; monday - chest, shoulders and back; friday - core, arms and legs. Talked to some people and they thought it sounded like a decent combination. I know it may not seem like enough but like i said time is fairly tight at the moment, and with the 1 hour of cardio 3 times a week on top i won't have much time for any more.

Thanks again

You don't need to split your routine into different body parts just yet, and it's counterproductive to do so as a novice.

The notion of splitting your body into parts comes from bodybuilding really - intermediate and advanced athletes needed to work on a particular weakness, so started adding in more isolation type exercises. Beginners started copying this. Kinda monkey-see, monkey-do.

As a novice, you are weak overall, and you don't need to address weaknesses that won't be addressed by full body days/workouts. I'd recommend you start on one of the programs listed here for your two days a week. You will make slower progress, but it would be more beneficial than split routines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement