Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new driving laws are they being enforced

• 01-07-2008 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

has anyone witnessed the gards enforcing the new driving laws. I hve seen lots driving with L plates. on the other hand if a couple are insured in the same car and only one has passed test the other person would still have to display plates. also is it true that if you have letter proving you are waiting for test is it ok.:cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its not being enforced in the level you think it would be. Basically, if your not drawing attention to yourself your fine. If your speeding, or driving dangerously and generally drawing attention to yourself and are found to be breaking the law then yes you will more then likely to be told where to go.

There is going to be no checkpoints setup specifically to target learner drivers. No directive has been given to Gardai, so its business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

Checkpoint by welsh park today around 3 only stayed for a short while stopped about 3 cars and then left.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

somebody in work saying a number of cars were confiscated outside the IDA Estate, but not seen any actual proof of this....discussions on TodayFM yesterday said that cars had been confiscated but for NO TAX.

A number of Gardai also txt in to TodayFM advising that they have not been told what they should do, confiscated car, fine, warn etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

Sully wrote: »
    There is going to be no checkpoints setup specifically to target learner drivers. No directive has been given to Gardai, so its business as usual.

Makes you wonder what the point is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

Im due to do my test tomorrow but the i got a call from sgs to say the tester was sick and id have to wait a month on the priority list to get another test!!!!! i called a garda station and spoke to a female garda and she said its my tough luck, bus it! but then i called another male garda and he said there wont be checkpoints so just take it handy, there are so many grey areas, does anyone know if they will really properly be enforcing this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

teresa2008 wrote: »
    .... but then i called another male garda and he said there wont be checkpoints so just take it handy, there are so many grey areas, does anyone know if they will really properly be enforcing this?

If you like that, you'll love this!
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/learner-drivers-to-be-spared-new-rules-crackdown-1422902.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Of course they won't enforce it, they never did before, why would they start now? Remember that already Provisional licence holders have had to have a qualified driver with them unless they're on their 2nd licence (which I've never understood!).

That was never enforced. I was in a crash caused by a Learner not legally accompanied, the gards told me they wouldn't bother doing him for it. And the crash was such that someone could have been killed.

They don't enforce driving whilst on the phone, driving with faulty lights, towing a trailer without lights or registration etc. They only really heavily enforce things which are easy to, and are good revenue-earners.

A.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There are reports of it being inforced in some areas in Ireland but local Gardai have publicly stated its business as usual.

Advertisement