Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick breads

• 01-07-2008 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Ive just (against my better judgement) bought and made a loaf of quick bread tomato and herb - followed directions, cooked , cooled, sliced and have just tasted and my god its awful! texture and colour fine- but tastes salty, bitter and a slight after taste of mould/ oregano- just fit for the bin- wouldnt even give it to the birds!

Anybody had any joy with the auld quick route to doing things?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I really like Odlum's Five Grain bread. It always comes out perfectly for me and it's very tasty.

I tend to make my own bread more often nowadays though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Forgive my ignorance - what's quick bread? You mean a pack with all the "bits" included, but that takes the same amount of time to mix and prove and so on, or do they cut out some part of the time-consuming kneading and proving process?

I either make bread from scratch or buy the mixes for sourdough or wholegrain breads. If I want interesting additions, I mix the extras into the loaf mixture myself. I think a plain bread mix (they give you the flour and the yeast, you add water - and if you're me a little salt and some oil) works very well with additions (herbs, chopped sundried tomatoes, olives and so on).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Here's a quick link that explains all. http://www.odlums.ie/Pages/Pr_QuickBre.html

Basically you just add water and then bung it in the oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I find the odlums ones really really dry and mealy, not nice at all. I have a lovely brown bread recipe that turns out great every time!
    Tasty Brown Bread

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Looking for a quick way out again I was when I decided to try the Odlums brown bread mix (the 2kg bag) its basically all that should be in soda bread but dried. just add water,knead a little and bake for 50 mins!!

Its amazing- really nice bread - we have been hounding through a loaf a day!
    and theres only the two of us!

Worth a go!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Looking for a quick way out again I was when I decided to try the Odlums brown bread mix (the 2kg bag) its basically all that should be in soda bread but dried. just add water,knead a little and bake for 50 mins!!

Its amazing- really nice bread - we have been hounding through a loaf a day!
    and theres only the two of us!

Worth a go!

That's the only quick bread mix I use - yummy :)

I agree ...they are mealy when made with water. I add yeast and make it the 'slow' way and I get a totally different loaf. These can be used in a breadmaker which I don't have. In Lidl they have 2 different bread mixes, both with rye which are very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Still on the bread buzz- there was a recipe for banana bread in last weeks Galway first- its absolutely lovely

give it a go -
    Ingedients - 110g butter, 220g light brown sugar, 2 eggs, 2 ripe bananas, 250g plain flour, 1 tsp bread soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 100g choc chips( i used dried apricots instead yum)

just cream the butter and sugar together add eggs mashed bananas mix a bit, add in the bread soda and salt, flour- no need to sieve , mix and fold in in the apricots /choc chips/ chopped nuts(whichevr youlike),

bake in a well greased loaf tin for 50 mins at 175

it takes almost to the second 50 mins

Advertisement