Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best driving instructor??

Options
  • 01-07-2008 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Who should i go to?? Have test in a few weeks better get a few in.

Didn't see many L plates up today

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Different people are suited to different instructors. I went with Stuart Butler and passed first time. A friend of mine went with Richie Moran and she didnt like him at all whereas others sing his praises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭StudentEmeritus

Stuart is great... sound and realistic. Good banter too. He's a big hurling man.

You'll find them at http://www.osm.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I'm after booking myself a few lessons with a girl called Sharon.
    €40 a lesson. Seems reasonable, is it average/normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I find Stuart to be dire, but that's just me. As Nightwish said different people suit different instructors.

I also wouldn't recommend Sharon. She told me that traffic lights outside The Field (if you're coming down Patrick St and take the slip up to High Street) aren't traffic lights but pedestrian lights. They aren't. I just think if you get something as basic as that wrong what else will you get wrong.

My recommendation is Billy (A1 Driving for Life). All my friend's and I got lessons with Billy and have all found him brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've seen Sharon nearly cause an accident at the parade and she was driving and totally in the wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Okay that's two serious performance negatives against my to-be driving instructor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

well I've no issues with Sharon - found her great and passed my test so can't complain :D

as has been said different instructors for different folks - was living in thurles before the instructor i had there I found no good. Friend of mine in Kilkenny takes lessons with Billy and he is going attempt no 4 at the test at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^^^ me too. Passed my test first time after a few lessons from Sharon, although I had passed one already in a different category with 0 lesson :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭harlem

+1 for Sharon, my other half and his brother both passed their test after taking lessons with her, they'd failed a few times each prior to that with other instructors.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 3 castles

just passed my test 2 weeks ago. got pat walsh drivewell . he is very good, tells you straigth up what areas you need to improve on.
    35 euro a lesson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Passed my test with Richie Moran. I thought he was very good, but then again ive no basis for comparrison. And it was about 7 years ago so there's a lot more instructers around now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 xashx

i had stuart butler and passed first time about 2 & half years ago. the only thing i found with him was he gave me absolutly NO confidence going in for test, which made me even more nervous. he practically told me i wouldnt pass and he'd be seeing me again bla bla bla... :mad:

not the best frame of mind to be going into a driving test, nightmare and i dont envy anyone who has to do it... ! :(

Best of Luck !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 caoimhghin72

I found Stuart Butler the same, very negative, and seemed more interested in drumming up more 'trade' when you failed, than anything. Another thing that annoyed me about him as the number of times he was answering his phone while giving lessons to people who had just passed their test (marketing ploy?)
    Anyway, I failed - so I went straight for it again, got a cancellation a couple of weeks later, and this time went for lessons with Billy Drennan (A1). Found him very good - and I passed, as all the negativity from Stuart was 'left behind' in my exhaust fumes(!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 OldBoy...

Avoid Billy Drennan. Not good and will ALWAYS be 20 minutes to an hour late. Go with someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

OldBoy... wrote: »
    Avoid Billy Drennan. Not good and will ALWAYS be 20 minutes to an hour late. Go with someone else

Couldn't disagree more! I passed my test with Billy, as did 5 or 6 of my friends. He was never late and he was the best instructor I had.

I previously went to Stuart from Ormonde School of Motoring and Sharon's School Of Motoring and both told me things that were not only wrong, but dangerous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ergonomics wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more! I passed my test with Billy, as did 5 or 6 of my friends. He was never late and he was the best instructor I had.

I previously went to Stuart from Ormonde School of Motoring and Sharon's School Of Motoring and both told me things that were not only wrong, but dangerous.

I would take any first time poster with a pinch of salt. I had Billy also, he was constantly late but I passed my test within a year of getting my provisional license, I found him very good.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement