Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart over head?

Options
  • 01-07-2008 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    Just looking for some advice, I have recently applied for a new job (part time retail) with quite a few benefits and better pay than what I am on in my current job, but my main reason was because I don't get on well with my manager (she's a bully) and I get miserable at Christmas because its so busy and the hours can get ridiculous, although this new job is likely to be very busy as well.
    When I first applied I thought that there was no contest between the two, but now I keep thinking about all the great friends I've made. In my current job, we are all very sociable and go out a lot. I'm really worried that I'm not going to see my workmates anymore (the majority of my friends are from work). Basically my heart says to stay in my current job but my head says to move on. Advice anyone??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's up to yourself really. If your fun times outweigh your stressfull times then there is not much sense in leaving. You don't know what sort of people are in your other job, but if you decide to change then what is stopping you from seeing all your friends you have made in your current job?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Leave.

If they are really friends you'll still see them even if you're not working at the same place and you're going to be happy not to have to deal with the boss you feel bullying you.

Besides most people get leaving blues, it is only natural :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well I was offered the job today and I took it, so will be handing in my notice tomorrow. I had to think about the fact that I really was miserable the majority of the time. Thinking about my friends clouded my judgement on the whole thing. I'm hoping that in this new job I'll be treated more fairly and that overall I'll be happier. Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well just an update on the situation- I have been offered the job and immediately accepted. I have handed in my notice too. If I was to turn it down I'd probably be turning a job down that would make me so much happier. The more I think about it, the happier I get. Also, I've had a few atrocious days at my current job which has just made me think I have definitely made the right choice in leaving. I have prepared myself to leave now and I can't wait to start my new job. I will really miss my friends but I know that we'll keep in touch. Thanks for the advice! :-)

Advertisement