Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ever hear of a....

Options
  • 01-07-2008 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

"gas guzzling 2.0 SUV"......:D:D:D:D:D

There was one on the news this evening:p

Is it a prerequisite that you must haven't the first clue about motoring to join RTE??

Oh, and a member of Cowan's target market off to buy a shopping trolley that she thinks is a bargain

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Yep was watching it myself, bit ironic they had some aul one buying her new car, ''For economy and Co2... yada yada yada'', when most of the cars life long pollution is done when its made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Yep was watching it myself, bit ironic they had some aul one buying her new car, ''For economy and Co2... yada yada yada'', when most of the cars life long pollution is done when its made.

True. I remember reading somewhere that the most 'greenest' vehicle, considering the factors or longevity and build costs, was the Jeep Wrangler! Funny that, given they have 4.0L petrol engines!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Max_Damage wrote: »
    True. I remember reading somewhere that the most 'greenest' vehicle, considering the factors or longevity and build costs, was the Jeep Wrangler! Funny that, given they have 4.0L petrol engines!
    That's because they're hand-built by donut-eating monkies with hammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

cantdecide wrote: »
    "gas guzzling

I'm beginning to detest that phrase, it gets on my goat! Usually spouted by clueless "journos" on RTE/TV3...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Max_Damage wrote: »

I remember that survey.I saw it in a whatcar mag a few years ago.Hard to take it seriously though.Apart from that though, twas fairly credible.The Toyota Echo(American Yaris) came 2nd.The Maybach 62 was last and the Prius was fairly low down as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

cantdecide wrote: »
    "gas guzzling 2.0 SUV"......:D:D:D:D:D

There was one on the news this evening:p

Is it a prerequisite that you must haven't the first clue about motoring to join RTE??

Oh, and a member of Cowan's target market off to buy a shopping trolley that she thinks is a bargain

Glad I didn't hear that, stuff like that drives me nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Volvoboy wrote: »
    A lad on The Last Word put the figure at around 20%.

Think about it. An average 35mpg car will burn 19,000 litres of fuel every 150,000 miles. Currently that'd cost about €25,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

When I was in the states recently I saw an ad that made me laugh, it was advertising some SUV that apparently had the best fuel economy for a V8! That's like advertising the most humane way to kill somebody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i have a spare car its a 1.7td vectra 254,000 miles and 50 to the gallon
    i keep it in great condition as i drive a lot for work and need a cheap reliabe spare for emergencies

on a seperate note the hyundai suv ad is on again

i feel that the rte and tv3 news journos are just plain funny
    first they point out a merc diesel that has dropped 25% in omsp then they go on kabout how this will force peeps into smaller cars
    the feck it will
    just means we'll all be in nice big chipped tdi's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I remember that survey.I saw it in a whatcar mag a few years ago.Hard to take it seriously though.Apart from that though, twas fairly credible.The Toyota Echo(American Yaris) came 2nd.The Maybach 62 was last and the Prius was fairly low down as well.

i read in a european survey that the new sclass merc is the greenest and most ethically produced car at the momoet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't think I get the problem - is it not possible to have a 2.0 SUV that drinks a lot of fuel? In fact, the smaller engine probably makes it more inefficient because of the weight it has to pull around with a weedy engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

JHMEG wrote: »
    A lad on The Last Word put the figure at around 20%.

Think about it. An average 35mpg car will burn 19,000 litres of fuel every 150,000 miles. Currently that'd cost about €25,000.

i heard that
    few things he's missing there

the energy of 20% that he was talking about was the build energy to put the car together
    not to transport the raw materials creat the steel plastic etc, transport the processed materials created the parts transport the parts then build the car

also they don't pay a levy on the energy costs like on fuel
    without duty and vat the petrol would be €7,600

Advertisement