Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Question

Options
  • 01-07-2008 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

howryez...

Was wondering if anyone knows if there are positions within the fire brigade or in the Paramedics that solely involve driving...?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

No of course not. Driving is a tiny part of those jobs. It's just a means to an end. A to B. There are plenty of jobs out there that just involve driving - Taxi, Dublin Bus, Courier and so on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Nope those who suffer blue light syndrome must prove themselfs doing the dirty work before they get to drive with the ememrgency warning equipment.

The only thing close is doing patient transport work with hse or private ambulance service, but its driving mini-buses with no blues and twos

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

Hi,

kind of but not really if you know what i mean.

in the fire service, anyone joining must hold a class b car licence. In a station, the st. officer, sub-st. officer and normally 3 driver/mechanics all hold full c class licences. other firefighters can have and obtain c class also and help with driving, but would start as only assistant drivers. they dont respond in the first turnout appliance. maybe they drive home afterwards to gain experience. all at the st. officers discretion really.

all DM are also firefighters and can quickly help out on the fireground. some stations have more than 3 DM so when different people take holidays, there are always enough drivers to man each vehicle, so none have to be taken off the run.

As far as ambulance goes. im not really sure.

is this kind of what you were asking or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭horseydevine

How do you go about becoming a driver/mechanic with them??

Ring local council HR dept, as far as im aware you start off spraying the wet stuff on the hot stuff and work your way up.

Its local councils were on about so if they can get a 2 for the price of 1 theyll do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    you start off spraying the wet stuff on the hot stuff and work your way up.

:D:D:D

wreckless wrote: »
    Hi,

kind of but not really if you know what i mean.

in the fire service, anyone joining must hold a class b car licence. In a station, the st. officer, sub-st. officer and normally 3 driver/mechanics all hold full c class licences. other firefighters can have and obtain c class also and help with driving, but would start as only assistant drivers. they dont respond in the first turnout appliance. maybe they drive home afterwards to gain experience. all at the st. officers discretion really.

all DM are also firefighters and can quickly help out on the fireground. some stations have more than 3 DM so when different people take holidays, there are always enough drivers to man each vehicle, so none have to be taken off the run.

As far as ambulance goes. im not really sure.

is this kind of what you were asking or not?

Yeah it is, do dublin fire brigade have a website?
    Me little brother went to the civil defence down on the quays to try for rescue and he said that involved driving the tenders but it was all booked up?

I might just have to resort to driving one of those fire engine limos :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Whats the obsession with driving fire engines all about?

If you join DFB you can put driving on the backburner and be prepared to get dirty with rest of us

Paulzx wrote: »
    Whats the obsession with driving fire engines all about?

If you join DFB you can put driving on the backburner and be prepared to get dirty with rest of us

Well iv driven just about everything else so F**k it might as well try me hand at it

Ok horsey the rank of driver mechanic is normally only in retained stations down the country, there are only two of these in dublin, balbriggan and skerries and as far as i know they work the same as the full time stations in that your all firefighters and the first driver to get there when the call comes in drives.

But as far as dublin goes astleast as paul says there is going to be a long time before your drive. Although if you go for the full time youll be a firefighter/paramedic and after a while youll be driving the ambulance but no specific driving jobs.

Oh and DFB wont be recruiting for another 3 years roughly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Well iv driven just about everything else so F**k it might as well try me hand at it

NASA are recruiting for space shuttle drivers. Throw your hat in the ring. I'd say you've a great chance:rolleyes:

Paulzx wrote: »
    NASA are recruiting for space shuttle drivers. Throw your hat in the ring. I'd say you've a great chance:rolleyes:

Well that comment was as useful as a F**kin life jacket in the sahara to be quite honest...

Easy tiger, just pauls sense of humor, most thing he says he's taking the p1ss

Easy tiger, just pauls sense of humor, most thing he says he's taking the p1ss

ah ok... well it did sound like it......more of a horse than a tiger haha

I'd call him a donkey more then anything

I'd call him a donkey more then anything
    him or me???

Him

Advertisement