Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So the VRT changes are here

Options
  • 01-07-2008 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

As the title says, VRT changes are here RTE news does a "Special" on it this evening, typical. 1.4 Corsa a MASSIVE saving of €3,500 euro (including road tax savings) and the BIG DIRTY BAD Range Rover costing a whopping €2000 in road tax. Special banded system to tell you that your 3.2l beast is destroying the planet.

So tell me, do all the Fleet managers out there go buy 1.4 diesel/petrols for their staff who do 70,000kms a year a pay a paltry €200 a year for each car while those who buy a 3ltr+ car get caned with the €2k but only do 7,000kms a year, where's the fairness in that.

I know we've all ranted and raved about this over the past couple of years, when will they learn to tax the fuel and is there a legitimate argument as to why this wouldn't make economic sense? Charge us all €200 per year road tax then put the rest on the fuel.

Comments.

[dons flame retardent suit]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

This has been covered in other VRT rants, but I definitely agree.
    Most people would agree that it's ridiculous to charge the average joe more than a company van when the van would be doing 10x more mileage and thus giving out more emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

nialler wrote: »
    when will they learn to tax the fuel

Gormless isn't really that gormless. He knows full well that the only green way is taxation based on the "polluter pays" principle. Pity he doesn't have the balls to make a difference...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Can't remember if it was RTE or TV3 today did a special, and the reporter mentioned "this gas guzzling 2L diesel SUV is going up in price", since when is a 2L diesel a "gas guzzler"? FFS. Mockery, green nonsense. Like removing all the range rovers will save the planet:rolleyes:. I for one like to see a nice car, sports car, SUV, exec saloon on the road. Its a pity one needs to feel guilty about wanting to own a half decent car these days, and not a crappy small oil burning stove. I could care less about CO2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

astraboy wrote: »
    Can't remember if it was RTE or TV3 today did a special, and the reporter mentioned "this gas guzzling 2L diesel SUV is going up in price", since when is a 2L diesel a "gas guzzler"? FFS. Mockery, green nonsense. Like removing all the range rovers will save the planet:rolleyes:. I for one like to see a nice car, sports car, SUV, exec saloon on the road. Its a pity one needs to feel guilty about wanting to own a half decent car these days, and not a crappy small oil burning stove. I could care less about CO2.

Reporters generally are idiots who failed their junior cert. There was a piece on the Examiner where a Passat diesel was referred to as a "gas-gazumping" car... which as anyone who bought a house in the previous 10 years will know has a very different meaning.

I think if you ever read a newspaper article, especially an opinion piece the subject matter about which you have some prior knowledge you will be horrified as to the level of ignorance and arrogance displayed.

Advertisement