Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

motor tax

Options
  • 01-07-2008 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

ive just bought a car from a dealer and he handed me the log book and told me to send it off to shannon myself,the tax is out of date.is it possible to bring the logbook straight to my local motor tax office and get it taxed instead of waiting for the logbook to be returned to myself from shannon

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the log book has to go to Shannon for the registration to take place. The local tax office does not process registrations IIRC and theoretically you can't tax it until its in your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

get a piece of paper and write your insurance details on it and stick it in where your tax disk shoud be, make sure some of the letters and numbers you wrote down are visabel.....don't display the old tax disk have it tucked behind the piece of paper....

When the garda stops you tell him that's it's gone to shannon, he'll see your not displaying the old tax disk but have some paper there with some writing on it so he should take your word and let you pass...

It's always worked for me, not sure why but it does..

OP is right tax book has to go to shannon, so you'll be driving with no tax for a few weeks... welcome to the dark side brother;)

Don't worry most drivers have done it at some staqe or another...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Really the seller should not have given you the VLC, the seller is supposed to send it to Shannon with the change of ownership section filled in and signed by you.

You cannot tax the car until the DOE in Shannon receive the old VLC, update the details and send out a new VLC to you with your name and address on it as the new registered owner. When you receive this you can then walk into your local motor tax office and tax the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

bazz26 wrote: »
    Really the seller should not have given you the VLC, the seller is supposed to send it to Shannon with the change of ownership section filled in and signed by you.

You cannot tax the car until the DOE in Shannon receive the old VLC, update the details and send out a new VLC to you with your name and address on it as the new registered owner. When you receive this you can then walk into your local motor tax office and tax the car.

on an addendum, what forms do u need when u go to your local motor tax office to tax a car uve just bought and have received the new VLC? i gather it cant be done online the first time right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I'm in the same situation, bought a car and the dealer said I have to wait for the log book to be returned to me before I can tax the car.
    I double checked in the tax office and they said the dealer should have given me a vlc so I could tax the car straight away...but a vlc is a log book isn't it??
    Totally confused now:confused: and paranoid about driving the car without tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

kbannon wrote: »
    the log book has to go to Shannon for the registration to take place. The local tax office does not process registrations IIRC and theoretically you can't tax it until its in your name.

you can complete the VRC and hand it in at the tax office and get tax on the sopt. I've done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

ive taxed it at tax office when got a car and used the log book,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

chris85 wrote: »
    ive taxed it at tax office when got a car and used the log book,

i did not quite catch what u meant there...

Advertisement