Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl special buy 50% more expensive in republic than NI

Options
  • 01-07-2008 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

This weeks special buy a sewing machine is €74.99 in the republic and £39.99 (€50.50) in the north. I was aware that things were more expensive down here but that is a stunning difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I thought that was dear too, even without the currency difference

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

caz34 wrote: »
    This weeks special buy a sewing machine is €74.99 in the republic and £39.99 (€50.50) in the north. I was aware that things were more expensive down here but that is a stunning difference.

Well then, vote with your feet and buy in the North. Lidl, like all retailers, are charging what they think the consumer will pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 caz34

Its a special - so its not as simple as taking a trip to newry on saturday. They are already sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Try ringing them and asking why the big difference.

Lidl Head Office, Newbridge, Co. Kildare

045 440400 and ask for Patrick or Daniel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

There must be some reason for this as normally Lidl's offers equate roughly to the exchange rate - even other offers this week seem to use a 1.27 exchange rate.

Who uses sewing machines anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ah they have it all sewn up :o (I'll get my coat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Shouldn't that read 33% price difference ?
    Where did the OP get the 50% from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Eur50 x 50% = EUR25, plus the EUR50= EUR75.
    So Lidl Ireland is 50% more expensive then Lidl NI.

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Eur50 x 50% = EUR25, plus the EUR50= EUR75.
    So Lidl Ireland is 50% more expensive then Lidl NI.

And 50% off on 75 Euro would be 37.50.

75/2 = 37.50

100% = 75 EUR
    50% = 37.50
    50 euro as a % of 75 = 66% (

33% difference in price.

Not really a comparison anyway, same if i drive to Aldi in Dusseldorf as opposed to going to Aldi in Den Haag, or any of the Big Chains. Just because its Sterling - Euro people think its should be the same price. Wrong, its the same on the continent in Euro - Euro. Different markets different regions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

craichoe wrote: »
    And 50% off on 75 Euro would be 37.50.

75/2 = 37.50

100% = 75 EUR
    50% = 37.50
    50 euro as a % of 75 = 66% (

33% difference in price.

Not really a comparison anyway, same if i drive to Aldi in Dusseldorf as opposed to going to Aldi in Den Haag, or any of the Big Chains. Just because its Sterling - Euro people think its should be the same price. Wrong, its the same on the continent in Euro - Euro. Different markets different regions.
    Its 50% dearer than NI. The man is correct and your sums are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

someone will be very upset when they check the weights on their 33% extra free fig rolls. :D

Its 50% dearer than NI. The man is correct and your sums are wrong.

Doh, i'm not awake yet :)

Regardless, i still think its rubbish that the Irish are complaining about prices in a different country compared to theirs. You could have the same argument about Holland and Germany but thats just the way it is.
    zuroph wrote:
    someone will be very upset when they check the weights on their 33% extra free fig rolls.

LOL .. who in their right mind would go weighing fig rolls .. i'd be calling the funny farm to reserve a spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There are also some regular products that are more expensive here than up North, notably:
    McKinleys Tea Bags Red Box 80 pk is €0.40 in NI v €0.89 in ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The people in NI must be getting an extra special deal. On the Czech Lidl site, there's only a couple of Euro diff between what the Czechs have to pay and what we have to pay at about €71. In Austria they're charging €70.

Is there a possibility of a typo on the NI site? If it was £59.99, that would be more like it.

I think that I might have too much time on my hands:eek:

Advertisement