Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raisin or What ??

• 01-07-2008 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

A raisin is a dried grape...and both sultanas and currants are raisins ??. Dictionary says so !!. What exactly is the difference...and in cooking terms what can/can't be used for what ?. I like the softer ones...not the ones that go hard and black. Then again...maybe that's because I burnt them.

Never too old to learn.

Thanks,
    K.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

They are all grapes - made from different types of grape.
    Sultanas are the juiciest and currants are the evil - bluebottle-like additions to scones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

AFAIK sultanas & currants are seedless grapes, and certain varieties, so raisins would usually be cheaper.

If you want them softer soak in water overnight. I soak mine in milk sometimes and add to plain uncooked porridge oats. To do it in a rush soak in hot water, maybe even boil them up.

Just found...
    Regional variations
    In the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand, the word raisin is reserved for the dried large dark grape, with sultana being a dried large white grape, and currant being a dried small Black Corinth grape.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raisin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

You learn something new everyday - I always thought a currant was a dried blackcurrant. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

As far as I'm concerned they're all horrible wherever they come from.

I hate hate hate when you order a lovely chocolate pudding/sticky toffee pudding and it has raisins/sultanas in it!

Advertisement