Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TM v2 gearbox upgrade probs....

Options
  • 01-07-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

Hello.

I got a 1 joule spring from IAS (http://irishairsoftsupplies.ie/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=96) and I'm having a bit of a problem getting it to work.

When I install the spring and test it the fuse blows a moment after the motor makes a bit of noise like its moving. I striped it again and checked and everything seemed fine so I checked it again and same problem - blown fuse. I've reinstalled the TM spring and tried it and it works fine, no problems.

The new spring is slightly longer than the TM one (about 1/2 an inch) so am I screwing something up or is the motor (eg1000 I think is what you call it) not strong enough? Oh and everything else is stock and I've tried it with a 8.4v and 9.6v battery's.

Cheers for the help.

Chuck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

havent heard of a spring causeing fuses to blow.im no expert though being stripping and putting my version 2 mech back together with no issues over the last few days

just by chance have you put the motor back in properly and not damaged any of the aegs wiring that may be causing the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

No everything seems fine (wiring and motor wise). I've put the ori TM spring back in and it works fine no blown fuses or the like. I'm guessing I've screwed up something when I put it back together with the 1j spring since the spring was trying to launch the spring guide into low earth orbit and I didn't want to loose it/a limb!:)

Just wondering though is a 1j spring supposed to be longer than a than the stock one from TM (I'm hard of understanding at this time of night without the usual 2ltrs of strong coffee in my system :o)?

Cheers for the help.

Chuck

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

ive a 1j spring on order ,you have me thinking now ,
    ask our resident experts Kdouglas or Vtec they might be able to shed more light on the problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

The prob is defo in the way ya put it back together rather than the length of the spring, springs can come in a variety or different lengths, coil thickneses etc.,

Is the gearbox going together ok for you? you dont have to force anything on it? also, Did you make sure the little nub on the sector gear (the one that touches the piston) wasnt touching the tappet plate when you put it back together.,it should be around the 3 o'clock-ish mark to in order to refit the other half of the gearbox., also, make sure the piston is sitting in the little grooves for it to move back and forward, you can use a long screwdriver inserted through the end of the spring guide and into the piston to hold it in place for you to refit it.,

It seemed to be going back together grand but I'd have to agree with you and say that something was out of whack inside. It was a lot easier to put the gear box back together with the TM spring anyway so I'm guessing something wasn't put back right. I'll give it another go tomorrow/later today.

Cheers for the help.

• Advertisement

Right I got it working today for a bit but the same problem - the fuse blows :(

I'm using 10amp glass fuses from Halfords. As I fire the gun (dry fire) I can see the fuse wire bend and finally break as it gets used. When I tested it I didn't have the gearbox installed in the receiver just the handle screwed on, motor installed and heatsink (the bit on the end of the handle) screwed on.

So the question now is do I up the amperage of the of the fuse and what size should I go for? :confused:

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

Right I got it working today for a bit but the same problem - the fuse blows :(

I'm using 10amp glass fuses from Halfords. As I fire the gun (dry fire) I can see the fuse wire bend and finally break as it gets used. When I tested it I didn't have the gearbox installed in the receiver just the handle screwed on, motor installed and heatsink (the bit on the end of the handle) screwed on.

So the question now is do I up the amperage of the of the fuse and what size should I go for? :confused:

Thanks for the help

When you have a stronger spring installed, the motor will have to work harder to compress it, thus drawing more current.
    A 10 Amp fuse sounds a little low to me, as my MP5 uses a 20A fuse.
    I suggest you purchase a 15A fuse and see how that goes, if it blows then go for the 20A fuse.

When you have a stronger spring installed, the motor will have to work harder to compress it, thus drawing more current.
    A 10 Amp fuse sounds a little low to me, as my MP5 uses a 20A fuse.
    I suggest you purchase a 15A fuse and see how that goes, if it blows then go for the 20A fuse.

20Amp? WOW! Didn't think aeg's needed that strong a fuse! Definitely is the fuse giving out because its able to run for a bit and I can watch the fuse weaken then blow.

Thanks for the help Head Hunter, I'll up it tomorrow.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Guys,

Be very careful with the fuse issue.

Firstly find out what the maximum allowable current for the motor in use is. The fuse appropriately.

It may be that the spring is too powerful for the available torque the motor is capable off, so naturally if the motor is subject to a mechanical overload the current drawn will increase.

The purpose of the fuse is to protect the motor, so perhaps check the rating both electrical and mechanical before upping the value of fuses.

It is possible that the motor is perfectly capable of supplying the extra torque necessary and that the windings are able to handle the increased current and if this is the case the motor was over rated for the job in hand which would not have been a bad thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

The EG1000 definitely shouldn't have any problem pushing a 1 Joule spring

• Advertisement
Advertisement