Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere in Galway hiring?

Options
  • 01-07-2008 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi im a college student looking for part time work have tried all the usuals like tesco and dunnes but does anyone know of anywhere that is hiring at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

Just go in and ask them, best way to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

theres a recruitment agency called oneill & brennan that i used to get some work with before gettin somethin more fulltime....sword security are always a good option but just send cvs into hotels and bars...its worth thyin ICE as well if boston or medtronic are hiring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

jobs are tough enough to get at the moment from what i hear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

They really are. Even thru recruitment agencies..I know a lot of people looking for jobs, from accountants to students straight outta school and there is nothing..Dunnes in Briarhill had application forms left out but didnt have a sign sayign they were hiring or anything..I reckon even the summer races have enough staff...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Hi im a college student looking for part time work have tried all the usuals like tesco and dunnes but does anyone know of anywhere that is hiring at the moment?
    What skills have you got that might make you stand out from the crowd?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

there's nothin in galway except telesales bs.. and other jobs where you earn big money from home.

turf wrote: »
    there's nothin in galway except telesales bs.. and other jobs where you earn big money from home.
    Now I haven't got this week's Avertiser to hand but I'm pretty sure there's a lot more than that in the Jobs section.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hmm I got into a sweet job for a huge multinational software company in Galway a few months back. Definately not Telesales BS - Think you're either looking in the wrong places or are crap at interviews

well i finished a commerce degree and there's no jobs related to that so..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You're right, i've noticed that myself from feedback from people. Problem is there's 2/300 coming out with the degree every year and they may want to stay in Galway - flooded market

Computer forensics ftw! Less than 20 people passed their exams this year (3rd year, still a year to go) out of an original 90 students in 1st year :pac: (Yes I was one of them :D)

• Advertisement

It may shock you to realise this but you don't just automatically walk into a job in your area once you graduate unfortunately. I finished my degree in 2001 and finally got a job in my area in 2005 after going through furniture moving, bar work, working on an assembly line and systems administration.

Looking for a job is difficult so the best of luck with it!

it did shock me to realise.. as i'm sure it shocked you that you do a good leavin cert thinkin that a degree leaves you with a job. anyways, this is off-topic..

on topic, galway is fairly poor for jobs unless its tourist, marketing or computer jobs maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Galway isn't great for jobs unless they're in Boston Sci or one of those places, in the hospital or NUIG or tourism. Sad but true.

Advertisement