Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

licence qustion

Options
  • 01-07-2008 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

May seem like a silly question people but my younger brother is thinkin bout getting a bike, does he need to do a theory test first before getting his provisional A licence even though he has a full B licence ?? tbh i don't ave a clue :(. Am expecting some smart comments lol but need to know seriously, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackhammer

Yes, he has to do the theory test even though he holds a full B licence. I was in the same boat a couple of years back. Back then the theory test for the A provisional and B provisional were the same, but I heard recently that they've tailored the 'A' theory test to have a few bike-related questions in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Petal1

bit of a balls to be honest, you'd imagine rules of the rd would be the same whatever you drive ?? i understand people should know about the mechanics etc of what they drive, money makin racket imo

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

Petal1 wrote: »
    bit of a balls to be honest, you'd imagine rules of the rd would be the same whatever you drive ?? i understand people should know about the mechanics etc of what they drive, money makin racket imo

I don't really agree with you. I'm in the process of going to sit my Bike Theory test having held a B licence for ten years (and an IAM Advanced Driving Licence) and there's a decent amount of learning involved.

If you were to go and do a truck or a bus licence, the same applies. If it saves people's lives and makes them safer motorists of any kind, it's money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Have a look at the Motorcycle forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=577

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

Petal1 wrote: »
    May seem like a silly question people but my younger brother is thinkin bout getting a bike, does he need to do a theory test first before getting his provisional A licence even though he has a full B licence ?? tbh i don't ave a clue :(. Am expecting some smart comments lol but need to know seriously, cheers
    If he originally did the theory test when the car and bike were combined then he probably wont have to do the bike theory test. I was in the same situation and i got my licence about 2 weeks ago without doing the theory test again.

If he did the theory test since the bike and car have been seporated or if he has never done a theory test then id say he will have to do one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement