Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

99 Primera front suspension squeak

Options
  • 01-07-2008 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

In recent times our '99 Primera (167k miles and still going) developed some noisy squeaking which can be heard as the front chassis/suspension travels over uneven terrain. It is intermittant - it went away for a week now but it's done that before and returned.

I spoke to a local mechanic briefly and he mentioned about it being a common enough issue with Primeras and he mentioned something about a suspension arm. He serviced the car recently and replaced a starter motor which died on me. I trust him to do any mechanical work on the car.

I think it might be bushes or top-links .. (based on layman googling).
    Any idea how much I should expect to pay to rectify this ? (just so I have
    a rough idea on how much to shell out for such a job.. assuming it is bushes or toplinks which need replacing.)

-Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I came across something similar on an Almera. After a lot of looking to find the intermittent fault which only developed a month or so after the front shocks being replaced, it turned out to be the top of the shock absorber.

It was a matter of loosening out the top of the shock ( the large centre nut) and using some oil. Been perfect since.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Avns1s wrote: »
    I came across something similar on an Almera. After a lot of looking to find the intermittent fault which only developed a month or so after the front shocks being replaced, it turned out to be the top of the shock absorber.

It was a matter of loosening out the top of the shock ( the large centre nut) and using some oil. Been perfect since.

Interesting - hopefully it is something as simple as that (and hopefully identified quickly by mechanic, etc). Just in case though I am interested to hear opinions on how much I should expect to be stung for the job of replacing bushes or top-links for the front suspension.

(aside - I remember your nick Avns1s .. when I was planning house build and geothermal/ground source heat pump. Worked out well so far although costs of running are still not fully determined at this stage...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

iplogger1 wrote: »
    In recent times our '99 Primera (167k miles and still going) developed some noisy squeaking which can be heard as the front chassis/suspension travels over uneven terrain. It is intermittant - it went away for a week now but it's done that before and returned.

I spoke to a local mechanic briefly and he mentioned about it being a common enough issue with Primeras and he mentioned something about a suspension arm. He serviced the car recently and replaced a starter motor which died on me. I trust him to do any mechanical work on the car.

I think it might be bushes or top-links .. (based on layman googling).
    Any idea how much I should expect to pay to rectify this ? (just so I have
    a rough idea on how much to shell out for such a job.. assuming it is bushes or toplinks which need replacing.)

-Ian

Yep I am on my third primera & it is your toplink , squeaking might disappear in the wet & reappear after a couple of dry days ???

I presume your mechanic knows that when torquing the bolts on the new link you need to have the link in the middle of it's travel . i.e the car sitting on the ground on it's 4 wheels , if you tighten the bolts with the car jacked up & the hub unsupported it will greately shorten the life of the new link.

I have found it is best to use Nissan parts & I forget the price but would harazd a guess of €140 - €170 fitted (might be out on this as I have an a/c with my mechanic & pay for everthing once a month)

Advertisement