Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car sales a disaster!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 01-07-2008 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

There's no big rush on for new cars with the new VRT system in place, any of the sales men I know in the different main dealers around the place have said it's an absolute disaster all round, nobody bought before it and nobody's buying now. If this keeps up most of us are out of a job in a few months. It amazes me how this government has ruined so many businesses one after the other, they simply haven't a clue how to run anything, farming, taxies, fishing, health, education and now the motor industry, what next!!! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I guess most people are going to wait untill the dust settles and buy a new car in 09, this year is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sales are grand, not the best but grand. People are hardly going to expect people to buy before, if they were goin to lose in July, and hardly going to buy in July if they are only goin to get a 6 month year. Jan 09 will tell all. Then we'lll know how screwed we are:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd hazard a guess and say that all this doom and gloom talk about the recession and the return of the eighties isn't particulalry helping matters either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Petal1

things ain't that bad, as above people are a tad cautios at the mo with this whole VRT increase / decrease. Dealerships were expecting floods of people to walk through there doors today but the complete opposite occurred. People will leave things settle for the next month/6 weeks to see what bargains can be got, reductions will not happen over night!! People are talking themselves into recession at the moment, afraid to turn on the tv in case some politician appears to be talking about all the doom and gloom we are supposedly bout to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

We're doing grand to be honest, no floods of people but we didnt expect it either. I think a lot of people were expecting a huge up in sales, but to be honest, from my experience over the last few months, the majority of these people were not directly involved in the motor industry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

junkyard wrote: »
    There's no big rush on for new cars with the new VRT system in place, any of the sales men I know in the different main dealers around the place have said it's an absolute disaster all round, nobody bought before it and nobody's buying now. If this keeps up most of us are out of a job in a few months. It amazes me how this government has ruined so many businesses one after the other, they simply haven't a clue how to run anything, farming, taxies, fishing, health, education and now the motor industry, what next!!! :(

time to ditch your FF logo in ur sig so!.. :D they made a rite bollix of things they did, both the ff and the greens, disaster all around.

as the price of oil rises, people will get nervous, nobody would want thousands sitting in a car they cant afford to fuel up... so i would say people will hang on, interest rate rises, cost of living increases , and the fact that the trade in they would have traded in for a new car, is now worth a good bit less than they thought, so they will be cautious and hold out.....

i cant see a hugh rush in new car sales in the current climate...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

what_car wrote: »
    time to ditch your FF logo in ur sig so!.. :D they made a rite bollix of things they did, both the ff and the greens, disaster all around.
    Look at it more closely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

thats rich, coming from a ff supporter... !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

You have this man to thank for this outrage:

johngormley.jpg

legs11 wrote: »

??

• Advertisement

Max_Damage wrote: »
    You have this man to thank for this outrage:

johngormley.jpg

what a feckin idiot! hes doing a great job really, fair play to the chap:D:D:D if he keeps going like this there will be nothing left.
    there will be a CO2 fart tax next.
    12 weeks to reply to an email, with a response a 5yr old kid could do better.
    they have absolutely no experience at anything, tree hugging idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

what a feckin idiot! hes doing a great job really, fair play to the chap:D:D:D
    Less trees, more cars ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

what a feckin idiot! hes doing a great job really, fair play to the chap:D:D:D

I sent him an e-mail a few months back about the new VRT thing, and his 'secretary' was the only person who replied about 2 months later, and he didn't even answer my initial question. What a tool. :mad:

Max_Damage wrote: »
    What a tool. :mad:

at least a tool is useful for something. :D:D:D:D

more than we can say for the greens!:P

oh yeah thanks to all who voted them in!:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Thanks to the man in the photo, Audi A4's are as much as €6,700 cheaper, a 520d is up to €9k cheaper, a Merc E220 CDI came down by €15k(not because of VRT but nevertheless it came down that much) and even Porsche Caymans and Boxsters will get cheaper once Porsche bring in the latest direct injection models.

How is this a bad thing folks:confused:?

When we went to collect our 520d, the garage seemed to be doing OK, though since we've never bought from them before I don't know how busy they would normally be at the start of the year, so I can't make any valid comparisons. They did say they expect to sell a lot of BMWs this month, with 318ds, 320ds and 520ds being the volume sellers.

E92 wrote: »
    Thanks to the man in the photo, Audi A4's are as much as €6,700 cheaper, a 520d is up to €9k cheaper, a Merc E220 CDI came down by €15k(not because of VRT but nevertheless it came down that much) and even Porsche Caymans and Boxsters will get cheaper once Porsche bring in the latest direct injection models.

When we went to collect our 520d, the garage seemed to be doing OK, though since we've never bought from them before I don't know how busy they would normally be at the start of the year, so I can't make any valid comparisons. They did say they expect to sell a lot of BMWs this month, with 318ds, 320ds and 520ds being the volume sellers.

i didnt say that new cars getting cheaper was bad.. my comments were generally based.. but with difficult times, his plan may be tweaked in the budget. look at all the value he has written off the second hand market 06 , 07 etc, not to mention flooding our air with diesel particulate matter!. as people supposedly go out and buy new diesel cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yeah, we are now in month 7 (Ya rly) - that's a big psychological factor. Punters may be thinking "Me car's trade-in value's phucked already enanyway, so I'm just gonna hold out til 09 at this stage. See wha' Joe Duffy tinks abou' dah!".

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The change in the VRT system imo is only a contributing factor to the current state of things.

Simple thing is that people are not spending money like they did upto 1 or 2 years ago. The housing market is in a similar state as the car market at the moment, hardly because of the change in VRT though?

Economic gloom, a global credit crunch, sky high cost of living, rising costs of fuel, etc are basically all contributing to an abrupt slow down of our economy from the Celtic Tiger to the possiblity of a recession.

While I don't support Gormely and Co or their policies I think their change to the VRT is just one factor, be it a poorly timed one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Dealers are so quick to complain about the bad times in the last 6 or so months... Where's all the money that they basically had free reign to print for the last 8 years gone...?

I think alot of people got caught out and wasted money on fancy showrooms and things that they didn't really need.

The government aren't to blame for THAT.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote: »
    The change in the VRT system imo is only a contributing factor to the current state of things.

Simple thing is that people are not spending money like they did upto 1 or 2 years ago. The housing market is in a similar state as the car market at the moment, hardly because of the change in VRT though?

Economic gloom, a global credit crunch, sky high cost of living, rising costs of fuel, etc are basically all contributing to an abrupt slow down of our economy from the Celtic Tiger to the possiblity of a recession.

While I don't support Gormely and Co or their policies I think their change to the VRT is just one factor, be it a poorly timed one.

+1. In reality though the recession has been running a while now. People stopped spending a good while back.

The low new car sales in 2008 are just a factor of that, and but for the VRT changes might have been even lower.

p.s. I strongly dislike the Government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

i didnt say that new cars getting cheaper was bad.. my comments were generally based.. but with difficult times, his plan may be tweaked in the budget. look at all the value he has written off the second hand market 06 , 07 etc, not to mention flooding our air with diesel particulate matter!. as people supposedly go out and buy new diesel cars.
    Open your eyes, there has never been a better time to buy a car! And don't most new diesels have DPFs?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Open your eyes, there has never been a better time to buy a car! And don't most new diesels have DPFs?

after having many diesel cars, my last one i changed back to petrol!
    just in time:D:D my eyes are open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

E92 wrote: »

How many people can afford and buy these models ?? The change on VRT is good but cars at the high end of the market with good CO2 emmisions are gaining most. The drop in Revenue will be collected by other means and as always it will be the less well off that will be effected most.

My mother always told me "That Green Vegatables are good for you". Has she looked at the govt. recently.

The local councils are also going to lose revenue with the change in the car tax and wait for the stealth taxes in the coming months coming from the local authority

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Two car dealers discussing this on Drivetime yesterday. Go to 37.20 for start, straight after AA Roadwatch. About 10 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

legs11 wrote: »

I'm NOT a FF supporter!!!!!!!!!!! Far from it, I hate the f*ckers, look closer at my sig!!!!!!!!!! I "modified" another posters sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Mortgage brokers laying staff off, estate agents taking pay cuts across the board, builders and tradesmen actually looking for work rather than dropping customers for the "big" job, and now car salesmen feeling the pinch?

My heart f*cking bleeds...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cjt156 wrote: »
    Mortgage brokers laying staff off, estate agents taking pay cuts across the board, builders and tradesmen actually looking for work rather than dropping customers for the "big" job, and now car salesmen feeling the pinch?

My heart f*cking bleeds...
    :D

Bottom line - bad times for those in the industry, great times for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Anan1 wrote: »
    :D

Bottom line - bad times for those in the industry, great times for the rest of us.

True.

I hope the decent, customer-focussed ones who actually know and care about the cars they sell can manage to see it through the rough times.

The rest of those spotty-faced, cheap-suited, widget-selling, unit-shifting, commision-chasing twonks can feck off down the dole office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

i do fell a small bit sorry for the "poor auld car dealer" and the "poor auld estate agent" "the poor auld property developer" "the poor auld Builder" at the moment,

you'll just have to downgrade to a smaller merc/bmw/audi and have 1 big holiday a year instead of 2 or 3!

But seriously, as other people said, its a confidence thing at the mom, less people are spending on Luxury items. and also its mid year, wait till jan 09.

Also the revenue said this whole vrt change had to be revenue neutral, and that clearly isnt going to happen if people are not buying, or buying smaller CO2 cars.

which means look out for big increases in everything in the Budget.
    in fact might be good to buy just before it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Are Car sales as bad as everyone seems to be making out?
    I done a qick check on cartell.ie and for 07 there was in and around 74500 new cars registered in Dublin. so far this year there are about 53000 cars registered. There is still half the year to go so cars sales will have a bit of time to catch up with last years.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Advertisement