Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words on New Provisional Licence Law

• 01-07-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Re: the new Provisional Licence Law

First for the most, I do understand the new law would save a lot of innocent lives on the road. However, I think it is not fair for the new drivers who are from outside Ireland. For instance, a person from other Country, he would like to learn driving, after achieved the provisional licence, the person would find it very difficultly (almost impossible) to find someone who’s holding a full driving licence for two years to practice with him during the 6 months restriction, because of less of contacts, because he’s not from Ireland and he doesn’t know many people here, so the person can not practice his driving skill, then, how could he pass the driving test? I don’t think people in such situation would pay big amount of money on the driving lessons for all these 6 months, they probably only get a few lessons just before the driving test, then, it will lost the purpose of the 6 months restrictions? If that the case, the test passing rate of the foreigners will be extremely low due to less of practicing time. The new law obviously give the foreigners much less opportunity to learning driving. It is not fair that the foreigners will have no chance to learn driving in Ireland. Ireland is a diversity Country nowadays, therefore, when we start a new law, which related to people’s everyday live, we should consider it from different angle before we release it. A consideration for all the people who are living in the Country would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

In fairness, its pretty hard for foreigners to drive in any country without previously holding a license in another country. Its not just an irish thing. I could be wrong, but in US you need to be a resident to get a license. Canada is the same afaik. Ireland is actually pretty lax in terms of obtaining a license. Most other countries have a lot more complicated process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I paid for driving lessons at the relevant time in my life. I wasn't insured to drive anyone else's car.

In other foreign countries, like Germany, for example, and France, there is no get out clause on being accompanied by a qualified driver. They even have mandatory minimum driving lesson requirements there. The UK will not countenance unqualified drivers on the road.

The rules, in other words, are not unique to Ireland and they can be adhered to regardless of your situation.

I'm also going to add that the subject of rules regarding unqualified drivers has been done to death here. This thread is being locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement