Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stag help/advice

Options
  • 01-07-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am the bestman for a wedding in January and of course i need to organise the stag. There will be approx 14 of us and i am looking at doing it in late November in Kilkenny.

This will not be the usual stag however of skobie knacks from Tallaght roaring, shouting, projectile vomiting all over the place and generally acting the maggot. There will be approx 6 of us from Galway and 6 from Clare/Kerry areas, plus both fathers! (Thats how sensible we are). We are all in our early 30's, some married with kids and others heading that way. So it will not be a case of 36 hours of solid drinking. Instead I am trying to plan a day of activities, dinner and then a night on the tiles. We would head down on a Thursday night and do the Friday and Saturday entertaining ourselves.

The sort of activities can be just about anything. Paint balling, clay pigeon shooting, karting, we are open to most things. But i need suggestions as to what there is in kilkenny. Price would not be that big an issue (as long as it's not astronomical) as we are all working professionals with a few quid in our pockets. Also we would not adverse to driving a few miles outside of kilkenny city if required.

So can anyone recommend things to do, places to go, restaurants and pubs in Kilkenny for late november? Also accomodation. Do you know of self catering apartments or hotels that would be willing to take a booking of 14? I will of course do my own research into this too but I'd appreciate any pointers or help you can give.

Thanks
    fozzie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

There's karting in Kiltorcan ---> http://www.kiltorcan.com/

Info on accomodation ---> http://www.kilkennycityonline.com/accom_self.asp They are all pretty nice places although I'd be skeptical about the property in Melville Heights, unless its the 2 houses together I dont know how you could fit 14.

Check out the thread on restaurants to get an idea of whats here. Personally I love Ripleys Steak House. Pubs are a matter of taste. Popular spots are The Left Bank, Hibernian bar, Tynans bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

You will have to go to Laois for the closest paintballing activity but they cater for large parties so it'd be worth contacting them.
    As mentioned already there is karting available. In general, group activities are seriously inactive here, but hopefully places like the bowling alley will be open by November.
    Other options would be theater and golf.

Popular pubs;

The Playwright, (Can get busy but can have a great atmosphere)
    Annaconda's, (Great music)
    Kyteler's Inn, (Can be a mad place though)
    Left Bank, (Older crowd)
    Rafter Dempsey's (Good music)
    Andrew Ryan's (Good music)

If you are a fan of younger crowds and chart/dance music;
    O'Faolain's (Gorgeous place but the clientele...)
    Biddy Early's (Cocktail bar)
    Morrisey's (Literally younger crowds...)

If you are a fan of participating in human stampedes, but popular pubs;
    Lanigan's (Actually a good pub in small doses)
    Langton's (Saturday night= mayhem)
    Matt The Millers (A good pub any night except on a Saturday. )
    Paris Texas (Not too busy these days)
    Morrison's (Crap pints)

Friday and Sunday night will be fairly quiet here but Saturday more than makes up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate you taking the time with the links and recommendations.

Some good pointers to get me started. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's a place just off the Ballyfoyle Road that does clay pigeon shooting, archery, air rifles etc. Having done the clay pigeon shooting myself, I can say it is great fun, despite the bruising your shoulder will take from the shotgun :D

Try phoning 056-7761791/7767649. Its not usually open when there's not a booked event going on so I don't know if their phones forward to a mobile or an answering machine or something.

Advertisement