Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear Switch Question

Options
  • 01-07-2008 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

hi all

Would appreciate your help with something that's been driving me mad this evening. Long post, sorry!

We have Eircom broadband with the usual Netopia router, wireless is turned off. Three of the ports on the router are patched through to wall sockets, all works fine.

I also have CAT5e cable everywhere with the aim of putting in a Sonos multiroom music system, NAS to hold the music, plus some video streaming, PC backup etc.

To this end I've bought a Netgear 24 port switch GS724T to handle the internal network, I originally wanted to keep the internet separate from this.

Now, to cut a long story short, I've had to plug one port of the switch into the Netopia router to use its DHCP, I then repatch the other ports through, and the PCs get DHCP leases and all works well.

The issue is I assume the switch must be getting an IP address from the router but I can't access the switch, ping it, nothing! I can ping the other machines on the network fine. I can also use the console on the switch when it's using its non-DHCP default address by manually configuring the IP address of a PC.

The DHCP range is from xxx.1 to xxx.200 and the first PC gets xxx.2 so I assume the switch is getting xxx.1 but I can't see it!

Cheers
    SSE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Now, to cut a long story short, I've had to plug one port of the switch into the Netopia router to use its DHCP, I then repatch the other ports through, and the PCs get DHCP leases and all works well.

What do you mean by repatch the other ports, you mean you patch the other ports of the router's switch to the netgear switch?

Surely all you need to do is plug a crossover cable from one of the ports on the router's switch to the net gear switch and all should work together?
    Of course newer switches can use a straight through? - Is there a special port dedicated to management?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

hi

What I meant (network configuration with the aid of Wolf Blass Cabernet not recommended!) is that I had three PCs plugged into the Eircom router (via patch panels etc.). So, I unplugged all from the router. I then plugged port 1 of the switch into the router and all three PCs into the switch. All three could connect to the internet fine.

I can't connect to or ping the switch in this scenario.
    The router appears to be assigning IP addresses to the PCs starting from xxx.2, so I assume the switch is xxx.1.

There's no special port AFAIK, I can use the web console but only if I boot the switch without DHCP so it gets the default IP address and I manually configure a PC to have an IP address on the same subnet.

Got me stumped anyway!
    SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You could be seperated by VLANs. Are all switch ports on the same VLAN, preferably VLAN 1 - the management VLAN in cisco at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Pininfarina

Download and install the Smart Wizard Discovery Program from http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/gs724tv2.asp - this does a layer 2 broadcast and should locate the switch and tell you what IP it is at.

hi guys

Thanks for that - you get that app. on a CD in the box. It finds the switch fine when not DHCP-ed, i.e. booted up standalone.

I'll have a look at the VLANs etc. - but it's a factory reset config.

Cheers
    SSE

• Advertisement

hi all

I gave the switch a static IP address outside the DHCP range the router leases out and all is fine now. I've also given the NASes static IPs.

Thanks again
    SSE

Advertisement