Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAMSUNG TOCCO

• 01-07-2008 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Vodafone have the Samsung Tocco on Pay Monthly.

Have been looking for a touch phone -

What do you all think.....

Cmon....talk to me :eek:

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

i work in an agents and had a girl in from samsung last Thursday, she brought in the tocco for us to use and i LOVED it! a class thing, cameras good(5MP) smile detection on photos was v cool.All in all i'd give it 8.5/10, screen might be slightly small if any1 has big fingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Called into Carphone Warehouse this afternoon.
    It's available on Meteor Billpay for 99 and on o2 billpay for 149.
    Didn't see any prices listed for Vodafone, and the guy didn't mention it.

I had a good look at the sample unit thingy they had (no actual phones in yet to play with unfortunately), and I must say it looks lovely, much smaller than I imagined and a good shape too. The shop guy says that we he had seen the phone itself the touchscreen and menu were very, very responsive, much more so than the Armani or the LG Prada. He also mentioned that it comes with the normal shell and also with a second shell that has a kind of a flip door protective screen thingy.

Seems fairly decent, not in any rush to get it just yet though, gonna wait to see what data packages Meteor offer on their new 3g. Might shell out before Christmas though. 'Tis a good phone, would definitely recommend it.

Don't forget the most important feature on this phone is that it has a T9 Gaeilge dictionary and a fully Gaeilge menu. Definitely useful features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I believe it has many of the flaws and limitations of the f700 etc etc
    read this short review:
    http://forums.ixplora.com/index.php?showtopic=794
    the camera seems to be not all that hot...5mp or not!
    wait for the omnia, it's wm-based and at least you can personalise it and add some classy 3rd party apps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I have a gold upgrade with o2 and I am really thinking of getting this phone. Anyone else buy it recently??? and as strecker said we would probably be better off waiting for the Samsung Omnia, but when is this phone going to be released???

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Looks very nice and what I've heard it handles well too. I'll always wary of handhelds with big screens, I feel like I'd break it quite easily if I wasn't super careful with it all the time. Thats why I never went near the iTouch or iPhone

• Advertisement

Looks very nice and what I've heard it handles well too. I'll always wary of handhelds with big screens, I feel like I'd break it quite easily if I wasn't super careful with it all the time. Thats why I never went near the iTouch or iPhone

the tocco's really gotten some bad reviews! And lol, the iphone's screen's pretty solid as is my asus' p550 screen.... On the other hand the n95 I's screen is, though brilliant to look at, very scary to touch!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭taibhse1966

Just bought it on a meteor upgrade for €49 - its great takes getting used to, only issue so far is the bloody back of it is so difficult to take off - I put it on without putting my sim in and it took 3 of us about an hour to work it off, pain in the arse hopefully won't need to do that too often. Deadly phone, looks soooooo cool :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Hi taibhse1966, thinking of getting it myself but is the camera any good? Currently have samsung G600 and when taking pic you need subject to be very very still when taking pic hope this is not case with tocco, looks cool though.

Hi DonFred, camera is very good so far when you take pics doesn't look great at first when you click the pic then it kind of gets clearer if you know what I mean. Any of the pics I've taken so far have turned out great including the 17 my 7 year old took when I left her alone with it, piece of toast, pair of shoes etc :)

Hi DonFred, camera is very good so far when you take pics doesn't look great at first when you click the pic then it kind of gets clearer if you know what I mean. Any of the pics I've taken so far have turned out great including the 17 my 7 year old took when I left her alone with it, piece of toast, pair of shoes etc :)

what's the screen like outdoors? Can you see details of things you're about to "snap", or is it all a bit "vague"???
    And as it doesn't have a qwerty, is the 3x4 at least responsive? And how many lines of text does it show while you're typing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

i work for meteor and got the store demo there few days ago so decided to use it for a bit, its good but:

the touch screen is way to sensitive, i mean like your tryin to write a message and it will just keep exiting it.

its totally impossible to write a message when moving walkin etc

the phone itself seems to scratch very easy

ok battery life, not great,

not alot of control over your own phone as in no themes except black or wwhite, you cant do simple things like erase recent recipients on ur texts, cant even erase the preset pictures put on the phone which are set as the screensaver which you also cant change so everytime you lock it ya get some lovely flowers on your screen haha.

overall 7/10 but far far far away from the quality i would have expected, a gimmick that you will enjoy for a day till your in a hurry and it takes half an hour to send a text

strecker wrote: »
    what's the screen like outdoors? Can you see details of things you're about to "snap", or is it all a bit "vague"???
    And as it doesn't have a qwerty, is the 3x4 at least responsive? And how many lines of text does it show while you're typing?

Hi strecker screen is fine like all screens if its very bright out can be difficult to see, not a big issue in Ireland at the moment given ****e weather and all. If you are like me and not used to the touchscreen it can be a little strange until you get used to it, I have to say the transition is like when I went from nokias only to sony ericssons two years ago the buttons are all different locations etc. but like I say I have had the phone a week now and I find I'm used to it and texting as normal with index finger now instead of thumbs :confused: if that makes sense. You can see about four lines of text top line is still visible but begins to disappear as you are typing fourth line. There is a cover that comes with that I have been using it kind of folds/flips over the screen and protects it when not in use.

Thanks for that :)

guess few phones can compete with nokia's in bright daylight, so I'm not surprised, really. As long as it's not F700-bad! Hahaha

onscreen keyboard doesn't bother me so much, but not seeing the real entry field when online e.g. when entering text, is sth to get used to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Lunabu

I'd been waiting for the Tocco for over 3 months, waiting for it to come out on the 3 network.
    I finally got it last week and liked it a lot. Some things were a bit awkward to do, but I thought I'd get used to them in time.
    Pity there are no games pre-installed on it, so I went on the Samsung website to download a game. Unfortunately, if you live in Ireland you're out of luck: so far there's no Irish premium text number to download games to the phone. Bit annoying as there's so many Samsung phones in this country (the download from Samsung would be cheaper than the download via the 3 network).
    The reason I returned the phone to 3 though is that I had problems getting on the internet. In several places where I could always get online with my Nokia E65, I was unable to connect to the network. So I decided to hand back the phone and the guy in 3 who I talked to confirmed that there were network issues with this model.
    I'll now go for the new LG Renoir which is more expensive than the Tocco but which I've read good reviews about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

My daughter is looking one of these for Christmas. :rolleyes:

From the a review of the spec the phone has no Wifi, right ? Anyway she will be able to access free internet ? I guess with an O2 sub she will get free Bebo at least.

I'd also be interested in the experience of people who are using this for a while now.

Thanks ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

i work for meteor and got the store demo there few days ago so decided to use it for a bit, its good but:

the touch screen is way to sensitive, i mean like your tryin to write a message and it will just keep exiting it.

its totally impossible to write a message when moving walkin etc

the phone itself seems to scratch very easy

ok battery life, not great,

not alot of control over your own phone as in no themes except black or wwhite, you cant do simple things like erase recent recipients on ur texts, cant even erase the preset pictures put on the phone which are set as the screensaver which you also cant change so everytime you lock it ya get some lovely flowers on your screen haha.

overall 7/10 but far far far away from the quality i would have expected, a gimmick that you will enjoy for a day till your in a hurry and it takes half an hour to send a text

u work for meteor? and u call urself 'perfect fit'?!! are u an undercover agent really working for voda? if so, if so i suggest you change ur name, its a bit of a give away to the trained mind:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 idealist

Hi,
    I bought Samsung Tocco in o2 2 weeks ago and I have to agree that it's not the greatest:( it's difcult to write text messages when u in hurry cos the screen is oversensitive; I also had a problem with receiving the contacts from old mobile-it only copied a half of my phonebook which was pretty annoying! It's also supposed to work with any handsfree but it doesn't work with mine at all even if I changed for the second one:mad:I prob will return it and get Sony Ericsson W760i-at least I would have good quality sound and GPS maps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

I've being having a nightmare with mine have it about 2 months the top half of my screen is frozen so i cant send a txt to a number that is not in my phone VERY ANNOYING and yesterday it seems to have started to spread down the phone to the middle of the screen:mad: i'm going to bring it back to them and i presume i wont have any probs bringing it back dont think i want another one though !! has anyone else had this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Hi all,

Looking at getting this phone, seems nice enough and has good reviews, does anyone know what they are like stock wise? I want to get a pink one :o but coming up to xmas what are my chances?

Also it comes in pay as you go dosent it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking at getting this phone, seems nice enough and has good reviews, does anyone know what they are like stock wise? I want to get a pink one :o but coming up to xmas what are my chances?

Also it comes in pay as you go dosent it?

Couldn't tell you what the stocks are like in shops for this phone, but the usual rule for Christmas would apply.....i.e. get one asap!!

They do come on pay as you go. What network are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

I recently upgraded to the Tocco...

Its by no means an iPhone.. but it is sleek and it does exactly what it says on the tin. I found it hard to adjust to texting ona touch screen but once you get used to it its deadly.

If you're a iPhone geek the Tocco doesn't have applications galour if thats your bag get a iPhone. I fyou want a nice touch phone thats cheap get the tocco.

Oh btw the internet is great on it too

I recently upgraded to the Tocco...

Its by no means an iPhone.. but it is sleek and it does exactly what it says on the tin. I found it hard to adjust to texting ona touch screen but once you get used to it its deadly.

If you're a iPhone geek the Tocco doesn't have applications galour if thats your bag get a iPhone. I fyou want a nice touch phone thats cheap get the tocco.

Oh btw the internet is great on it too

Yeah i agree with what you said. I have one for the last 3 months or so and it did take a bit of time to get used to, but once i got used to the touchscreen i really liked the phone.

I'm tempted to sell mine and get something different (i just get bored of phones very easily!!)....but i dont know what i should get?!

Bryn wrote: »
    Couldn't tell you what the stocks are like in shops for this phone, but the usual rule for Christmas would apply.....i.e. get one asap!!

They do come on pay as you go. What network are you in?

Im with meteor. Ill be going in to the shop tomorrow after work to pick one up just dont want to be dissapointed.

They never answer their phones either!!!!

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Im with meteor. Ill be going in to the shop tomorrow after work to pick one up just dont want to be dissapointed.

They never answer their phones either!!!!

I just checked the meteor website. If you can't get one in a shop, just order online, they say any order placed by the 17th of December will arrive for Christmas!

Bryn wrote: »
    I just checked the meteor website. If you can't get one in a shop, just order online, they say any order placed by the 17th of December will arrive for Christmas!

Yeh but I dont have a credit card..and the postman dosent like me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

i got one of these last week. i charged it on friday night and it seemed to turn itself off after about an hour and i had to take out the battery and do a bit of messing at it to get it to come back on. charged it last night again and after about 3 hours it had turned itself off and will not come back on no matter what i do. am i doing something wrong or is this phone a dud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Bring it back - there is definitely something wrong with your Tocco.

My Tocco has excellent battery life (e.g 2 days easily - 3 days with less use) BTW i use my phone all day every day

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sh0egal

Can anyone tell me this phone (Samsung Tocco) has smiley's in text messages....i know someone who had a different samsung phone and the little smiley's wouldn't come up in texts....

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

sh0egal wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me this phone (Samsung Tocco) has smiley's in text messages....i know someone who had a different samsung phone and the little smiley's wouldn't come up in texts....

:)

The tocco doesnt have the smileys on it. You can recreate the smileys tho, so the person you are sending the text to will see a :) if there phone is capable of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 sh0egal

Thanks for that Davy..... :)

Advertisement