Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos - October

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Gillie wrote: »
    The news is on the front page of the Weekender!

They are just guessing though as to locations and when and if it will open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Didn't read it. Just saw the headline!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I wonder are the new roadworks down around Doorly Park a reason why Argos decided to take the Cleveragh units now, as they had previously turned them down?

They were offered by Kevin Quinn but not necessarily to Argos directly. I think he may have told the chamber this and they didn't want to be one-uped!

Just my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

From yesterday's Weekender.......

' "Argos eyes up Sligo"
    By Robert Cullen

CATALOGUE retail giant Argos is looking for a new home in Sligo, three years after their last failed attempt to set up a store in the town.

The company confirmed to the Weekender that it had identified a number of potential locations for a new Argos store in Sligo.

Although it did not reveal where these locations were and at what stage the assessment of these new premises was at, the Weekender understands that all the premises being considered are within the borough boundary.

It is also understood a number of technical staff from Argos have examined premises in Sligo town with a view to suitability for a retail outlet for the firm.

Argos has twice tried to locate a store in Sligo, both times at Carraroe Retail Park. The first application, from sister company Homebase, was scuppered in July 2004 after it clashed with guidelines in the Sligo & Environs Development Plan. The second was given the green light by Sligo Borough Council in September 2005, but was withdrawn by Argos after the decision was appealed.

Following the withdrawal, a spokesperson for Argos did confirm that Sligo would continue to be a focus for the retailers. “Sligo remains a high priority target town for us and we will continue to seek appropriate representation.”

As a result of previous problems, Carraroe looks an outside bet for Argos to try to secure. Given the nature and size of Argos stores elsewhere in Ireland, large warehouse-size retail outlets are the obvious target.

Units in Cleveragh Retail Park are still available for occupancy, while a major new retail development was given the go-ahead near Dunnes Stores in Cranmore in July 2007.

People in Sligo want to see Argos come to the county. An independent survey carried out in 2005 found that 97 percent wanted an Argos store in Sligo. A Weekender phone poll at the same time registered 90 percent in favour of an Argos outlet in the town.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Although it did not reveal where these locations were and at what stage the assessment of these new premises was at, the Weekender understands that all the premises being considered are within the borough boundary.
    Pffft. Wasting their time. Inside the borough = chamber of gobsh..... erm I mean Chamber of Commerce. Nuff Said!.
    People in Sligo want to see Argos come to the county. An independent survey carried out in 2005 found that 97 percent wanted an Argos store in Sligo. A Weekender phone poll at the same time registered 90 percent in favour of an Argos outlet in the town.'

Hmmm, I see the Weekender is telling us something we already knew....AGAIN! Won't matter one iota though...... I'll belive it when i see it, thats all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hopefully it won't take much to get it up and running. Remember when Burger King was gutted inside, Easons were there in no time at all. I know it was an existing building but if Argos have already picked out their premises then we are in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

My money's on that they'll push through in time for Christmas - stupid of them not to really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Pffft. Wasting their time. Inside the borough = chamber of gobsh..... erm I mean Chamber of Commerce. Nuff Said!.

Hmmm, I see the Weekender is telling us something we already knew....AGAIN! Won't matter one iota though...... I'll belive it when i see it, thats all I can say.

So optimistic around here :rolleyes:

So optimistic around here :rolleyes:

It's nither sarchastic optimism or pessemism, it's a logical follow on from past events. The Chamber will stamp their feet again on this (see previous threads on this subject)

I hope it does come to Sligo, I really do. Just don't see it is all

• Advertisement

The chamber have no grounds on which to stop Argos moving into Cleveragh!

None whatsoever.

Gillie wrote: »
    The chamber have no grounds on which to stop Argos moving into Cleveragh!

None whatsoever.

Can't see how that makes a difference tbh. They will still maintain that its taking away from their business

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Can't see how that makes a difference tbh. They will still maintain that its taking away from their business
    Because the reason argos were stopped from going to carraroe retail park was because certain types of products can't be sold out side of the town boundaries. Cleveragh retail park isn't outside of the town boundaries so Argos can't be stopped from going there. If I remember correctly, didn't the chamber give argos the option of moving to the cleveragh retail park when they first showed an interest?

Because the reason argos were stopped from going to carraroe retail park was because certain types of products can't be sold out side of the town boundaries. Cleveragh retail park isn't outside of the town boundaries so Argos can't be stopped from going there. If I remember correctly, didn't the chamber give argos the option of moving to the cleveragh retail park when they first showed an interest?

AFAIK it was Kevin Quinn who suggested they move there. He owns Cleveragh Business park. Argos probably just didn't bother when they were knocked back. Couldn't blame them TBH!

Its official, front page of the weekender.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Great news all round. Definitely be great for the town. It is about time they came here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is it true the Weekender went with the headline along the lines of "Argos are coming to Sligo.. and they can't be stopped!"?

Possibly sounds a bit more threatening than they originally imagined! :D

basquille wrote: »
    Is it true the Weekender went with the headline along the lines of "Argos are coming to Sligo.. and they can't be stopped!"?

Possibly sounds a bit more threatening than they originally imagined! :D

Yep thats what it says.
    Unit 4 Cleveragh retail part. Planning permission for a catalogue store was granted in 2004.
    Planning notice has gone on the unit for Argos signage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Glad to see the chamber of commerce get a bit of a kicking, about 10-15years too late for the towns general well being im afraid, but nice none the less

I assume the thread were people will be complaining about the furniture being cr*p and the general shoddness of their product range will become a sticky:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

now, if we could just get M&S, could be a possible new thread

:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

irish-stew wrote: »
    now, if we could just get M&S, could be a possible new thread

:D
    Ah no dont stir! :P Braces herself for reels of threads on M&S.:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Wasn'r M&S supposed to be moving into an extended Quayside incorporating Emmet Place? It was, but what with the recession and all....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

il gatto wrote: »
    Wasn'r M&S supposed to be moving into an extended Quayside incorporating Emmet Place? It was, but what with the recession and all....:rolleyes:

did hear about that as well, although planning permission could play a big part there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

il gatto wrote: »

You wont see them for years, recorded mad losses last 1/4 and with the downturn their food, all prepackeged and overpriced is gonna get hit, more likely to see them closing stores than opening them.

truth be told i dont see the great want for argos except for the stupidity of them not being allowed in in the first place

some good bits and bobs but overall not exactly quality merch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

elshambo wrote: »
    You wont see them for years, recorded mad losses last 1/4 and with the downturn their food, all prepackeged and overpriced is gonna get hit, more likely to see them closing stores than opening them.

truth be told i dont see the great want for argos except for the stupidity of them not being allowed in in the first place

Now 'Waitose" might be another thing all together. Might even start up a thread meself on them.;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

elshambo wrote: »

We want Argos because the most of the merchandise that is available in Sligo is not very good quality and is overpriced. The range of goods in Argos is more than what Sligo can offer and more. One example, we couldn't find hoover bags for our hoover in the whole of Sligo and surroundings - we looked everywhere. We were in Cork and the first shop we go into has them.
    I can't wait till Argos comes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I agree, its the principle of it. Why shouldn't we have an Argos? It will benefit the town in many ways. There are plenty of businesses here I have no interest in but I would support their right to be able to trade unhindered by a crowd of busybodies the Chamber of Commerce.

Personally, I love Argos for the ease of shopping, browse at home, ring & reserve etc, the value, and the selection. For young people starting a home and family it can be a godsend with regards to furniture, sure none of it is going to become an heirloom, but you can sit on it for ten years until you can afford better. All good imo.

Bring it on. I'm glad its going ahead. Not too far away from me, and its about time too.

Eat that Chamber of Narrow minded Commerce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

The new Argos catalogue will be handed out on Saturday at Hombase for anyone thats interested in picking one up!

• Advertisement

The new Argos catalogue will be handed out on Saturday at Hombase for anyone thats interested in picking one up!

Excellent

Advertisement